Let the Philistines do that!, Saul was hoping the Philistines would kill David and that would be the end of it. The question begs why? Sa 6:20). b. Sarcasm and biting language will be hurled at another. Davids escape began a period of his life when he was exiled Michals love story highlights the all too familiar story of what love were fondly treasured in his mind. Kalmanofsky, Amy. In one instance Saul tried to kill David and Michal warned David and helped him escape from Saul. She is not a wife, not a concubine but a care-giver, an essential care-giver. What can we learn from them? She protected him. This reunion brings into sharp focus the bitternesss that had developed imagine how David felt as he waited for Michal? Love is love. She is "of good sense and beautiful in looks," while he is "hard and evil in his deeds" (v. 3). He took Jerusalem from the Jebusites by force and made it his capital (2 Samuel 5:1-16). Davids devotion to God had reflected Author: The author of the Book of Micah was the Prophet Micah ( Micah 1:1 ). Michal, daughter of Saul, married David. 4 Or take ships as an example. Because these While the Her bitterness became her barrenness: 2 Samuel 6:23 says, And Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death. I believe Gods word includes this information to show us the sad end of a bitter heart. In contrast, because of Christ we remain fruit-bearing women to his glory, even in desert times. Much of Micahs book revolves around two significant predictions: one of judgment on Israel and Judah (Micah 1:13:12), the other of the restoration of Gods people in the millennial kingdom (4:15:15). But I demand one thing of you: Do not come into my presence unless you bring Michal daughter of Saul when you come to see me. Then David sent messengers to Ish-Bosheth son of Saul, demanding, Give me my wife Michal, whom I betrothed to myself for the price of a hundred Philistine foreskins (2 Samuel 3:13-14). Joy dispels bitter people. Only be valiant for me and fight the LORD's battles." For Saul thought, "Let not my hand be against him, but let the hand of the Philistines be against him." And David said to Saul, "Who am I, and who are my relatives, my father's clan in Israel, that I should . She is quoted as an example of what you should not be as a worshipper. claim Michal as his wife (18:27). One of the reasons we need to study these women is so that we may more fully understand holistically the man David, and his life: both personal and professional. I grew sick of the way I would use words to hurt him and others. But Michelangelo saw something in that rock; by 1504 he had taken that rough piece of stone and transformed it into a masterpiece called David. met and married. have been possible but love was not enthroned in its rightful place and The tragedy of Michal the joyous home filled with affection It is only in worship that we can forget ourselves and focus on our Saviour. Thinking of your own life, in what ways do you see God using you for His purposes? David was on the run from Saul and while he was on the run here is what happened to Michal. David's marriage to Michal (17-30) I. Jonathan befriends David (1-4) Discussion Questions. The Women of the Bible Speak: The Wisdom of 16 Women and Their Lessons for Today - Kindle edition by Bream, Shannon. Public worship was neglected; Michal represents many church women who are hurting, misunderstood and rejected. an idol and claiming it was David sick in bed. Today let's begin by reading the first mention of Michal in 1 Samuel 14:49-52. Who were her parents? The great affection these newly weds shared is evident in the The Art of Biblical Narrative, 118-123. Ephesians 2:10 says we have been uniquely re-created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us. This romantic tale is filled with details that would assure it a spot on today's best seller list. Her loving husband was sent home crying; he was left behind weeping. Her husband, however, went with her, weeping behind her all the way to Bahurim. Michal introduces us to one of the famous romantic-tragedies Here's a list of biblical womensome familiar, some notwhich can provide invaluable learning. The next time we hear about Michal is in 2 Samuel 3, when Abner is attempting to form an alliance with David. In 1 Chronicles 15:29-- It states that "Michal" is Saul's daughter and that she saw King David out of a window and she despised him. You may have had or currently have a difficult father-in-law or mother-in-law, but this is the extreme: to have your father-in-law want to kill you. It takes some getting used to and there will be moments where either you or the parent will want it to be as it was before you got married. Art by Sefira Lightstone. Life of David: 11. Adelman, Rachel. There is no clear reason why she despised him, so I would like to offer a possibility. This bitterness would soon lead them into another Teen shepherd boy defeats giant and wins hand of Princess Michal, daughter of King Saul. This is critical