Nestled in this peaceful, idyllic English village, this fishery is the perfect place to come and relax unwinding far from the hustle and bustle of the towns. Winter: 8am - Dark. This stretch of the Bristol Avon has around 20 pegs. Although the golf course side of the lake tends to produce bigger hits of fish, they do move between the different sections of the lake, so fishing near to the entrance/exit of the pipes on either side of the lake can be an excellent tactic. A 12 hour day ticket at this Bristol fishery runs from either 7am-7pm, or 7pm-7am and costs 15 per angler for 2 rods, with the use of a third rod being priced at an extra 5. Please remember that as an angler you are an ambassador for the sport. The Carp Lake is the first lake you see as you enter the complex. With the lake being relatively small, you can walk around it quite quickly in order to look for some tell-tale signs of carp in the immediate vicinity. A whole range of fishing experiences are offered, including: Catch and release sections on the Wellow Brook and Cam Brook which offer superb fly fishing for wild trout. SHEFFIELD CANAL, Sheffield, South Yorkshire. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. Carp lakes at Corsham and stillwater coarse at Bromham. The lake has depths that vary from 2ft in the shallow areas to as much as 9ft in the deeper areas. It is only about 12 metres wide and has depths to 10 ft. There are toilets and showers on-site and there is a small cafe and tackle shop. Bream anglers often get broken up by carp, particularly when using pellets with fishmeal groundbait. The Kennet and Avon Canal, a navigation built to join the rivers Thames and Bristol Avon, was opened in 1810. Never easy, but a venue where you could catch a whacker if you have the time and dedication and pre-baiting will help too on such a big body of water. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. There are 2 match/pleasure lakes in addition to the one we have our eyes on the main carp lake. Free fishing. Best Carp Bait Companies: The Ultimate Boilie Guide, Birthday Success For Luke Jennings At Todber Manor. Any of these venues offer the realistic prospect of a double figure barbel. Arguably the most famous lake in the Bristol area, Bitterwell Lake has been around for a long time and used to hold the British record eel. Alcove Angling Club Venues The islands and margins are known hotspots for carp. The jacks in the last swim had left me witha very sorry lookingsardine tail, three sprats and one mackerel tailWhat the hell though, gotta give it a go! Fishing at the first few pegs can produce some large Barbel and lots of Chub, with Roach and Dace spread throughout the whole length. Whenever you visit you are guaranteed to enjoy its famous sights, the lovely atmosphere, and the iconic experience that Bristol offers every time. However what it did mean was that the water was pretty much free . Mirrors and commons to 30 lb have been caught from the 200 hectares of water that make up the Bay, and some of these fish have moved into the river to boost the existing head of fish. We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. Carp Fishing In Bristol: The Best Day Ticket Lakes Advnture is part of Future US Inc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. Below Netham Dam the river contains mostly estuarine species but some sea Trout and Salmon have been seen. There are problems in summer with moored boats, which are nose to tail at times. Call 07935 494398 or visitwww.keynsham-angling.co.ukfor more info. There is one mile of water on a 10 day ticket, and information is onwww.redlion-hotel.comor call 01981 500303. Carp in the Bristol Avon River - YouTube Tickets are 4, in advance from local tackle shops. Car parking and toilets are provided with facilities for the disabled, including 15 purpose built platforms. There are 5 lakes on this holiday campsite and, while there are silver fish in all of them, it is the carp lake (obviously!) New book reveals a host of top Scottish routes, Mountain Warehouse Journey Mens Recycled 3-in-1 Waterproof Jacket review: a puffer and outer shell combo. Tench, crucian carp, perch and eels can be tempted with red worm, maggot or caster used as hook bait. Also please remember that walkers and cyclists are entitled to use the tow path and you must not obstruct them with fishing tackle, rod or pole. Successful tactics can include surface baits, or Method feeder has been very effective over the years. You are guaranteed a peaceful and inspiring experience in the nature and