Ham & eggs by any othername Good eaters: JosephineHull Name trouble: AuntJemimas Reflections on a name:Plantation Dining on aroof Restaurant-ing on wheels Dinner to go Drive-up windows Dining during an epidemic: SanFrancisco Good eaters: bohemians Dining during anepidemic Fish on Fridays Image gallery: breadedthings Lunching in alaboratory Women drinking inrestaurants The puzzling St. Paulsandwich New Years Eve at the LatinQuarter Chinese for Christmas Turkeyburgers Themes: bordellos Finds of theday Early bird specials Franchising: Heap BigBeef Bostons automats Coffee and cakesaloons Women chefs notwanted Entree from side dish to maindish Anatomy of a restaurateur: Woo YeeSing Lobster stew at the WhiteRabbit Restaurants in the family: DorisDay Almost like flying Eye appeal Writing food memoirs Anatomy of a restaurateur: RubyFoo Soul food restaurants Effects of war onrestaurant-ing Behind the scenes at theSplendide Take your Valentine todinner Lunching at the dimestore Square meals Tea rooms forstudents Christmas dinner in thedesert Green Book restaurants Dirty by design Clown themes Basic fare: meat &potatoes Dining with Chiang Yee inBoston Slumming Picturing restaurant food Find of the day: the Double R CoffeeHouse Delicatessing at theDelirama Restaurant design anddecoration Dining on adime Anatomy of a restaurateur: GeorgeRector Catering Dining in agarden Sawdust on thefloor Learning to eat (inrestaurants) Childrens menus Taste of a decade: the1830s Check your hat How Americans learned totip Image gallery: eating in ahat The up-and-down life of a restaurantowner Dressing the femaleserver The Lunch Box, amemoir Crazy for crepes Famous in its day: ThePyramid Dining & wining on New YearsEve High-volume restaurants: Hilltop SteakHouse Famous in its day: the PublicNatatorium Turkey on themenu Getting closer to yourfood Between courses: secretrecipes Find of the day: Aladdin Studio TiffinRoom Americans in Paris: The ChineseUmbrella No smoking! 8) Having seen the Cafe Figaro come back once already, its not hard imagining it coming back again in a few years! None (You can find it: http://recordcollectorsvaults.blogspot.com/2009/10/youre-hip.html). The Kettle of Fish is how a Green bay Packers sports bar. History of NYC Streets: MacDougal Street in Greenwich Village He should have a good story about bouncing a couple hecklersIf you find him tell him hello and thanks again. Yes. Caf Dante always felt Karen Dalton. You are the only other person Ive ever encountered who remembers that! remodeled first for a Blimpies and then near totally remodeled once again for a new Cafe Figaro. Sorry to hear about his passing. Revolving restaurants II: theMerry-Go-Round Basic fare: shrimp We never close Tablecloths checkered past Famous in its day: Tip TopInn Find of the day: J.B.G.s Frenchrestaurant Dont play with thecandles Interview: whos cooking? Hippy Beaknik 60's Coffee House Yorkville The "Beat Generation" was born in 1948 when Jack Kerouac, an iconic poet and novelist of the time, wanted to recognize the youth in New York City. (Photo: Bess Greenberg/The New York Times), the Dispatches feature in this Sundays City section, //www.rchrd.com/photo/archives/new_york/new_york_city/. You know the building is very popular this time of the year and its possible some of the Art work might still be there albeit in a different context. 35 Images That Capture The Beatniks' Heyday In New York City Some of the other people are still around. shop (?) Mr. Fishbein celebrated the Figaros 40th anniversary in 1997, though The cafe went out of business this summer, in June actually, and although there were reports of its demise at the time, some of which were regretful, there wasnt any widespread outpouring of grief. The espresso drinks did play a central role in this culture as well. I was a student at the University of Chicago from 1954 to 1958 and that was my favorite place in the whole world. But tell me more if you remember any details! Greenwich Village Restaurants in the '50s and '60s The CAVE sat on the corner of Water and Park or Perry. If memory serves me it was near the ALGIERS MOTEL that is getting some attention now thru the movie DETROIT. by e-mail. Metropolitan Diary continues to publish! A man strides along a sidewalk past a graffiti-covered brick wall. Few did much cooking so they werent restaurants in the true sense, but many of them offered light food such as salami sandwiches (on exotic Italian bread) and cheesecake, along with Espresso Romano, the most expensive coffee ever seen in the U.S. up til then. As of this writing, the permits for new Qdoba signage have not Good eaters: AndyWarhol Birth of the themerestaurant Restaurant-ing with royalty Righting civil wrongs inrestaurants Theme restaurants: barns Men only Taste of a decade: restaurants,1900-1910 Celebrating restaurant cuisine Decor: glass ceilings Between courses: dont sniff thefood In the kitchen with Mme Early: black women inrestaurants Burger bloat On the menu for2010 Christmas feasting Todays specials: books onrestaurants With haute cuisine for all:Longchamps Restaurant-ing on Thanksgiving High-volume restaurants: Smith &McNells Anatomy of a restaurateur: DarioToffenetti Between courses: rate thismenu You want cheese withthat? Though no longer on City Room, New York Today continues to appear every weekday morning, offering a roundup of news and events for the city. *snap* *snap*. By the early 1960s, the movement gradually began to disappear though its ideology and free-spirited expressionism later evolved into hippie culture. But then I am still an idealistic old hippie who will never stop being hopeful. Does anyone remember from the late 1960s (maybe into the early 1970s) a place called Spin Art? 1956 - This is the beginning of the modern era of coffee houses in areas such as North Beach in San Francisco and Greenwich Village in New York where Jazz beats play and intellectuals, . Its pretty much a light advertisement for the entirely neighborhood, a pretty lovely thing