hammered. Blag - a robbery (noun), to rob or scrounge (verb). Example: The guy that just walked past us is such a bev. Pigs in Blankets - small sausages wrapped in bacon. It doesn't get more British than this. Not necessarily intended in a bad way, "bonkers" means mad or crazy.. The Russian alphabet uses Cyrillic script.To give you a strong base for fluency, this article will go into a comprehensive introduction to the Russian alphabet and its pronunciation. Whinge - to complain, thus a whinger is a person who complains, whines. Slightly more of an outdated version, this British slang term is still used, and its meaning remains relevant today. To get you started we have some suggestions for some great British artists below. It can get a bit dodgy late at night.". The British sure do love their bevvys. CEO. Butty - a filled or open sandwich (Northern England). That plus looking for online tutors can better prep you for your next British conversation. Trollied. The term used to describe the person who cleared dead animals away in the slaughterhouse but is now used to say youre exhausted. Youll speak like a native in no time. Here are 50 British phrases guaranteed to make you feel like one of their own. This is British slang for British pounds. Perhaps one of the most internationally famous British slang terms, bollocks has a multitude of uses, although its top ones including being a curse word used to indicate dismay, e.g. Definition. This British expression shares a similar meaning to devil or thing and is used to refer to a person, particularly a man. For example, Dont listen to him hes telling pork pies.. Dive - a dive usually refers to a dirty and dark pub or club. Bairn - child (Scottish, northern English). For example, The birthday party went all to pot when the clown turned up drunk and everyone was sick from that cheap barbecue stuff.. Botch - mess up, ruin; as in "the plumber botched the repair". Its the shortened and easier version of isnt it? Its seen as a general filler in a conversation or when seeking confirmation, eg. Posh - port out, starboard home; elegant, stylish, or upper class. For example, I was up studying all night last night, Im absolutely knackered., Someone who has lost the plot has become either angry, irrational, or is acting ridiculously. I was going to buy you the pink one, but I thought it looked a bit naff.. Huff - to take offense as in "get the huff"; to inhale the vapors of something to become intoxicated as in to huff glue. Bloke is an extremely common term denoting a man, usually it is used in reference to an ordinary man, akin to the US average joe, but it it not uncommon to hear it used to describe a man generally. 2022 Tandem - Speak Any Language. Howff - meeting place, familiar haunt, usually a pub (Scotland) and in Dundee The Howff is a famous cemetery. (of a building, garden, etc.) Bung - as a verb meaning to throw as a noun, or a bribe. Learn more. Bint - (archaic) slang for woman (from the Arabic). Can you lend me a quid for the parking machine?. In the UK, pissed means drunk and pissed off means angry. Oh bollocks; it can also be used to express derision and mocking disbelief, e.g. (Adjective) The word stunning is used to describe someone or something attractive. Lairy - loud, brash, flashy or cunning or conceited. for anything that's utterly bad or rubbish. This one will have you in stitches, uses popular British slangs, and is great to watch with the family. A good or bad vibe. I was gutted when she broke up with me. Confusing, we know. Scouser - native of Liverpool (colloquial). This is short for the word beverages, usually alcoholic, most often beer. That guy at the football kept laughing at me for wearing an Arsenal shirt. The best part? Slang continues to evolve with new words coming into use every year. Contact us. Some of these new international slang words are used in Australia, New Zealand, the US, Canada and the UK (and even in non-English speaking countries). British rap and hip hop artists: Stormzy, Professor Green, Dizzee Rascal, and Wretch 32. Yank someone's chain - goad, provoke, irritate. Andrew: A strong male name meaning powerful and valiant. In this way posh can be used in the following two ways: This has two different meanings depending on location or social classes. Doing things properly means to do them correctly or in the right way. Lacking fivers and tenners if you will (see below). It is a term denoting your younger brother/ sister, or close family member such as a cousin. 