No. Here was positive proof of his righteousness, in that he was obedient to the word of the Lord. Here was the first proclamation of the gospel. Gen 22:14. Now let us read in the twenty-second chapter of this same Book of Genesis. Gen 33:3-4. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day. ii. What Every Christian Should Know about the Protestant Reformation. Jacob had just come out of a great trouble. 2 Corinthians Gen 3:19-21. Abraham did not deceive the young men, he believed that he and Isaac would come to them again. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. He pleads with them, he who was far greater than theya prince among peasants,now prays to them; and is it not wonderful that the Lord Jesus, our infinitely-greater Brother, at times pleads with us, even as he said to the woman at the well, Give me to drink? we are always making difficulties and suggesting hardships; but if our faith were in lively exercise, we should do Gods will far more readily. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day. Gen 49:8. Gen 22:6. He wins, he conquers, when his weakness becomes supreme, and he is conscious of it. Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb: the blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. It may be that it will bring you something worth bringing one of these days, as Noahs dove brought to him. I have heard of one, who had offended a brother Christian during the day; possibly, the brother-Christian had offended him quite as much. i. Gen 1:26-28. Gen 32:27. the Holy Spirit does not write for the credit of man: he writes for the glory of Gods grace. Who art thou, O great mountain? And the Egyptians and the house of Pharaoh heard. This was a sure sign that Joseph knew his brethren, and they might well recognize him even by that precept, for their consciences must have told them that it had been their common habit to fall out either with or without occasion, so he bids them not to do so. Gen 1:1. The earth is completed now that man has come upon it, and man is completed when the image of God is upon him, when Christ is formed in him the hope of glory, but not till then. Gen 22:5. Here is another type of our Saviours great sacrifice on Calvary,-the ram offered in the place of Jesus. Noah knew that he would come out of the ark one day, for was he not preserved there to be a seed-to keep the race alive? And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and everything that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. It might be many miles to Padanaram, but it does not matter to faith. i. I think that, when Christians differ from one another, there should be a holy emulation between them as to which shall be the first to give way, and which will give way the more to the other. THERE w a s a well of water close to Hagar all the while though she saw it not. Oh, what a blessing to learn the way of ample faith in God! Gen 32:3. 1 Kings Unstable as water, thou shall not excel; because thou wentest up to thy fathers bed; then defiledst thou it: he went up to my couch. But the first one saw that the sun was going down, so he turned to seek his friend, that he might say to him, Friend so-and-so, I was wrong in being angry today. Half-way between their two houses, they met, and each of them said, I was just coming to say that I was wrong. There is no need of any arbitrator when each of the disputants is willing to say, I was wrong, and the trouble is soon over when that point is reached. The fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained; God works upwards, and stops the windows of heaven. Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to that which I command thee. You do not go unattended at any single moment of your life. And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. His was deliberate obedience; he could bear suspense, thinking over the whole matter for three days, and setting his face like a flint to obey his Lords command. All they had gained by their sin was a discovery of their nakedness. But there is good hope of things going right when Jacob, who is the better of the two brothers, is also the humbler of the two. Reuben was the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power, yet his father had to say to him, Thou shalt not excel.. Go up to my father, and say unto him, Come down unto me. See how great love turns pleader again; he who said to his brethren, Come near to me, sends to his father the message, Come down unto me.. The Lamb of God has made for us a garment which covers our nakedness so that we are not afraid to stand even before the bar of God. Gen 22:12. These sermons from Charles Spurgeon are a series that is for reference and not necessarily a position of Answers in Genesis. Here is a promise that was to take four hundred years to ripen! Abraham bases his argument upon the justice of God; and when a man dares to do that, it is mighty pleading, for, depend upon it, God will never do an unjust thing. And the rain was upon the earth forty day and forty nights. Now the jewels are all in, and therefore the casket is closed. 1 Thessalonians O thou who art striving against sin, or seeking to win souls for Christ, after many disappointments may you be able to clutch this sweet assurance, He shall overcome at the last.. Gen 32:30. This is a clear proof of his guilt, first, that he throws the blame on her whom be was bound to love and shield; and next, that he throws the blame on God himself: The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree. Ah, me, what mean creatures men are when sin comes in, and shame follows at its heels! ii. So it is clear that the greatest strength and dignity and power will not serve a man, so as to make him excel, if he be unstable. Gen 18:20-22. As a prince hast thou power with God. Genesis 32:28. The old man is in his dotage, said they; he always was peculiar, he never acted like the rest of the citizens; he came in here as a stranger, and he has always been strange in his behavior.. Hosea Gen 8:12. ii. There are some people who like to have their bread to be fat, but they yield to the King no dainties. Plug in, Turn on and Be Enlightened! Gen 32:11-13. And he said, I will not destroy it for tens sake. He can make light without a sun, he can spread the gospel without the aid of ministers, he can convert souls without any human or angelic agency, for he does as he wills in the heavens above and on the earth beneath. And it came to pass, that when Isaac was old, and his eyes were dim, so that he could not see, he called Esau his eldest son, and said unto him, My son: and he said unto him, Behold, here am I. He have this year had a long and dreary winter; it looked as if spring would never come. ix. And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made: And he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro. What a wise and prudent Lord is ours! And there will I nourish thee; for yet there are five years of famine; lest thou, and thy household, and all that thou hast, come to poverty. These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our website is being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customize our website and application for you in order to enhance your experience. He waits Gods time, and we are always wise in doing that. And he commanded them, saying, Thus shall ye speak unto my lord Esau; Thy servant Jacob saith thus, I have sojourned with Laban, and stayed there until now: and I have oxen, and asses, flocks, and menservants, and womenservants: and I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find grace in thy sight. The marginal reading is Two hosts, or, camps. The angels of the Lord were encamping round about the man who feared him, though shore had been much in his character and conduct which the Lord could not approve. God will also use Noah to save a remnant of each animal so the earth could be populated with people and animals after the flood. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. Lamentations For I cannot do any thing till thou be come thither. The Song opens thus:. Why cannot people keep to the words of Scripture? There are far better ornaments than gold can buy ornaments neat, and raiment comely may we all possess them. We may request cookies to be set on your device. Yet notice also how Jacob reminds God of his promise, Thou saidst, I will surely do thee good. That is the very pith and marrow of prayer when we can quote the Lords promise, and say to him, Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope. You have a strong plea to urge with God when you can say to him, Thou saidst, for he is a God who cannot lie. JOHN MACARTHUR DISCUSSES GENESIS 6 & THE NEPHILIM. You will find that it is true of all his promises that, whatever he has said, shall be fulfilled to you, and you shall one day say of it all, and it was so. It is equally certain concerning all his threatenings that what he has spoken shall certainly be fulfilled, and the ungodly will have to say and it was so. These words are often repeated in this chapter. There can be no destruction of the world, there can be no pouring out of the last plagues, there can be no total sweeping away of the ungodly till, first of all, the servants of God are sealed in their foreheads, and taken to a place of security. And Adam called his wifes name Eve; because she was the mother of all living. As the Holy Ghost repeats the words we have here, you and I may often tell out the story of our salvation, and dwell upon the minute particulars of it, for every item of it is full of instruction. He is as great in the little as he is in the great. Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you that which shall befall you in the last days. We are not told nowadays everything about the future, but much of the future is unfolded to us in the great principles of the law and the gospel, and we may learn very much of holy foresight by coming to the oracles of God. Perhaps the world was in its prime, when the trees were in bloom, and the birds were singing in their branches, and the flowers were blooming on the earth, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.. Joseph is a type of him who is both the Shepherd and the Stone to us, the Shepherd who defends us, provides for us, and dies for us, and the foundation on which we build for time and eternity. Come away from the world, beloved, but come close to one another; be one household, be it your delight to assemble around your elder Brother, the Lord Jesus Christ. Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Gen 49:6-7. And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brothers son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar. And it came to pass in the six hundredth and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, the waters were dried up from off the earth: That was a happy New Years day for Noah. Now therefore be not grieved, not angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life. THIS is the first gospel sermon that was ever delivered upon the surface of this earth. And so on; I need not read the rest of the story, because we now find that, through earnest prayer, the good servant has been rightly led. And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces. When one troubles gone, another doth him seize.. And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD, and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar. And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; It was to be a long while before the nation should enter upon its inheritance. At this point, all Noah knew was that God will judge the earth, and he was supposed to build a big barge. The words, so he did cover an awful lot of material and years; yet Noah did not shrink from what God told him to do. And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Gen 32:28. And Joseph said unto his brethren, I am Joseph; doth my father yet live? Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. We know that the angels went down to Sodom, where they were received by Lot, and despitefully used by the Sodomites. Acts Gen 32:4-5. Another case may seem to be precisely like it: yet the mouth of the former suppliant is shut, and in his heart he does not feel that he can pray as he did before. The work of building the ark was laborious, costly, tedious, dangerous, and seemingly foolish and ridiculous; especially when all things continued in the same posture and safety for so many scores of years together; whereby Noah, without doubt, was all that while the song of the drunkards, and the sport of the wits of that age. Benjamin shall ravin as a wolf: in the morning he shall devour the prey, and at night he shall divide the spoil. The Jews superstitiously believe that we have lost the sound of the name of Jehovah, that the name is unpronounceable now altogether. Genre This passage is narrative. And a river went out of Eden to water the garden, and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads. Haste ye, and go up to my father, and say unto him, Thus saith thy son Joseph, God hath made me lord of all Egypt: come down unto me, tarry not: See how love attracts; Joseph must have his brothers near him, now he wants to have his father also near. Get Your Bible Minute in Your Inbox Every Morning. Gen 1:14-19. God is very particular in the Scripture about giving people their right names. Used by Permission. O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall. 2. Observe that God did not create man until he had provided for him neither will he ever put one work of his providence or of his grace out of its proper place, but that which goes before shall be preparatory to that which follows after. So did Zebulun dwell even until the day when our Lord came, for Matthew writes concerning him, Now when Jesus had heard that John was cast into prison, he departed into Galilee; and leaving Nazareth, he came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the sea coast, in the borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles; the people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.. Gen 12:2-3. The fault lies in trying to compress all truth under either of those two heads. Deuteronomy Gen 19:17. He had already attained a fine old age, but he had another century of life before him, which he could not then foresee, or expect. 1 Timothy This curse does not fall directly on him; it glances obliquely, and falls upon the ground whereon he stands: Cursed is the ground for thy sake. It is not , An Urgent Request for an Immediate Answer In 1936 a young British archaeologist named Hardwicke Knight hiked across Ararat and discovered interlocking hand-tooled timbers at a height of 14,000 feet (4,600 meters). Bring forth with thee every living thing that is with thee, of all flesh, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth; that they may breed abundantly in the earth, and be fruitful, and multiply upon the earth. Philemon It is so with us spiritually; first darkness, then light. Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. He did not see it as an unconcerned spectator, but as one injured and affronted by it; he saw it as a tender father sees the folly and stubbornness of a rebellious and disobedient child, which not only angers him, but grieves him, and makes him wish he had been written childless.