Would you be able to share the amounts to use when cutting the recipe in half? We were asking him today what it is called and he told us it is called orechovnk. Your email address will not be published. I hope you still enjoy them! Question: how do you roll out the dough in such a perfect rectangle? Michele, I have made this recipe two years ago and just loved it so I decided to make it this year. Thanks for sharing. I made 1/3 of the recipe to fit in my bread machine, for the filling I used pecans as I am not a fan of walnuts. Thank you so much for the kind words, Merry Christmas to you! These look delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe! Lost the recipe that I used for years and this one matches it. ), and the rolls came out perfect !! Enjoy! I make several of them to give as Christmas gifts ( always a hit!) Thank you for sharing your nut roll recipe. Not so much that you taste it over the other ingredients but enough that it really changes the moistness of the entire kolachi. So excited to see these and have directions! Shea also used to ADD Chocolate to it and she made a Poppy seed version. Could I freeze leftover nut mixture from my nut rolls. I have been baking these for the last 4 years and the flavor is outstanding. When we moved to Michigan no one knew what they were. Ive been making nutroll since I was a little girl and Im 59. I was just curious if there was a specific reason you use white over brown. It has brought back many great memories. All the old timers are gone, so no one to ask. Roll and place on baking sheet seam side down 1 inches apart. A very different dough that has no yeast or sour cream in it. Fill with fillings. However, the tradition is alive and well in our home. (For what its worth, I think my grandma used Robin Hood exclusively!). . Have you ever substituted Pecans for the Walnuts? This will be my go to nut roll recipe. Thank you, thank you! I have never made kolachi before, not ever ! Hi, I just spent the day making these nut rolls. They look great, too. Otherwise, pretty much the same and I can say it is the best dough Ive ever had. Any roll Ive ever eaten in my 44 years has the dough tasting like bland white bread. MICHELLE Thank you so much for bringing my grandmas German Nut Roll recipe back to me. Nut roll? Slovak Apricot Roll Recipes Thank You! I didnt change the recipe much, but I held back a bit of the flour, and none of my rolls split oven. Thank you!!!!!! My moms family is from south of Pittsburgh and these nut rolls look just like my grandmas! Can you recommend something that will make the dough bake well but not become stiff or hard. So many of us do not have experience necesseary to know this so a picture would be very helpful. , Web Nov 22, 2011 - Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. This time everything worked out well but I found after 25 minutes interiorly it still seemed a little soggy or not quite baked. Cut dough into 3-inch squares; top each with 1 teaspoon preserves. This looks (and the recipe reflects the flavors of) my Babcia (Grandmothers) nut rolland it was always thought of as a Polish thing at Christmas. I have a different recipe from you for nut rolls that I had issues with everytime. They are very good but not what I want. Made these a few days ago. So now I will need to try another batch to see if this is true. Please help me. Your site is where Ive found so many similar ones, it certainly must be a Pittsburgh thing, although I wouldve never guessed initially and only came to the conclusion after scouring the internet for some nostalgia. My husband thinks that this recipe is almost as good as his moms! Form dough into 7 or 8 balls. Thanks for letting me comment! The apricot rolls didnt split. I plan to make these with my granddaughter as her junior year in college will be remote and we can have some time together. Blend in the flour. :). I made these won derful rolls today following the recipe to the t except I found that the raising time of one hour was sufficient. This is what I do every time I use yeast. I think the alternate filling you describe is poppy seed filling. They are GREAT but a lot of work which is okay. Original recipe says 3 packets, so should 2 packets work? She passed away when I was a teen. salt 2 sticks (1 c.) butter 1/2 c. warm water (105-115 deg.) Since hes passed away my mom has been buying the rolls from a German bakery each year. Im not sure what I did wrong this afternoon, this year I used my new stand mixer that I got for a gift, the dough was really sticky no matter how much flour I added.I had mixer on medium before I realized it, put it on low after could that have done it? I have used this recipe for the last several years! The filling is to die for and I dont even like nuts. Required fields are marked *. My question, after 1 hr. I will comment again after I make them this Christmas 2022! Step 2: Making the Dough Hi Lorraine, Yes you could sprinkle the dry yeast over the liquid, it will still bloom. But the recipe and ratios are spot-on! Auggie I have an old recipe from my 89 year old aunt from Pittsburgh. I live at high altitude. Absolutely delicious recipe with easy to follow directions. Watch. A lot of rolls like to split out the sides (not just the seam) when baking. Also Apricot filling is also very delicious, You can use apricot preserves if you do ot like poppyseed or nut fillings. Web Dec 6, 2015 - Slovak Kolache (Nut Rolls): Kolache, or nut rolls, have been a Christmas and Easter favorite in my family for at least 5 generations. Kolaches are the little cookies that are folded with a prune or apricot filling. Ive been using this recipe for many years. Can you give directions on how to handle the dough for a novice? Additionally, I appreciated how the author made note of how to tell that the dough is not too dry, so as to eliminate the problem of the loaves splitting open during baking. My grandmother made nut roll for us Christmas and Easter. Wish me luck!! We always called it potecia. 