Verdict. It's way more ergonomic than the Bugout and I'd say roughly the same size/capabilities. Benchmade Bugout vs Bailout - Knivesandtools By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. The Benchmade Bugout blade has a traditional shape since it has a drop point blade which is a conventional shape for most knives. Spyderco vs Benchmade: The Ultimate Folding Knife Comparison Benchmade VS. Spyderco. Also, the opening and closing mechanisms are super smooth. Click The Button Below To Check Price On Amazon And See Customer Reviews: I prefer the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 for a few reasons. If your budget cant stretch too far and you dont need a premium knife, Spyderco is probably the way to go here. It's still a pretty sketchy proposition for someone in your situation. Spyderco has a wide collection of high-quality sharpeners that can be used on blades of all forms. Hey everyone! Also, Benchmade offers laser marking services for personalizing knives at affordable rates. You can easily use one hand when handling the Benchmade Bugout to get the expected cut. Click The Button Below To Check Price On Amazon And See Customer Reviews: That being said, I also really like the Benchmade Bugout, and if you prefer the blade shape, look, or locking mechanism, you will absolutely not be disappointed by picking one up, In the end, a good pocket knife should be ergonomic with a unique locking mechanism that offers the best pocket clip and carry position. The Bugout has been in production for a few years now, and Benchmade is doing a really good job putting them out with consistency at this point, in my experience. Choosing the right handle is based on your personal preference and how it feels in your hand. In addition, I also gathered a lot of feedback from my friends in the survivalist community through the years. I am not trying to compare the two knives to each other, I'm more so looking to get opinions on which one I should get for my next knife which will be my only knife purchase for a while. Both Benchmade and Spyderco use a wide variety of high-grade steel and aerospace-grade handle materials for their knives. This is a locking system that incorporates a spring-tensioned bar and a track thats hidden inside the handle. The diamond-patterned texturing on the handle also feels reassuring in hand. The GiantMouse Knives ACE Biblio is an Absolutely Amazing Knife for the Money If youre looking at some outdoor action, this is the right tool for the job. Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Vs Benchmade 940 [Which Is The Best Knife For All in all, both knives have very high quality locking mechanisms that lock out the blade very securely and allow the blade to deploy smoothly. As the popularity of the brand grew, Spyderco set up a worldwide distribution and manufacturing network. If customization is your thing, I'd go PM for sure. Persurvive may earn a small commission from affiliate links in this article. This has a little to do with after-sale service (well touch on that next) and is linked with the brand image of the company. Spyderco Paramilitary 2. If you want a knife to defend yourself, this is a solid option. Thread Tools. That allows a user to choose a blade based on the requirements. And that can make the difference between life and death in a survival scenario. Moreover, it has spring tension bars with a track inside the handle, making the knife an appropriate pocket knife. So many knives. . You get a lifetime warranty from both brands. These knives are manufactured in China to keep the price low while retaining the various trademark qualities of the brand. However, that doesnt mean Spyderco warranty or after-sale service isnt adequate. By moving the spring bar, you can release the lock and close the knife. Versus. So, if you are a budget buyer and still looking for dependable quality, Spyderco is the better choice. There are no issues with the handle ergonomics either. , - . Beyond that, Benchmade offers Lifesharp support for their knives through a dedicated team of technicians. This is where the most apparent and easy-to-notice differences are. If you want speed and dont mind assisted opening knives, then Benchmades axis lock is top-class. With all of this being said, Spyderco isnt the lone dog in this and faces some stiff competition from Benchmade. Chaparral LW vs. (new) BM Mini Bugout - Spyderco Forums Also, the symmetrical design helps if you are lefty. Pros. Because of my experience with BM I'd like to maybe grab the Bugout as a slimmer option if I want to carry a BM that day. FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly! This is reflected in the price though, so it balances out in the end. It has a bit of a leaf-like shape to it and a high-performance full flat grind, I really like the full flat grind on this knife because it makes the blade very strong and you can still get it extremely sharp (its razor sharp right out of the box), The full flat grind is also great for cutting, slicing, and dicing, and you also can get the Paramilitary 2 with a PlainEdge or the SpyderEdge, which is Spydercos version of a serrated blade, The Para 2s blade also features the traditional Spyderco deployment hole which allows you to open the knife easily with one hand, And there is jimping on the spine and finger choil to