some top notch carp angling. The lake record is in excess of 34lb and there are over 100 mirrors and commons in the 20lb+ bracket. They can be caught at town bridges or way out in the country, so this is one case where you will have to do your homework. There are a lot of smaller carp in the lake, but there are a number of fish that have crossed the 20lb barrier and it is claimed that the lake record is in excess of 30lb. The Potteries Angling Society has the fishing on Tixall Wides and the adjoining sections, some of which are also quite wide. There are lots of gravel pits, lakes and commercial fisheries alongside the River Nene, and this is why the UKs tenth longest river produces some huge carp from time to time. Although other species are present, there is a good head of carp. While the counties that surround Bristol have no shortage of day ticket carp lakes, there are very few within close proximity of the city centre. In the summer months fish tend to feed off the bottom more, float fished baits presented at a depth of 3 to 6 feet can produce good catches. Located near the heart of Bristol City center, on the Channon's Hill Retail Park, Angling Direct Bristol is just off the Fishponds Road A432 exit. Not the most mature lake that I have ever fished Pegs can be treacherous in the wetter weather. There are designated camping grounds, glamping tents, and rentable fire pits. This water is netted each year to collect smaller carp. About 1.5 acre, this popular lake is between 4-5ft deep and has a long island down it's center. At this time of year carp can show to floating baits such as crust or dog biscuits. Most notably barbel to 12lb, chub to 4lb, bream to 7lb, tench to 4lb, perch to 2lb and pike to 18lb. And all around it are the fantastic landscapes of rural Bristol county, with the picturesque river valleys and a lot of wonderful greenery. Abundant with rivers and wonderful landscapes, the rolling Cotswolds, and bordered by the idyllic Severn valley, this area prides itself on the wonderful nature and the excellent experiences. Most barbel fishing is upstream of Bath, popular venues being Warleigh, Limpley Stoke, Avoncliffe, Lacock, Chippenham, Peckingell, Kellaways and Christian Malford. The Club owns one lake, known as The Lido, in Fishponds, Bristol and leases three others, one in Henfield and two at Whitehouse Farm, Earthcott Green, both near Bristol. Call Exeter Angling Centre on 01392 436404 or visitwww.exeteranglingassociation.co.ukfor more info. A Large Lake Filled With Carp, Barbel, Bream and many More Species, Great for Kids or the more Advanced Angler. The Gasworks Pool at Barton Mills, on the outskirts of Mildenhall, is the place where the Lark changes character from a tinkling trout stream into a wider, slower Fenland river. Boyd Valley Lake fishery has been around for about twenty years. EXETER CANAL,Canal Banks, Exeter, Devon, EX2 6LT. This is a Reading DAA venue where members fish free, but there are day tickets for non-members at 10, in advance from local tackle shops or the websitewww.rdaa.co.uk. There are plenty of pegs and different features on these waters, so a good challenge and good fun are guaranteed. The new lakes, Bridgepool and Withypool, have been recently stocked with over 30,000 worth of fish, with carp to 5lb, bream to 4lb, roach to 2lb, plus perch, crucian carp and chub. Windbreaker vs rain jacket: which is best for hiking and running? I would suggest you look at websites or visit tackle shops, and if that fails ask at some of the fisheries near to the river. Usual tactics of legered meat, paste or pellets account for the majority of the barbel here and chub will frequently be caught as well in this way. Acorn Carp Fishery At A Glance: Name: Acorn Carp Fishery Location: Clevedon, BS21 6XS Biggest Carp: 30lb+ Lake Size: 3.5 acres Price: From 15 Call: 01934 834 050 Bagwood Lake (Almondsbury) Bagwood Carp Lake is located in Almondsbury, around 10 miles from the city centre of Bristol. It is best to return barbel to the water as soon as possible, avoiding the use of keepnets. What a great feeling of satisfaction to catch a big carp from any of these natural waters! They are all well stocked with a mixture of coarse fish including carp, crucians, F1 carp, roach, bream, tench, perch, chub, pike and rudd. The Windmill Fishery complex is located on the outskirts of Bristol, near Westerleigh. Where to fish for big carp: top tips for the best spots in - Advnture Amazon.co.uk: Carp Fishing When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. The smaller fish are removed every year, which brings the average size up to an impressive mid/upper double figures. Bristol Avon Carping Without a doubt, Bitterwell Fishery is one of the top locations in Bristol and wider. Bath to Hanham: Between Hanham and Bath much of this length retains a rural character and is an important coarse fishery used by pleasure and match anglers. Key times are early and late, and the far bank is often the productive spot, especially where features are to be found. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. With approximately 1.25km of bank the river boasts some of the finest mixed river coarse fishing in the south of England, for . There are plenty of opportunities to catch carp in Bristol, whether that is one of the beautiful stretches of river or one of the excellent lakes on this list. . The area is very popular with walkers, cyclists and boaters, so early mornings and evenings are the best times. Members only. Trending: These are the best bait companies for carp fishing. Fishery Information. Carp are usually an accidental capture whilst fishing for other species but it is possible to target them once they have been located. A difficult carp water, but with many big carp, numerous 30s and at least one confirmed 40. Extensive free fishing, but the Plumpers at Tinsley length requires a season ticket, at 18. The average fish size at this Bristol fishery is mid/upper double with a good head of 20lb+ carp. There are further "free" sections at the Shallows in Saltford and a small area 200 yards downstream of Keynsham weir on the far side of the roadbridge. Ben has decades of experience in selecting the right tackle and honing the best tactics to target all sorts of species, from surf sharks to freshwater catfish, and loves sharing this knowledge. The tree-lined banks and central island provide a natural, established backdrop. There is good flow through this half mile section. Trout fishing is also catered for with large lakes like the nationally renowned Chew Valley Lake and smaller venues like Mill Farm at Great Cheverell. The majority of the fish in the carp lake have been stocked from the highly regarded VS Fisheries, so when the larger residents do grace the bank, they are usually a sight to behold. If so, please let me know how you got on in the comments. Bream are especially prolific and are found all through the stretch in shallow as well as deep water and can be captured using feeder fished maggots, pellets or sweetcorn. Very good catches of Bream are to be had with specimen fish. The water has a very low saline content and this length of river provides reasonable coarse fishing. Boat traffic can be quite heavy, especially on weekends, and the banks are quite steep in places. Toilets are available on-site and drinks and snacks are available to purchase. Is there any1 fishing for carp on the bristol avon at the mo?I have been tryin on a private stretch at kelston weirpool for the past month,with no success.I think these carp are very wary customers,as all i seem to be catching at the mo,are chub?lol Im am fishing my own homemade boilies at the mo,which do work on still waters,cuz ive had fish to mid doubles on them.These river carp are hard fish to please,its either that or i havent put enough bait in to satisfiy there hunger?Mind you,i have been baiting this swim for the past 4months with these boilies?Are there any other anglers out there that are having more success than i am,on this river? Bristol, a famous town and a county, lies in the south of England, on the other side of the Severn estuary and Wales. If you have, please let me know how you got on in the comments. Never fish for the pike without a wire trace, suitably strong tackle and correct unhooking equipment including: long artery forceps, glove, unhooking mat, and sidecutters, in case hooks need to be cut off. There are some very decent-sized carp showing, and often a big double appears in the contests. Bristol, Bath and Wiltshire AA has Shackells, Sword and Sabre lakes. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Successful tactics can include surface baits, or Method feeder has been very effective over the years. The slow-flowing Weaver has good stocks of carp throughout, and many carp angler love to fish it. After years of neglect in the 1950s and 1960s, work started on its restoration. Very, very odd. Newbridge, Saltford and Keynsham provide excellent match stretches where individual weighs vary from 2 to 20lb with roach, chub, bream and eels predominating. So out went the baits and I sat back to see what would happen As it turned out I didn't have to wait long! Night fishing is possible but must be arranged in advance with the owners. This is a 12 hour venue, and the prices for this time are 14 with junior discounts. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7c08c14a1abc023c We are a well established coarse fishing lake complex (five beautiful lakes including specimen Carp Lake) just 4.5 miles from Junction 20 of the M5 and 15 miles south of the city of Bristol. It has an average depth of 15 feet and is home to stunning skimmers, bream, roach, dace, chub, pike, eels, carp, tench and perch. Check out: How to use pellets to catch carp, BIRMINGHAM-FAZELEY CANAL,Minworth, Birmingham, West Midlands, B35 6AE. It comes in various sizes and types, and can be a deciding factor in hooking that big one! Avon AC - The Fishing This is a mixed coarse fishery, so although there are some smaller fish in the lake, there are some larger-sized carp, with the lake record being in excess of 26lb.if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'carpsmart_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_8',159,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-carpsmart_com-large-leaderboard-2-0'); Day tickets at this peaceful Bristol venue cost 7 per 12 hour period. The wind wasblowing against the current so big bows were forming in the lines and bitedetection was virtually impossible. As you enter the fishery, you simply need to follow the access road until you reach the designated parking area. Roach, dace, bream and perch can be caught in good numbers with carp or chub as a bonus. This, together with its connection to the main river, the Feeder Canal, provides a venue with numerous swims for the match and pleasure angler. By now the day was really marching on and as the cows turned up (I think they head this way for an afternoon feed from the farmer?) 3 miles on Bristol Avon from Chequers Weir to Netham. The Waterways Code is available from all Waterways Offices. His favorite fishing moments usually involve helping clients catch the fish of a lifetime and not getting eaten by great white sharks while out on his kayak. HALF a mackerel was all Bristol angler Richard Earl needed to tempt a run from this cracking 30lb 4oz river pike. Is there any1 fishing for carp on the bristol avon at the mo?I have been tryin on a private stretch at kelston weirpool for the past month,with no success.I think these carp are very wary customers,as all i seem to be catching at the mo,are chub?lol Im am fishing my own homemade boilies at the mo,which do work on still waters,cuz ive had fish to Experimenting with different baits and techniques is often the key to catching barbel consistently. In places the canal widens out considerably, and is favoured with carpers. There are various facilities on site, including ample parking space, toilet and shower blocks, rentable luxury cottages, and a designated campsite. Where can I go bikepacking? The pegs are well spaced, so even though this isnt the biggest lake that you will ever fish, there are multiple features in each peg that you can target without fear of encroaching on another anglers chosen spots. Bristol City Docks Angling Club | Get Hooked Individual records include a monster pike of over 33lb and the almost unbelievable tench of 12lb 7oz caught by Rick Seal from Cardiff in the river at Christian Malford in November 1998. Man flu and Hurricane Ophelia are two things that will NOT stop this man fromgetting his weekly river pike fishing fix! I've been rewatching a lot of Joe from Nuffinbutfishin's YouTube channel and one thing I'd noticed was he generally casts out into the river, not something I've really done as I'd opted to fish close in snaggy swims in the past (the flow on this part of the Avon always seems to be very fast which has put me off casting to the middle in the past). A lot of the carp come from far bank cover on legered, hair-rigged boilies and big pellets, but waggler or pole and corn or pellet also score well. Throop produces some very big carp, with 20s and fish to around 30 lb again mostly to boilies, although they will pick up other baits, especially large pellets or pellet wraps. These are the best bait companies for carp fishing. Hi all, I've set up this page for us Bristol guys to share past history on the waters in the bristol area!! So I jumped in the 1st available swim whichis perfect for setting up in as it's wide and open. Some of it suffered a devastating pollution not so long back, but due to