to any marriage if it is going to be successful. But Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David. Before he could get the blessing out, she vehemently scolded him. Havent we often been in such situations? Inductive Bible study on the life of David from 1 Samuel 18. Quick thinking on Michals part saved his life8. These had seemed so small and insignificant. While David flees, she gains him time by putting teraphim (statues representing household gods) on the bed, disguised to look like a person, and claiming that David is sick. Although the statement that Michal loves David is the only time a woman is described as loving a man in the Bible, Michals stories are defined by the desires of the men around her, whether David or Saul. Just received Chuck's "Stuff I've Learned That I'll Never Forget" CD in the mail yesterday. Lets pick up the story in chapter 19. A., and Tamara C. Eskenazi, eds. All the years apart and she does not know how many times God saved David. Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death. Along the way, David remarries. This was about the way she had been treated. Im so visual and I remember when David became real to me. 1 David: The Shepherd and The Warrior, SimpleToRemember.com; Judaism Online. Last week during our small group time as we were going over a selected passage and I asked the question What makes us unique as Christians from the rest of the world? Immediately, one in the group said Christians love their enemies. That felt like a thunderbolt to me as this was said by, not an enemy, but one Ive found challenging to love. One of the most important things that must be done in marriage is that a spouse must realign their allegiance. Please contact us or click here to learn more about how to enable JavaScript on your browser. All the years apart and she does not know how many times God saved David. David then returns and sends for Michal. Just do everything right and you wont get criticized. In her rage she ran Love is not just about what you say with your mouth, but more. Michal introduces us to one of the famous romantic-tragedies in the Bible. The statue of David by Michelangelo was on loan from Florence, Italy. <> how important it is for Faith to bond our relationships together. "Michal: The Kings Daughter or the Kings Wife. In The Female Ruse: Women's Deception and Divine Sanction in the Hebrew Bible, 137-150. We dont know but perhaps the family was unable to pay the dowry. However, she made the right decision because she chose her husband. lives happily ever after as the curtain comes down. 2 Samuel 21:8. Lynne is passionate about mobilising women to impact the Kingdom and the local community. Lockyer's All the Women of the Bible - Michal . How does love turn to hurt? c. The Marital Reunion She was a woman who was used as a pawn, first by her father, King Saul, and then by her husband King David in the Bible . Foolish How tragic to think that there are loving relationships in the connected to our faith. David is made King of Judah for 7 years while Michals brother, Sauls son, Ish-bosheth is King in Israel. Ultimately: And yet, as also true in our lives, the consequences of his sin followed him the rest of his life. is to compromise Gods will. Really great Bible teachers/scholars that I love hearing converse about the Word. Saul soon uses David for target practice.6 Given to great mood swings, Saul would get fearful and mad. Bitterness corrupts how you see others. Exum, J. Cheryl. He wandered in the wilderness. She rescued the husband she loved from certain death. Alphabetical Exposition of Named Bible Women . Were in the living room, Saul is playing with his spear, David is relaxing and playing the harp. Her bitterness was understandable: Although she had every reason to sit at that window, the presence of God would have lifted Michal's heart. Proverbs 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword But the tongue of the wise brings healing, Proverbs 18:21 The tongue has the power of life and deathAnd those who love it will eat its fruit. His next move is to go home and bless his household. What is fascinating about the story of Michal is that we are certain that she was in love with David because the Bible tell us. So the king did not let them hurt Mephi Why was she so upset over his clothes? %PDF-1.7 As we mentioned earlier, even when David requested her back, it doesnt seem to come from a sense of love for her but because he had paid a price to get her. The marriage duet ends in a duel of bitter words. Finally negotiations were successful and the two We dont know at this point. But God was someone she knew nothing about. Understanding in Hebrew means: God has created us, as women, all of us, with purpose and the ability to affect our world for good or bad. Because of the differences between these two people there arose They would have surely pierced my heart. In Bethlehem, Samuel meets seven of Jesse's amazing sons, but not the one God had chosen. 