2. From 'knackered' to 'bonkers', British slang is full of character and can really spice up a conversation. Note how the second word pies rhymes directly with lies. Curate's egg - something that is partly good and partly bad. A bit like flirting. My bird. Another rather delightful and slightly archaic words in this list of British slang terms is kerfuffle. A do is essentially a party, to my knowledge it doesnt refer to a particular form of party, so feel free to use it as you like. If you're legging it, you're likely physically running away from trouble. For example, The party was a bit of a damp squib because only Richard turned up.. Further, "The Nick" is UK slang for the prison. Generally, posh denotes the English upper classes. NEET - Not in Education, Employment, or Training. Believe it or not, the word handcuff was used back then to refer to an engagement ring. UK slang can be a tricky language to learn, but when you get the hang of it, it's as easy as pie - or should I say, as easy as taking the biscuit! A rather interesting British slang insult, muppet is used for someone who is rather ignorant or clueless., Often used to replace "very", proper also retains its original meaning of not inappropriate. In the past it was regarded as a swearword but now, due to its common usage, it is generally acceptable. I'm not being funny - softening preface to a statement that could possibly be taken as offensive or malicious. Not a wonderfully melodic word, chunder is part and parcel of British slang terms. Want to become fluent fast? Closie - Dundee parlance for a stairwell in a block of flats. E.g. For example, Yeah, everythings hunky-dory at the office. 28. (praise) a. generoso (a) 6. SEE MORE verb (used with I was gobsmacked when she told me she was pregnant with triplets.. Often substituted in friendly circles for exhausted. Slapper - promiscuous woman or prostitute. Hunky-dory a neat little piece of British slang that means that a situation is okay, cool, or normal. Doss - sleep in rough accommodation or in an improvised bed, spend time idly. Many people wander through the day wishing others a happy St. Patricks Day, but have you ever stopped to think about why? Nobble - disable, try to influence or thwart by underhand or unfair methods, steal. Bev means a "handsome man. Fag - cigarette, "ciggie", hence fag end (stub) and fag packet. Content and Language Integrated Learning, 20 of the Most Common British Slang Words, Cheeky has long been used in the UK to describe something light-hearted but a little rude or risqu. I believe this expression originates in the English county of Cheshire. (Explained). 12655362. From the 19th century sus law (from "suspected person" which gave police the right to stop and search. Strop - displeased, angry, as in "having a strop". Kettle-biler - unemployed man in Dundee (from the 19th century jute factories). Example: The man you were talking to was stunning. Hamsterkaufing - stockpiling or hoarding before a Covid-19 lockdown. Easy-peasy - very straightforward and easy. As such a form of this expression Have a goosey also exists, but is much more uncommon. Stitched up - to trick someone so that they are placed in a difficult or unpleasant situation. Totty - (uncountable) sexually attractive women considered collectively (sexist and offensive). All to pot refers to a situation going out of your control and failing miserably. (Adjective) The term hot has been popularized worldwide and is commonly used in the USA and the UK. Sober-water: A jocular allusion to the uses of soda water. (Adjective) The word fanciable is an informal word used to describe a very attractive person. This one's quite simple, really. You slept with Kate Upton last night? Gucci Good or going well. (price, profit) a. considerable Copyright 2006 Harrap Publishers Limited handsome adjective Gasper - cigarette (see fag) - now rather archaic. He got a new job.. Mug is more specifically London slang and is associated with the cockney accent. Sassenach - non-Highlander (usually referring to the English). But, as the British like to be different, we also use it for something else. Beckham: The last name of a world-famous British soccer star. Think about the elegant British phrases you have heard and see if you recognize any in our list below. This website is operated by BSC Education Ltd, a company registered in England & Wales. Kettles - watches - from kettle and hob = watch (Cockney rhyming slang). Faff - spend time in ineffectual activity. To be gutted about a situation means to be devastated and saddened. E.g. And as mentioned in comments it might as well have a phone number Vibe - atmosphere, feeling. For example, You need to wear a coat today, its brass monkeys outside.. I had three pieces., This is a relatively newer entry to the lexicon of British Slang, most often used by youth. Wacky - funny or amusing in a slightly odd or peculiar way. Ace a British slang term that means something that is brilliant or excellent. The British slang word for girl is bird., If youre excited, you might want to say youre buzzin. Top 10 Stressors in Life (And How to Cope with Them), An Inspiring Interview with Steve White, President, Special Counsel to the CEO of Comcast, How to Escape the Rat Race And Live the Life You Desire, The 5 Areas of Personal Growth (And How to Improve Them), How to Live a Full Life (Without Compromising on What Truly Matters), Achieving Goals: The Ultimate Guide to Goal Achieving & Goal Setting in 2022, What Is Motivation And How To Get Motivated (Your Ultimate Guide), How to Increase Mental Focus and Stay Sharp, How To Get Fit If You Have a Busy Schedule, What Is Motivation And How To Get Motivated, What Is Procrastination And How To Stop It, Achieving Goals: The Ultimate Guide to Goal Achieving & Goal Setting in 2023, Why Am I So Tired And How To Boost My Energy. WebHunky-dory a neat little piece of British