help give you greater control when making fine or precise cuts, Now Like I mentioned earlier, the handle is made from G-10 and it has stainless steel liners in it. Best compact size alternative - Zero Tolerance ZT 0022. . I'd say go for the Spyderco even if not the Para 3. With the compression lock, you get rock-solid security. That makes it suitable for left-hand and right-hand use. This knife is made in the USA. Spyderco allows you to choose between plain and serrated edges for most of their knives. , , . Benchmade released the 535 Bugout in the latter half of 2017. To many, the Bugout is as good as they come for lightweight everyday knives, but the new Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight and some of Spydercos other models are vying for position of being the best one on the market. The G-10 is textured, and really locks the knife into your hand when youre using it, Its also very comfortable and ergonomic, and G-10 is a strong material that can handle the tough use that an EDC knife goes through, Last, Spyderco offers the Paramilitary 2 in a variety of blade colors and handle colors. That being said, Benchmades quality control issues are often overstated and arent as widespread as many would have you believe. He started his knife design career by building customized Balisong knives. Benchmade Mini Bugout vs Spyderco Para 3 - Page 2 But its super secure and extremely reliable in survival situations. This is a much simpler system that has minimum moving parts. The blade is perfectly centered and for locking theres is a lock back. Blade deployment is super smooth and the deep carry pocket clip is a practical addition. ], Spyderco Civilian Vs Matriarch [Which Is The Right Knife For You? It offers a robust and super lightweight design that is comfortable to handle. Spyderco Vs. Benchmade: Best Folding Knives - Expert World Travel Personally, I believe the Para 3 LW is an absolute bargain for what you are getting. Two favourites among knife enthusiasts when it comes to practical, lightweight EDC pocket knives. I created this site to help people who are new to knife ownership or who need a little extra information when deciding which is the right knife they should get. St. Nick's Knives and Winter Timber Outdoors Join Forces August 02, 2019, 147 comments You may spend a little more but at least buying it in person you will get to see what you like, and you can make sure that you get a good one. Both brands use excellent quality steel in their premium knives, with Benchmade taking a slight lead in terms of material quality. ! Sep 16, 2019. Thats it. ! That said, both Benchmade and Spyderco offer extremely reliable blades, irrespective of the price tag. . If youre a lefty (or ambidextrous) then youd likely be paired better with a Benchmade knife as their symmetry helps you out a lot. The 3.42-inch blade comes with a full flat grind and is razor-sharp. You most likely wont find a similarly priced knife from Benchmade. Benchmade VS. Spyderco : r/knives - Reddit , . This isnt necessarily a bad feature as theyre just as lightweight (often even lighter and slimmer than their Benchmade counterparts). That is why we will compare the two standard models for this versus: the Para 3 Lightweight with CTS BD1N steel and the Bugout with CPM S30V steel. , . Really the best knife between these two is going to be your decision. Benchmade offers symmetrical designs and focuses more on premium options. Their lock mechanism has stood the test of time since it was designed in 1988. It also doesnt completely disappear. Since Benchmade knives are made in the US, their products come with a higher price tag. I currently own both the bugout and the para3 lightweight. One other advantage that the Bugout has over the Para 3 Lightweight at the time this is being written is that the Bugout can be had in both a Blue handle and Ranger Green handle direct from Benchmade. , . Take what you learn here and go get your hands on a couple of knives from each of the two brands. Unfortunately I wont be able to share exact numbers with you in this category because the prices on these knives are changing all the time, That being said, youll usually find that the Paramilitary 2 is somewhere in the range of 35 to 120 bucks less expensive than the Benchmade 940, Like I mentioned earlier, the Benchmade 940 has a few different variations that really have a huge range in price (because of the different blade steels), and that makes it really difficult to peg down the price difference. - . , . If you prioritize safety and consistency, then you might want to go for Spydercos compression locks. The final result delivers excellent slicing action. On average, Benchmade knives tend to be more expensive when you compare competing knives. The blade is on the thinner side, but it can handle tough tasks like a champ. The good news is that Benchmade is aware of the issue and is constantly trying to improve quality control to bring you the best quality possible. vavadacaz.ru The overall quality is nothing short of top-notch. Dont let the price deceive you though. . Spyderco vs Benchmade: 2023 Expert Review and Breakdown - PERSURVIVE Better ergos with a less finicky lock. , , ! , . The Para Military 2 also features Spyderco's patented Compression Lock mechanism, which provides a secure and easy one-handed opening