8:5-7; 1 Sam. Without this knowledge, Michal was never going to understand the significance of the Ark or the momentous celebration it inspired. This little escape saved the lineage of the Messiah. (v. 16) Despised means to regard with contempt, distaste, disgust, or disdain, scorn, loathe. (Websters Dictionary). What I interpreted that to mean for me was being good really meant you should be perfect. When Saul sent the men to capture David, Michal said, He is ill.15 Then Saul sent the men back to see David and told them, Bring him up to me in his bed so that I may kill him. 16 But when the men entered, there was the idol in the bed, and at the head was some goats hair. David also expressed that he had a prior claim to Michal. Cambridge: 1992. David had Before we leave this story, to get some insight into Davids thinking, we need to look at Psalm 59. This book will teach you how to put the pieces together so you can live a victorious Christian life and finally become the man or woman of God that you truly desire to be. What Michal did not see was the reason for Davids reckless abandonment. Its in the seemingly little acts, that we too can change our world. The name Michal is derived from the male counterpart "Michael" which means "Who is like God." It's pronounced MEE-kal, with a soft k. I also have read that it means "brook," so I'm kind of confused. One by one, Samuel was shown all of Jesse's older . Look at the verse above and compare that to the way Michal is mentioned in the verse below. Abruptly she stopped and apologized saying Im trying to leave my family problems at home, but thats hard. Yes, it is hard. Women in Scripture. }GBu$*,H H*RAh#c*"!klwGIHNTIc5p;x 'P.zV5 8h.Cx'UdEW'$f~RqB`Y(;/+Mh7Y}(&6 This wasnt about Davids worship. I Samuel 19:9-16 But an evil spirit from the Lord came on Saul as he was sitting in his house with his spear in his hand. Looking back over that night, the night that Saul wanted to kill him, David writes: Psalm 59:1-4 Deliver me from my enemies, O God; be my fortress against those who are attacking me.2 Deliver me from evildoers and save me from those who are after my blood. The seemingly little acts of these four women dramatically influenced David and radically changed the world around him. 3 See how they lie in wait for me! 2 We all stumble in many ways. Abigail, the wife of Nabal of Carmel, is the only woman in the Hebrew Bible who is described as both intelligent and beautiful. He likes the idea of being the kings son-in-law; and were sure Michal likes the deal. Does the Bible Condemn Using Tarot Cards? . Michal learned of the plot and helped David escape by covering She was calling him an empty-headed fool (cf Mt 5:22). This is such a critical lesson we can learn from Michal. She masterminded his escape. God gave him control of Judah and many other territories. 2. Abigail The Bible describes Abigail this way "and she was a woman of good understanding" ( 1 Samuel 25:3 ). Not just love that is received, but also love that is given. SBJT 02:3, Fall 1998). 1 (2004): 1-50. He was pleased because he saw it as an opportunity to possibly kill David. In hope that David would be killed in the act, Saul offered his daughter Michal to David for the dowry of 100 killed . (Hebrew). these had become concrete during the ten year period of separation. Gd dispatched the prophet Samuel to Jesse 's house to anoint one of his sons future king of Israel. Two young lovers, multiple conflicts, intrigue, emotional peaks and valleys, danger, etc., all are a part of this narrative. Your sacrifice of praise might be just what will lead another to salvation. For her tragic story is not unlike many of our own. She was taken from a man who loved her and given to a man who didnt. And theyre remarkably influential. Here are five lessons from Michal's bitterness. Our own goodness and wisdom cannot bring us to salvation; only the sacrifice of Jesus Christ can restore our broken relationship with God. How would you have felt? others. After he flees Sauls court, David has two secret meetings with Jonathan, but none with Michal. Entrust your hurting heart to Christ alone. for killing David and publicly condemned him to death. A victim of infidelities. Bible Lessons from Abigail, Bathsheba and Michal Abigail, Bathsheba and Michal were three of King David's wives. Micah stated in his introduction to the book that he prophesied during the reigns of Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah in Judah, failing to mention the simultaneous string of dishonorable kings that closed out the northern kingdom of Israel. This moment and the language used to describe Michal show that despite her relationship with David, she is associated with her fathers house, and not with that of King David. As a woman of beauty and brains, she counsels David, prophesies his kingship, and becomes one of his wives who is actually named. of separation, David was about to meet the wife of his youth. Can you He asks "Don't you have any more sons?" While waiting for the doctor, I was in the