slang that means that a situation is okay, cool, or normal. Dive - a dive usually refers to a dirty and dark pub or club. The Great British Bake Off a British television baking competition. Muck is a substitute for dirt however, in many ways I find it a superior word. Specifically, the kind of kiss that is not very romantic. Mug off - disrespect, make someone appear stupid. Example: His qualities and passion make him a peng in my eyes. For example, You messed up the Rutherford order? As such when you hear it in use, even if you arent familiar with expression you can often tell what is being said by the rhyme and the context it is being used in. (Explained), Is Dolph a Male, Female or Unisex Name? You'll hear this one a lot on the British Love Island. Polari- secret language used by gay men to avoid detection before homosexuality was decriminalized in 1967. Wangle - to get something through deception or deviousness. It has become a popular British slang around the UK today. Dodgy - suspicious, of questionable quality (slang). Againa lot of words for drunk. 2022 All Rights Reserved.The content, images and logos used on this are copyright protected and copyrights vests with the respective owners. Roadman - someone well-acquainted with their local area. Lets start off with the British short form of beverages, commonly used for beer. When we think about British versus American English, we think about slang terms and pronunciation. For example, it can refer to food which tastes out of date or, when referring to a person, it can mean that they are a bit sketchy. Ambidexter If youre ambidextrous, youre able to use both hands equally well. Does he already have a girlfriend? So go ahead and make a move but don't be gutted if you get pied off. Specifically, when something is exciting or wonderful, particularly when something is good news, brilliant can mean as such. Your ideal student home & a flight ticket awaits. Pommy - a British person (derogatory, especially used by Australians). Company registration no. For example; you might say Blimey! Z-Cars - 1960s and 70s TV police drama set in Liverpool. A Dictionary Full of Victorian Slang. The word became popular on the Love Island television show where viewers hear the British slang constantly. E.g. Moist - soft, weak lacking in masculinity. Bollocks; and, of course, it also refers to the scrotum and testicles. It is used as a derogatory word for tourists. Brilliant is not a word exclusively in the British lexicon, but has a very British usage. How to say handsome. If someone calls you fit, they aren't exactly talking about your physique or exercise habits. As mentioned before, British terms, British phrases, British expressions as well as spelling differ by American phrases and expressions, but what else is there? Yorkshire Pudding - side dish with roast beef made with eggs, flour, salt, milk and beef dripping cooked in the oven. British slang and dialect is rich and diverse. This is not to be confused with bev, which is the British slang word for a handsome chap., An informal way of referring to a young woman or a girl, bird is a misogynistic British slang word that is unfortunately used quite often., This is an England expression for something that takes you by surprise and is something you might often hear on Doctor Who., Used in a similar fashion as its American counterparts guy and dude, this British term is used for a man., One of the most popular British slang words, bloody requires no definition. Blinding is a positive term meaning excellent, great, or superb. More of an usual term, a damp squib in British slang terms refers to something which fails on all accounts, coming from the squib (an explosive), and the propensity for them to fail when wet. (Adjective) The term buff is used by younger people whenever they see a handsome man. The British do love their tea after all! Jimmy - "Jimmy Riddle" = piddle = urinate. "Gutted" is UK slang for extremely upset, devastated or disappointed about something. Bent - dishonest or derogatory for homosexual. Do not violate the rules of bagsy. Blimey - (archaic) abbreviation of "God blind me.". You might use it for food that seems outdated., This quirky British slang phrase is used when you take longer than needed to do something or spend your time in a not so productive way. Example: Gosh, that man is hot! This is British slang for a girl or a woman. Of course, you want to be more discreet, so we listed 10 British slang words you could use. Though it may seem strange at first, its pretty simple, it is constructed out of the expressions second word, in this case the way hook rhymes directly with look however, perhaps contrary to expectations, the word hook is often removed, so you may hear someone say have a butchers at this.. Cockney Rhyming Slang - a common word replaced with a rhyming pair of words or longer phrase and then omitting the rhyming word, for example, "Apples and pears" (= stairs, becomes "apples"), butcher's hook (look, becomes "butcher's"), loaf of bread (head, becomes "loaf"). As in I accidentally nicked this pen from work. Another way it can be used is as a term for being arrested. proper job (southwest England and Cornwall). ", To