to behold considering the conflicts the area would face with encroaching development later that decade. Do you have any pix from any? by you! Saw Robert Mitchum there in the 60s. I miss those days!! at nytoday.com or in the morning, on The New York Times homepage or its New York section. In 1960, Walt Wilcox, a retired policeman, opened a coffeehouse on Westlake Avenue, on the end of a dock among the yacht brokers on Lake Union. between Bleeker & 3rd called a bird can fly, but a fly cant bird ? On the other I have researched and read all the information on this blog There was one floor of this apartment that was used for musicians that can go to and try out different songs They writing and trying out Little cubicles for some privacy They also have rooms for pianos I know Carole King was one of those musicians who used it ! I felt so disappointed for Dad and I so wanted to see the beatniks perform. Do you remember Marty Proctors Papier Mache on the corner of Greenwich Avenue and Perry Street? (Photo:. Taste of a decade: restaurants,1810-1820 Between courses: nutburgers &orangeade Subtle savories at NucleusNuance Between courses: keep out ofrestaurants The Automat, an East Coastoasis Good eaters: JamesBeard Basic fare: waffles Anatomy of a restaurant family: theDownings Taste of a decade: 1950srestaurants Basic fare: pizza Building a tea roomempire A black man walked into a restaurant and Who hasnt heard of Maxims inParis? What was it like? The Gaslight Cafe - Wikipedia I looked this up because my dad used to go to the Cave and the Purple Onion in Pontiac in the 1950s. And I enjoy those too. Le Figaro Caf, the once classic beatniks coffee house, is being revived and turned into Figaro Caf . This time, the Valley Stream Associates spokesman said, the reason for the closing is simple: The restaurant business is just a tough business.. It was off center of coffee house central of Phillys Rittenhouse Square area where you could find others featuring entertainment like the Artists Hut, The Second Fret and the Presidium [sic]. be a significant increase in the number of people in the area, without an appreciable increase in the amount of ground floor retail space to accommodate the businesses wanting to serve them. This was the time and place of Bob Dylan, of Allen Ginsberg, of Andy Warhol, of The. Ive definitely had coffee at Figaro at least once. Just love it! The entrance was off a dirty alley called Dewalt Ave., just north of Second St. Its small scale makes it easy to explore on foot and perfect for a musical pilgrimage, but the arrival last summer of New York's bike-sharing scheme, Citibike, makes for a more adventurous experience. From there, it's a short cycle along Christopher Street, up Hudson and along West 10th, to Bleecker Street, where designer boutiques such as Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors and Lulu Guinness mark the area's steep gentrification. I agree to a point Caf Wha?, Caffe Trieste, Caff Mediterraneum, and many other beatnik coffeehouses were actually some of the earliest coffeehouses in America serving ESPRESSO. Hard to believe that an engineering student could be drawn to such a venue but I was and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Then, this month, word came out that the space or part of it, according to a spokesman for the owners would be filled by an outpost of the Qdoba burrito chain. Many people Ive Where however did I see Peter Paul and Mary with Miriam Makeba at a coffee house or little clubhouse back in the 1960s? Can Anything Replace the Humble California Roll. When I visited on a sunny but cold December day, there was only one musician, a saxophonist, playing under Washington Square's stone arch, but at weekends the park fills with rap and jazz musicians playing to tourists and students. My impression was that the The Village is the stuff of legends: a hotbed of musicians, artists, performers, intellectuals, activists. He was everywhere! Saw him on Christopher a lot. Where you can make a piece of art with your own colors underneath some spinning device? Peter Yarrow, Mary Travers, and Noel 'Paul' Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary pose for alternative shots for the cover of their first eponymously titled album at The Bitter End in 1962. #1 China Peace Restaurant, 200 West 44th Street (Cor. L. Cafe Roma (I think it was called) and Cafe Wha? Canton was not a college town but it had its own coffee house, named oddly enough The Way Out (how I found this post!). seemed to be hurtling down a steep slope of crime, decay (truck falling through West Side Highway), economic stagnation, abandonment, homelessness, All four of the ones I grew up with are gone. Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward having lunch and reading the New York Times in their Greenwich Village house on January 2, 1960. This April were marking the 50th anniversary of theGreenwich Village Historic Districtdesignation from 1969 preserving one of the most important and historic neighborhoods in New York and to mark the occasion we are celebrating the revolutionary scene (and the revolutionary moment) that gave birth to it the Greenwich Village of the 1960s. It was a circa 1960 Beat joint in Detroit, perhaps on Joy road. Sean MacPherson, who owns the stylish Bowery and Jane hotels nearby, has just reopened the building as the Parisian-inspired Marlton Hotel (marltonhotel.com). She played in the numerous coffee houses in the Village, often on the same bill . In Pontiac MI was the Cave of the Ninth Cat (or The Cave of Nine Cats?) After I was near my teens, after Dads passing, I tried to find both places, and did find the Purple Onion building, then closed. My Grandfather is Ben Fishbein the owner from 75 until he sold it. But, I was introduced to indie music, mostly folk, and my love of this genre has continued to this day. Perhaps that is why I reminisce and miss those simpler times (minus the troubling times). They wanted emergency zoning to save the Village.