restockings by the C&RT the position is looking more favourable, although there is obviously a bit to go yet. The Paddock or match lake is available for day sessions only. There are some deeper holes to be found, so it is definitely worth having a lead around in order to build up a picture of what is in front of you. Malmesbury to Chippenham: Coarse fisheries predominate in this section, although Trout are stocked by fishing associations in some areas. There is parking available on this venue. I have also experienced success on sweetcorn and luncheon meat, so dont be afraid to think outside the box and try something a little bit different. My regular approach is to fish with a brightly coloured wafter on a simple rig and an accompanying PVA mesh stick. Famous for the Somerset Levels, which in recent years attracted national publicity when they were severely flooded, Glastonbury Tor, the Glastonbury Music Festival, the Avon Gorge and the cities of Bath and Wells, Somerset offers the angler sea fishing along its northern coastline on the Severn Estuary and the Bristol Channel, as well as river fishing for trout and coarse fish in its rivers . Here fish can be a little more difficult to locate but large bream shoals are here to be found and caught. Depths vary greatly from long, shallow glides covered with streamer weed to deep, lily bordered pools all along the stretch so different species can be targeted according to the type of swims available. Catching them is never certain, though, but they are there to over 20 lb, and your best bet is to fish for barbel and have a good chance of a carp taking your boilie. Bream, Roach, Dace, Chub, Pike, Eels, Carp, Tench and Perch. Here he reveals the prime stretches of running water in every part of the country where you an find these river giants. RDAA enquiries are on 01189 867430. Some are managed by syndicates, others privately owned and available to fish on day tickets. However, there are a good number of double-figure carp and rumours of specimens that are much larger. Day tickets at this Bristol venue are 10 and a 24 hour ticket costs 20. We wont focus on the other 2 lakes as we are only interested in the specimen lake. Lure Fishing On The Bristol River Avon At Saltford Shallows We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. Check out: Best fishing times: how knowing when to go can improve your chances of success, RIVER WYE,Red Lion Hotel, Bredwardine, Herefordshire, HR3 6BU. Pre-baiting pays off handsomely. yea mate easy parking and a short walk to the Lake.In the summer try Hemp an tares.you only need to fish 4/5 metres out and can bring the fish in right under your feet.GOOD quality roach up around 12oz or a pound.Some large carp to play with if you got a pole that can handle them too.Sweetcorn or pellet for them although bread should be good,as Below Avoncliffe are the Limpley Stoke and Claverton weirs, nestling within a scenic valley, where wooded sides rise in places, some 300 feet above. Arguably one of the best fisheries in the country, this section contains a wide range of specimen fish. The abundance of match-style pegs have been replaced with 5 wood chipped swims (that are purpose-built for the modern-day carp angler) and the fish stocks have been re-allocated across the fishery to ensure that the specimen carp are exactly where they belong! Full info from controlling club Holbeach DAC on 01406 365601 or 370056. DORSET STOUR,Throop Fishery, Holdenhurst Village Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH8 OEF. It's pretty cheeky as a new pontoon was installed on the stretch just up from the marina meaningfive or so swims are now unfishable. Although there were no touches, I'm convincedit's worth giving the swim another go in the future as it just screams pike! The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. Located near beautiful Bristol, Acorn Carp Fishery opened its doors to visitors in June 2001. Individual anglers have reported superb roach catches of over 30lb, just upstream of North Parade Bridge and 40lb plus nets of chub, taken on caster at Widcombe. As we're early in the season, it was a lean mean fighting machine of just under 10lbbutgive it another couple of months and I reckon it will hit 15lb no problem. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. The lake is around 4 acres in size and it is split into 2 separate areas that are connected by concrete pipes. Cardiff Harbour Authority controls the fishing, and 8 day tickets are at Cardiff Bay Visitor Centre or in the citys tackle shops.