and closing. Since Spyderco outsources its manufacturing to other countries, its products are relatively cheaper. However, they are pricey and the collection might confuse the uninitiated looking for a simple field sharpener. but its still pretty discreet and the extra bit of handle sticking out of your pocket makes the knife very easy to get to. Compare that to Spyderco's Para 3 Lightweight - that's the lightest version of that model of the knife, and it's still nearly an ounce heavier than this option from Benchmade! While this area comes down to personal preference, just bear in mind that youll adapt quickly to the opening and closing action. It is created with a compression lock and weighs 3.75 oz. ]. Now the handle on the Paramilitary 2 is made from G-10, and again, I think this was a good choice by Spyderco because G-10 is a tough handle material, It can take a lot of abuse, but at the same time, its pretty lightweight and it feels incredibly comfortable in your hand. The blade shape on the Benchmade 940 is a reverse tanto. So now that you know a little about the history of how Spyderco designed the Para 3 and where it can trace its roots back to as well as some about Benchmade and the background of the Bugout, here are some important factors to consider between the two. Benchmade Bugout vs. Paramilitary 2?? : r/knives - Reddit Materials like CPM-S90V are used by both brands to ensure corrosion resistance and edge retention. This is mainly because I dont like assisted opening pocket knives and most of the knives Ive used in the past have a similar lock design. Honestly, I think both are a fantastic win and a refreshing move away from everything being overbuild and unnecessary heavy. . The blade is perfectly centered and for locking theres is a lock back. The blade release is swift and snappy, while still being reliable and durable enough for everyday use. The method ensures smooth and safe ambidextrous operation. Price Price is generally a very important factor for many knife enthusiasts and really anybody so Spyderco wanted to price the Para 3 LW as economically as possible at only $91 to make it more attainable for people that might not to buy as expensive of a knife or are on a tighter budget. Both the Bugout and Para 3 LW have a similarly heat treated blade and will likely perform extremely similarly so this one is really a tossup. Its actually a smaller version of another one of their popular knife designs, the Military model, which was designed for forward deployed military personnel, Because the Military model had to be a tough knife, it had to be built to a high standard and use high quality materials, And because the Paramilitary 2 is a scaled down version for the Military, it maintains those high standards of build quality, Now the Paramilitary 2 comes in a number of different blade steels, but the most common version uses CPM S30V, CPM S30V is considered a premium blade steel, and I think it was a great choice of steel to go with by Spyderco, I like it because its strong, its corrosion resistant, and it holds an edge pretty well. Bear in mind that many of these points are going to be somewhat subjective and experience is often the best guide when choosing your next knife. 1 10-15 . Hey, my name is Dave, and Im an avid knife collector. Moreover, the handle is comfortable and would suit any hand size, and is easy to use as it offers traction, which is needed when using the knife. The same can more or less be said for the Native 5 LW considering it is $6.50 more and the only real advantage, a marginal one based on various tests done, is the S30V steel blade compared to the CTS BD1N. The Spyderco Paramilitary 2 comprises CPM-S30V blade steel and stainless-steel lined G-10 handle scales in a bomb-proof warrantied package. I also really love that the clip is fully adjustable on the Paramilitary 2, It can be set up for tip down carry, which is my personal preference, and with the Benchmade 940 youre stuck with tip up carry (which isnt the end of the world, but if i can get tip down carry, thats what I want). 20$. The bugout is one of the most famous knife ever made it is obvious, but you also have people swear that the para m2 is better. Overall, both the Bugout and Para 3 LW are excellent options and I couldnt fault you for getting either one or both of them. Besides, as an EDC knife, its a relatively budget-friendly option too. JavaScript is disabled. All in all, this is one of the most reliable knives from Spyderco for outdoor lovers and survivalists. Posted on Jul 22, 2019 by Dylan Munroe. In each brands premium range the quality is exceptional but youll pay a bit more for the Benchmade option. ], Benchmade 940-1 Vs 940-2 [Which Knife Is Better For You? Weve looked at the most important and pressing differences between these fantastic brands so theres still more to dig into if you need to. That is the kind of choice that is actually easy since both are very good , whatever will be your pick you will the fine with it. The Spyderco Paramilitary 2 knife has a standard 3-hole pocket clip which makes it highly functional and practical, Moreover, the knife is highly ergonomic, allowing the knife to perfectly lock in and out of its closed and opened position. When buying a pocket knife, you have to consider blade steels, handle material, locking mechanism, and clip style. Benchmade will replace worn-out parts and resharpen the knife for free. ], Spyderco Manix 2 vs Paramilitary 2 [Which Is The Better Knife For You?]. Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight vs Benchmade Bugout Since I prefer the curved handle design of Spyderco knives, I will go with them. , . If youre used to the traditional pocket knife design and feel, youll most likely lean toward Benchmade. It may not display this or other websites correctly. #17. The limited-edition gold series offers premium quality and is the most expensive option. You can counteract this relatively well with good care and maintenance. Through the years, the brand has won multiple awards in terms of product design and innovation. You can get it with an aluminum handle (the 940), G-10 (the 940-2), or carbon fiber (the 940-1). . :vavadacaz.ru. CTS-BD1N is easier to sharpen. Mine arrived today and it is BLOOD RED. As we go through the guide, dont forget how important your own experience is! August 16, 2019, The GiantMouse Knives ACE Biblio is an Absolutely Amazing Knife for the Money Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 2016 . Knife Exchange. In terms of quality control, we wouldnt put one brand in front of the other. , . - . At the same time, you need to look for the best value while picking a knife. , . The CPM S45VN steel is one of the best blade materials you will find and offers excellent durability. Choosing the right knife that will help you to survive is not about comparing the looks and features. Follow These 8 Tips. , , , vavadacaz.ru ! . You can depend on both brands for your survival planning needs. Benchmade uses a wide range of materials for the handles. In the case of a power grid failure, it can serve as a multi-purpose tool. I suggested he looked at the Spyderco Para 3 because I think the blade geometry will be more . ], Sencut Honoris Review[Is It The Right EDC Knife For You? With the compression lock, you get rock-solid security. The Bugout comes in the ever popular CPM-S30V steel, a martensitic stainless steel designed to offer the best combination of toughness, wear resistance and corrosion resistance. This can be fixed manually, or sent back for a replacement either way, its an important consideration. Benchmade - Om - D/A OTF - Automatic - Blue Handle - DLC CPM-S30V - 4850BK-1, Battle of the Lightweights: Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight vs Benchmade Bugout, St. Nick's Knives and Winter Timber Outdoors Join Forces, Why the Gerber Fastball Will Forever Change Gerber and the Way the Knife Industry Looks at Them, The GiantMouse Knives ACE Biblio is an Absolutely Amazing Knife for the Money. Benchmade uses its exclusive Axis locking system in various forms. With that said, the axis lock on the 940 feels much more solid to me - the lock on the bugout feels cheaper to me, more sticky and more likely to break. ], Sencut Honoris Review[Is It The Right EDC Knife For You? At the business end, theres a CPMS30V blade that offers exceptional slicing action. Benchmade Bugout vs Mini Bugout - knivesandtools.com vavada. Ever since childhood, Ive always loved to play with knives in my moms kitchen. Both of these knives excel in all of these areas, and in a way it just comes down to which one you personally prefer for whatever reason. Paramilitary 2 vs Bugout - SharpMost.com . The traditional thumb-stud deployment of the Bugout works smoothly and you get the reliability of the Benchmade Axis lock system. Besides blade length it compares more with some of the smaller spydercos like the chaparral/native/sage carry wise rather than the PM2. Last, the Paramilitary 2 is the less expensive knife So it will save you anywhere from 30 to 120 dollars. CPM S30V is a great blade steel, but the . The textured surface and the ergonomic grooves deliver a great grip. Firstly, the wicked-looking blade will demand respect. ! The cutting edge is fairly thin at 3.08 in. ! Show Printable Version; 10-01-2022, 12:37 PM #11. guymontag. Even if some of their blades turned out to be dull and uneven in some rare cases, Benchmade customer service was quick to solve the issue. Covered anything I could want to say. Black titanium thumb stud opener with bronze washers for smooth opening. Various edge testing performed by different people throughout the knife community has verified these claims and begs the question whether or not Spyderco might begin to use this more frequently for new models or possibly even as a new steel in a new generation of a knife such as the Manix 2 Lightweight. See what works for you and what catches your attention the most. While the blade is robust enough to handle tough cutting action, we wouldnt recommend it for heavy-duty outdoor work. It is also only 0.46 inches thick and has a deep carry pocket clip allowing for a knife that rides low in the pocket and doesnt feel too bulky. Benchmade knives use the renowned Axis locking mechanism, whereas Spyderco uses the common compression-type lock. The rivets, liners, and springs are placed in the next stage to ensure perfection. ], Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Vs 3 [Which Is The Right Knife For You? ), Benchmade Bugout (Check Price And Reviews On Amazon! Still, with better ergonomics, Spyderco has the lead in this category. Dont forget how important