2) Filling needs spices- cinnamon and ground clove. Heat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. I followed the directions and the only mistake I made was rolling from the bottom up instead if side to side. Ive tried everything I could think of smaller rolls, larger rolls, more filling, less filling, thinner, thicker. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and add the ground walnuts. Slowly add flour mixture and mix until combined and smooth. Soften the butter and cream cheese by taking it out of the refrigerator for about 15 minutes while you collect all of the other ingredients and baking , Web Preheat oven to 350F (180C), place a rack in the middle. You could certainly try baking more at once, I just cant guarantee how they would turn out. Thank you for a really great recipe. I ran out of filling after 4 mine were SO filled and delicious. What do you think. Cindy & Michelle, I too have been trying to make these for years. Then sort of smash and carefully spread the filling with the back of a flexible scraper of the back of a large spoon carefully so you dont tear the dough. Web Dissolve yeast in warm milk. I hope I can find this again. I made this and while the taste was great, I found the dough to be really oily to work with. Hi Kathy, Each packet is 2 1/4 teaspoons, so I would do 3 teaspoons + a heaping 1/4 teaspoon to halve the recipe. Anytime I make these I feel like my mom is looking over my shoulder. Hi Mia, I have not tried refrigerating the dough, but I think that would be okay. Do not let the milk simmer or boil. I originally shared this nut roll recipe with you nearly six (SIX!) (I cannot find cake yeast). (OK, have to tell this story. You have to get the proper consistency in order to be able to spread the filling without pulling the dough out of shape after its rolled out. For glaze, in a bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, cold milk and remaining fruit spread. Thanks so much for the recipe. Dont give up. I too was afraid to use the yeast recipes. We will be making 2 batches today, rest tomorrow. This is a winner!!!! Thank you so much for the recipe. Then I remembered after rolling up the nut roll on the second 2, I pulled the edge around the finished roll to make sure nut filling was encased and then pinched the dough together. Plop the dough on top and press gently to push some crystals into the dough. I switched to a sharper/better knife and didnt have that problem. Dough can be rolled in an oblong shape and the walnut or fruit filling spread evenly, within a 1/2 inch or so of the edge. You can buy nut roll from bakeries and tons of churches in this area around the holidays, but Im always surprised once I dig in and tackle them at how uncomplicated they are. The taste and texture is a great upgrade. I halve the recipe as I only have enough pans to make 4 LARGE rolls. Cover bowl and set aside to rise. Ive never added graham crackers to the nut mixture. The recipes are very similar- but I am going to use some of your ideas as my recipe does not melt the butter and I do not like working with the softened butter as it does not mix in the eggs well. Interestingly, it was my Aunt who made this treat for the family every year. Everyone has a different preference, depending on what they grew up with, be it sweet dough, a cookie-like dough, loose filling, tight filling. I weighed all of the ingredients to the recipe. It does blow out and leak on occasion and I was told thats probably the best roll and we keep that one (sometimes two) for our own use. They were done by just over 20 minutes. Hi Natasha, You would likely need to bake longer since the filling would be much more dense. They freeze well, and I thawed one out for my sisters visit in May. Drain and puree in food processor. Not so with this recipe. Web Steps: Prepare two fillings. Everytime I tried them, the roll would bust open in places and the filling would ooze out. Hi Kathy, Mine does too! No one has made it since she passed away. We were so thrilled but the directions are vague at best. It came out amazing! Thanks for the awesome recipe! These look just like the nut-rolls that I remember growing up! My Polish grandmother always made nut-roll during the holidays. All my polish aunts also made the best nut roll. Cream together thoroughly the butter and cream cheese. We are going to make this Nut Roll recipe together for our enjoyment and some to give away my son cant wait to bake up some memories. Your instructions as well as tips are very helpful. Though I do save about a quarter of cup for using on the board for rolling. 