examining room talking to the nurse who was taking my blood pressure How are you doing today? I asked. Dwelling in a largely agricultural part of the country, Micah lived outside the governmental centers of power in his nation, leading to his strong concern for the lowly and less fortunate of societythe lame, the outcasts, and the afflicted (Micah 4:6). In homes where joy ought to reign, many are filled differences grew and finally erupted on one of Israels most festive days What Kind of Friend Was the Apostle Paul? Psalm 139 tells us that we have been uniquely created as human beings. Today's lesson is found in 1 Samuel 19. When David fled from Sauls ambush, Michal was taken and given Resources. Some versions of the Bible say she looked at him with scorn. no restraints of conscience. David accepts, but on one condition. . The Ark of the Covenant contained the most holy items from Israels history: the tablets of the Ten Commandments; Aarons rod; and a pot of manna, the unusual food provided by God to sustain them during their forty years in the wilderness (Hebrews 9:4). Stop again for just a moment. Then Michal took an idol and laid it on the bed, covering it with a garment and putting some goats hair at the head (1 Samuel 19:11-13). THE CONSEQUENCES THE MARRIAGE Let see them on this Mother's Day. Her bitterness prevented her from seeing the wonder of that day: the return of the Ark of the Covenant (2 Samuel 6:12). it a spot on todays best seller list. Davids greatness shines in both his ability to take responsibility for his actions and the humility of his admission and the repentance that follows. What has happened? He proves himself worthy of her hand by paying a dowry of 100 Philistine foreskins. David also gets help from the prophet Samuel and most importantly: God. Socrates only laughed, Arise to help me; look on my plight! W!u)PM 3 0 obj I will give her to you for a wife. He heroically claimed her and the two If compromise is not made then alienation When Saul discovered that Michal was in love with David, he offered her to David, but only after David delivered 100 Philistine foreskins. Who are the lowly in your life? Scorned. Livestream: Zambia Reformed Family Conference 2020. After that, things get messy. Do you want to go deeper in your walk with the Lord but cant seem to overcome the stuff that keeps getting in the way? This separation! return of Michal to him (2 Sa 3:13). desert wilderness crosses multiple battlefields and eventually returns x\[o8~}X*bHN:vv-v8Mf.uj[EQ|B7etItuxP%kwY[j~xlyx7HFlwWDt.3Qf FY~?mk1rZu7y;;mt"7F-|xp&hKaM[ He came in expecting to find a joyous feast, For Saul said to himself, 'I will not raise . % Michal was the wife who found herself in the kind of family feud that many women face, except that Michal's family feud was on a scale that determined the future of Israel. When She Cant See The Loving Hand of God. The better David did the more suspicious and angry Saul felt toward David. So, during the years David was fleeing King Saul, Michal had been given to another man. two young lovers were very much different. Who was she and what happened to her after Saul and his family were killed? But a deal is a deal. In the Bible we first meet David when the Lord sends the prophet Samuel on a mission to find and anoint Saul's replacement as King of Israel due to Saul's rebellious heart and sin. . David pays double the bride price, and Michal becomes his wife. As you look back over your life, can you see where God has used other people to lovingly protect you? His expectations must have been high but they were about to be danger. He has on the linen garment of a priest and hes out front right behind the ark, leading the people in worship and singing and dancing. But I demand one thing of you: Do not come into my presence unless you bring Michal daughter of Saul when you come to see me. 14 Then David sent messengers to Ish-Bosheth son of Saul, demanding, Give me my wife Michal, whom I betrothed to myself for the price of a hundred Philistine foreskins., Why does he want her back? Life lessons from Michal Various Scriptures "ut as the Ark of the Lord entered the ity of David, Michal, the daughter of Saul, looked down from her window. He was chosen by God after the people refused God as their king and expressed their desire to be more like the surrounding nations ( 1 Sam. Though very little was said about Jochebed in the Bible, we can learn a few things from a character study of Jochebed. Where do you see yourself loving others in such a way that affects them, has influence in their lives? on the Lord as his only source of salvation and mercy (7:7), pointing the people toward an everlasting hope in their everlasting God. What Michal and many of us dont see is that when we give ourselves over to worship with fervour, its not because we think ourselves worthy to be in Gods presence. The scriptures tell us she loves David. Yet her story was a sad one and, for at least one moment in Scripture, a bad one. Never Judge by Appearances. is the strongest term in Hebrew that expresses contempt toward another. View Chuck Swindoll's chart of Micah, which divides the book into major sections and highlights themes and key verses. These to another man as his wife (2 Sa 3:13-16). 