your experiences are. Also, the opening and closing mechanisms are super smooth. Spyderco has several options that cater to the budget market, whereas Benchmade sticks to the premium range. Its essential that you like the opening action and method. This is a full-size pocket knife thats beautifully designed with a function-first approach. Check out the Mini Griptilian. If youre a fan of the traditional thumb stud, then Benchmade is the way to go. Presently, Spyderco has a wide variety of folding as well as fixed blade knives in its product range. You can use your middle finger to hook the hole and quickly whip open the blade. , ! And it has an overall length that's around 0.41 inches longer than the Bugout when both of their blades are fully locked out. So because of that, its an extremely comfortable knife to carry around in your pocket all day. ! Both have their strengths and my favorite of the two is the compression lock. The Bugout weighs in at an unbelievably light 1.84 Ounces (52 grams) making it a fair amount lighter than the Para 3 LW. When it comes to the combination of ergonomics and cutting performance, the Para Military 2 is a solidly crafted offering from Spyderco. Good luck! . So, choosing the right one for your specific needs can be a daunting task. The 530 was light, thin, and priced well, but it lacked in ergonomics and its blade shape was one that wasnt necessarily built to do much more than open packages. Also, someone elses favorite model may not work well for you. Sub 2 ounces and just disappears. These products are often crafted with top-end materials like Damascus steel. They're quite symmetrical and hold closer to that traditional "rectangular" look. Heres a quick look at the main differences between the two brands. Ive owned pocket knives from a dozen different brands over my lifetime. , vavadacaz.ru. I hope you find the information useful! Thank you for taking the time to read my spazztic pre-purchase thoughts! Battle of the Lightweights: Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight vs Benchmade Bugout Even the original name of the company was Bali-Song, which was changed to Pacific Cutlery Corporation. Benchmade Bugout vs Bailout Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight vs Benchmade Bugout New Benchmade 2021 knives: Mini Osborne 945, Bugouts and more Carryosity #1 Knife Only Edition: Top 3 Benchmade 2020 knives Shot Show 2020: the newest Benchmade knives Top 10 EDC Knives Knife steel information Victorinox Swisstool Buying Guide: more about the SwissTool . In 2004, Spyderco fulfilled the wishes of many and debuted the Spyderco Paramilitary and it was an instant hit. Both brands offer a lifetime warranty on the products. The CPM S45VN steel is one of the best blade materials you will find and offers excellent durability. You wont go wrong going with either of these two amazing knife designs because both Spyderco and Benchmade know how to make a high quality knife that performs in the everyday carry (utility) role. ], Fallkniven F1 [Is It The Right Knife For You? It doesnt completely disappear (with just the clip showing) the way some knife designs do, but its fairly discrete and still pretty easy to get to. The Benchmade 940 uses the AXIS Lock locking mechanism. Ive always advised my friends and family to buy the knife, not the brand but theres no denying that some knife makers just have that special touch. . Here are some of the best Benchmade knives: Frankly, the Mini Barrage wont beat many other pocket knives in terms of size. While the PM2 is one of the bestselling knives of the modern era, many people started to see it as being too large of a knife for Everyday Carry (EDC). , . Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight Vs. Benchmade Bugout: Battle of - YouTube The assisted opening works smoothly and it is suited for both right and left-hand actions. But there are some differences between them as well. Theyre quite symmetrical and hold closer to that traditional rectangular look. IMO Bugout > PM3 all day long, even with the stock plastic handle. I created this site to help people who are new to knife ownership or who need a little extra information when deciding which is the right knife they should get. , . It weighs in at only 1.85 ounces, which is absolutely impressive. Overall, if you like traditional designs with a thumb stud for opening the blade, you might prefer Benchmade knives. They marketed it as the modern outdoor adventurer, incorporating the lightest, best performing materials in an extremely slim yet ergonomic package. The Bugout is 100% this. The Axis lock is the proprietary system from Benchmade that uses a lock-bar and a one-way spring. It also allows you to deploy the blade very smoothly, and it just gives you a feeling of quality when you open and close your knife. Support Us! As the popularity of the products increased, the brand started developing conventional folding and fixed blade knives. Benchmade vs Spyderco? Personally, I really like the look of the black coated blade, but I think the satin finished blade is also very attractive looking. It includes honing tools, field sharpeners, lubricants, and carry clips. These included a round hole in the blade and a clip in the handle. The Griptilian has had some limited releases over the years, but is commonly offered in S30V.