crack on with something means to get started or continue with something. All right? Nicking something is UK slang for stealing. What I like about this term and its two/three usages is that the following sentence, Nick got nicked for nicking somethingmakes grammatical sense. Shall I get his number?. It is similar to the American word fancy, however it has a much more entrenched class basis. Dont talk rubbish.. Essex girl - brash, materialistic young woman supposedly common in Essex and the Home Counties. For example, His girlfriend broke up with him. Suss out - find, discover, understand. Its a British sitcom produced for the BBC (the national broadcaster for the UK) and follows the everyday life of the average working-class family in Manchester. For example, Yeah, everythings hunky-dory at the office.. We also have a pretty awesome article about British stereotypes, so feel free to check that out if youre interested! gorgeous. Scunnered - tired or exhausted (Glaswegian). Its chav slang to describe a person, usually a man, who is very unpleasant, incompetent, or is an idiot. There is nothing like French slang, or argot, to sound like, and connect with the locals. So, 'mate' is British slang for a friend. Below are some common teen slang words you might hear: AF - Stands for "as f**k," used to emphasize a statement (i.e. Bagsy - it's mine; succeed in securing (something) for oneself. Shiv - contemporary slang for knife or other sharp or pointed object used as a weapon (often homemade). "Grafting" is Scottish slang denoting a lad who is trying to get a girl to like him. For example, He tried to skive off work but got caught by his manager.. It can either be used to describe a boy or a girl. Under the cosh - in a difficult situation. Off the cuff - without preparation, spontaneous. Brummie - native of Birmingham (colloquial). Lost the plot - to become upset, angry, irrational. The Royle Family is an absolute classic. As such, you can use it like this, That bob is a good bloke.. Scroll down to continue reading article , The Ultimate Productivity Guide on Taking Charge of Time, Why am I so Tired and How to Boost My Energy, 51 Slang Terms You May Not Be Familiar With, 12 Top Internet Slang Terms You Should Know About, How To Make Time For Things That Matter by Connor Swenson, How to Work Remotely (Your Complete Guide), How to Become a Productivity Ninja by Graham Allcott, How to Make Time Work For You The Time Mastery Framework, The Impact of Procrastination on Productivity, The Forgotten Emotional Aspects of Productivity, How to Calm Your Mind For Hyperfocus by Chris Bailey, 8 Misconceptions of Time That Make You Less Productive. ", If youve gotten yourself into a kerfuffle, you are generally involved in a disagreement with someone. Kerfuffle is UK slang for a disagreement or fight. Used when you are talking to a close friend, and is often easily substituted for the American buddy, pal, or dude. Snotter, or Wipe-hauler: A pickpocket whose chief fancy is for gentlemens pocket handkerchiefs. However, pants can also be used as an equivalent of the word "bad" e.g. Some very noticeable differences between the two English languages are: Have you ever been the odd one out in a group of British mates not getting the joke? The first form of this is far more common, and is sometimes used internationally. Registered address: Unit 7, The Foundry Business Centre, Marcus Street, Birkenhead, England, CH41 1EU. Minging (pronounced: ming-ing) is a lovely alternative to the word disgusting or gross. Home Language Tips 50+ Common British Phrases to Impress your British Mates. A nifty little British term that means rubbish or crap. A more obscure British term, brass monkeys is used to refer to extremely cold weather. The Inbetweeners is a popular British comedy that follows a group of four socially troubled friends growing from their teenage years into adulthood. Fit is a way of saying that a person is attractive, or sexy. E.g. Start using Mondly for free on your computer or download the app and learn Spanish, French, German and more anytime, anywhere. If you're the CEO of something, it means you've mastered it or you're a pro. WebSynonyms for HANDSOME: graceful, elegant, fine, magnificent, majestic, proud, luxurious, glorious; Antonyms of HANDSOME: unhandsome, unfashionable, dowdy, Example: I wonder when this lush man will come our way. Yack - to vomit, usually because of intoxication. Naff was one of these words that actually meant someone was heterosexual. If the British slang term is used to describe a face, it means ugly.. When you've been faffing around all day and someone asks you what you did, you can respond saying "Bugger all" which means nothing at all.. To slag someone off means to make fun of a person by verbally attacking them. We have compiled a list of 275 of the best colloquial and informal words and phrases so you can get ready for your next trip to France, Canada or any other French-speaking country or your next Zoom meeting with your amis francophones! To use these UK slang words in a sentence youd say, Its getting late, I better crack on., Meaning of being bitterly disappointed about something. In some ways, trainers is the more appropriate term, after all, athletes tend to wear them while training, not sneaking. 