1/2 cup raisins (optional) Ive had no problems with splitting since doing this. It was the only nut roll (kolachi) I ever really liked because it wasnt dry like so many are. I used Rhoades frozen bread dough and saved a lot of time! I knew these were the real deal when I saw the sour cream and cake yeast. I come from a Croatian family and this is authentic! Bake on middle rack until golden brown approximately 10-20 minutes. I have not been able to find it, so for years I have been using packaged yeast and hoping I have used the right amount in all my Aunt old recipes. I followed your instructions so wouldnt crack.the side still did and I even lowered temp to 325. Also, I use honey instead of sugar, I want to know if once I make the dough, is it possible to freeze it after it rises until I get time to roll it out to finish making them? This recipe does NOT dissapoint. Hi Barbara, Each yeast packet is 2.25 teaspoons, so half of three packets would be 3 and 1/3 teaspoons. By cutting the count to 6, the rolls have turned out perfectly, just like my grandmas.Great recipe! It will make it easier to achieve a 14x9 final rectangle. Awww! Do not let all the water evaporate. i love your blog, i also am a pittsburgher! Thanks! Cut out circles using a round cookie . I also used this recipe for poppy seed rolls but I did not use store-bought filling. We made it today and it is delish! This recipe is the only one I could find with exact ingredients and clear cut instructions. every year for Christmas. Categories Yeast Bread. The oven? now and we love it. This is my go-to nut roll recipe and has been for years, and I hope Ive made it a little bit easier for you to tackle it. Add 4 tablespoons warm milk; mix well. Ive never forgotten this special treat! My husband has already devoured the two ends of one nutroll already. In Hungary, we have a very similar traditional christmas dessert. Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and gently punch it down. My mother in law has been making Kolache for years, and its the only Christmas sweet my husband will eat. My grandma had a deep freezer chest in her basement, but it wasnt full of nut roll, haha! I cannot wait to try your recipe for nutroll. Ive never had a problem with the 2016. Do the same with the other roll. Hi Sylvia, Different brands of butter use different amounts of salt, so by using unsalted butter and adding your own, you know exactly how much is being added to the recipe. I made a few rolls and gave them away to family and neighbors on Christmas Eve last year. In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the eggs on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute. Thanks, Your recipe is almost exactly like my grandmothers Kolace recipe which she brought with her when she emigrated to America in the early 1900s. I have found that when I use that recipe I dont have blowouts. Awesome post, Michelle. Strictly a preference. Allow them to cool, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then in foil. Im trying the last 2 rolls at a lower temp and longer baking time. Recipes 138 Show detail Preview View more . The only part I have not yet figured out is how to get them to brown so pretty like yours.Mine taste awesome but tend to keep the original color of the dough with just a hint of browning to it. Good Morning. Sounds like you have great memories of these nut rolls, too, backenforth. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. I should have searched here first! What difference does it make? :-). Judith, you will not like this answer but no one can give you an exact measurement of the flour. A few questions. Thanks. She always used Solo brand. The recipe I use is very similar to the one posted here. I make these every year and love them as gifts. I hope that helps!! Im a seasoned baker and have a few questions to clarify. Can this be made with a sweet poppyseed filling? This is one of the recipes I remember eating every year around Christmas. I make 50-12 legs every year for the Xmas holdays. Hi Natasha, Im really not sure, as Ive never tried to make nut roll that way trial and error! Great tip! perfectly moist and rises beautifully. roll out thin, a small piece at a time. We split the dough and filling in equal parts before rolling. Remove from heat and stir in, until well blended, 3 tablespoons butter, 5 tablespoons sugar, baking soda, and salt. I have made this recipe wth every flour on the market only King Arthur reg all purpose flour produced rolls that did not split following this recipe EXACTLY. Bake for about 15 minutes until the edges . Thank you for sharing. Yield 7 or 8 loaves. Thanks a bunch! Question: I used my Kitchen Aid mixer but once I got to 8 cups of flour the dough was pushing out of the bowl. We grew up having these fresh Christmas morning. WowI havent seen anybody but my mom and grandma make these nut rolls. So, we are thrilled to try this! I have used dry yeast, 1 and 1/2 packets and the amount of water recommended on the package for that amount of yeast. Your email address will not be published. In 3 hours the yeast will have overworked. Why have you changed it? Thanks for sharing! First of all READ the entire recipe before you start! Oh my gosh, we have a recipe that me and mom use to prepare like this. i just re-read the recipe and see where it rises. Our company has been flipping homes in Federal Heights for years and its getting harder to sell houses, Can you use instant dry yeast in these nutrolls. Finally, I hit the kolachi with melted butter as soon as they came out of the oven as someone suggested.