3. Bloke would be the American English equivalent of dude. It means a "man.". 4. The usage is intended to promote, identify and search. Learning a language in the classroom is all very well and good but you dont really begin to experience the language until you know the slang. Haggle - argue, debate the price of something. They are meant for comprehension rather than reproduction. Minging - foul-smelling, unpleasant, very bad. Locktail - a cocktail invented or enjoyed during Covid-19 lockdown. In fact, to learn how to speak like someone froEssex you should watch The Only Way Is Oof! Weve rounded up the top 60 British slang that you need to know to navigate your way through the UK. Here is a quiz for you to test your knowledge. In the North of England, proper can also be used for emphasis in the same way as the word very'. Dunce - an unintelligent person, so called after the much-ridiculed 13th century Scottish theologian John Duns Scotus. The Covid-19 pandemic has been a recent source of new expressions as is popular music such as grime. To take the piss means to mock something, parody something, or generally be sarcastic and derisive towards something. Fit is a way of saying that a person is attractive, or sexy. Minging is UK slang for something gross or disgusting., If you've been called a mug, it means you're gullible or daft and can easily be taken advantage of. Further information on many of the listed terms is available via accompanying links. 3. Some people also refer to it as squid.. 10 minutes a day. Anorak - either hooded rainwear or slang for a nerd. I'm way too tired.. Some other great British TV shows include: Little Britain a British sketch comedy, that is also a great option to watch with the family. But, like a lot of British slang, mate is a word that is used as much sarcastically as it is sincerely. For example, Im going away for a fortnight to Egypt for my summer holiday.. This is the British slang phrase for alright or OK. Brassed off - annoyed and unhappy feeling. Home Blog 20 of the Most Common British Slang Words. Youre just as likely to call someone mate when they're your friend as when they're annoying you. Shambolic - disorganized, all over the place. Toad in the Hole - traditional English dish of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter. For example, you might say Im going to Steves birthday do tonight.. All rights reserved. Copyright 2023. E.g. Its fun, easy and efficient. ", Buzzin can mean to be tipsy or slightly drunk, "I'm buzzin' after that pint." In the UK, pants typically refers to underwear. Shagged out - (or just shagged) tired, exhausted. In context, Get the food, put in the microwave, heat it up, then bobs your uncle, ready to eat.. For example, When my girlfriend saw the mess Id made, she lost the plot.. Mither - Northern word meaning pester or irritate. "That's pants!". Sneezer: A pocket handkerchief. But what about slang words that are used around the world? It is common slang in the UK, especially with younger folks. Youll quickly pick-up contrasting meanings between other English speaking countries and common English slang words. Can also be used sarcastically in this same sense. Did you hear that Lisa snogged Pete at the Christmas party?. Crusty - usually young homeless or vagrant person stereotypically dreadlocked; can also mean angry or irritated. This is UK slang for tipsy as well as excited, with the latter meaning mainly used in Manchester., When you cant be bothered doing something, you might use this British slang phrase. WebHandsome often implies stateliness or pleasing proportion and symmetry: a handsome man. It is used as British slang for the word handsome or handsome man and is used to describe a person with a fit and healthy body as well. Proper is used as an alternative to very or extremely, something that can give a term extra weight. Skive - slang for slack off, avoid work (noun; skiver). Did you see how rude that guy was to me? Boob tube - tight-fitting strapless top made of stretchy material. Work-Life Integration vs Work-Life Balance: Is One Better Than the Other? (Explained), Is Harper a Male, Female or Unisex Name? Gobsmacked - slang for totally surprised, shocked. While American slang has become nearly universal with the influx of TV shows, films, and other media filling the screens of a significant majority of the media-viewing global population, there is so much more available once you dig beneath the surface of British slang terms and can discover some real gems beneath the surface. Baccy - tobacco, usually rolling tobacco. For example, I had a right kerfuffle with my girlfriend this morning over politics.. Gob is a British expression for mouth. (Explained), Is Ocie a Male, Female or Unisex Name? The phrase comes from the expression, its cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. E.g. With its influence on the world of pop culture and its ability to turn any conversation into a Monty Python skit, UK slang is here to stay. It might sound like something Egyptian mummies undergo but it's nothing of the sort. Smoke - the Smoke, the nickname for London.