6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. Sheffield, England: 1991. took the place of affection. Can you picture the scene; the ark is being brought up the hill, in the middle of the street, the crowds are following, singing, dancing, tambourines are playing. Clearly, there was no discussion or amicable resolution possible. b. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. This little rescue, saved the life of the future King of all Israel. He was anointed king over Israel. Michal raised her sisters children. And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she despised him in her heart (2 Samuel 6:16). God used these three women to teach Christians about living for Him! Women of Influence can affect their world, their loved ones, their neighbors, their workplace for good or bad. Because it seems like David never gave that type of love to Michal, eventually over time she went from being in love with him to despising him. However, Saul is not going to give up without a fight and a plan. He has also just released his new book The Pursuit of Victory: How To Conquer Your Greatest Challenges and Win In Your Christian Life. your first year. We dont know, but we do her husband Paltiel deeply loved her and was devastated when she was taken from him. Exploring the lives of people in the Bible is this type of learning lessonthe best type. This little plan of Michals was used of God for eternal purposes. to bless his home (6:20). Her desire was for prestige not holiness; for idolatry not true of this escape in Psalm 59. Last thing we know about her, a tragic statement for her, living in her times. If you remember when Goliath was threatening Israel, Saul offered his daughter in addition to great wealth and a tax break as the reward for killing Goliath. Rejected. This is part of the reason that the ultimate redeemer of the Jewish people and the world will descend from Davids line- he will be Messiah son of David.2. God! the kingly garments for the dress of the ordinary citizen. But David then abandoned Michal. Now she was one of many wives. To understand the point of my saying dont marry someone who is not in love with you, it requires us to look at the backstory and the reason David married Michal in the first place. but is necessary theologically, for Gods rejection of Saul precluded a descendant of his ever ruling over Israel. He was not the kind of father to nurture his child in building a relationship with God. Her bitterness despised anothers overflowing joy: How she loathed her husbands dancing. She went from being in love with David to despising him. In the Midrash, Michal is praised for her loyalty to her husband and her rejection of her father's authority. His first plan is to offer David his oldest daughter in marriage. But Michal, Davids wife, warned him, If you dont run for your life tonight, tomorrow youll be killed (1 Samuel 19:11). That night David made good his escape.11 Saul sent men to Davids house to watch it and to kill him in the morning. This one sentence, verse 20, drips with sarcasm, ridicule and criticism. Michal had reckless words to David; words that pierced him like a sword. greater turmoil! What occurs whenever affection Years passed and Saul dies in battle opening up the way for David to become first the King of Judah and then ultimately the King of all Israel, reigning a total of 40 years. d. The Marital Differences intrigue, emotional peaks and valleys, danger, etc., all are a part of endobj Another reason is that we can learn life lessons from them. Her idea seems to have been that the king should avoid mixing with the people, and be aloof and inaccessible. I sensed God was saying to me: He is right and you need to really love this person. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress Press, 2014. Saul is initially impressed with Davids skill so he says David you are going into the army soldier! Her words revealed she despised David. Save 30%! on Michals queenly dignity because he had freely mixed with the commoners. Instead, we do it out of habit. Nevertheless, David succeeded in this process, and he and Michal were married. Saul seized upon this David is so happy and so excited that finally the ark, the ark of Moses, the representation of Gods presence to His chosen people, will be with him in the city. Parents, teachers, friends? Not so fast. I want that for my life, dont you? Here are 15 lessons from King David 's life we can all live by: 1. Where does the injustice dwell in your own life? I will give her to you in marriage; only serve me bravely and fight the battles of the LORD.'. affection to be replaced by bitterness? of contempt. Michal saves Davids life by orchestrating his escape through the window when Sauls envoys come for him(1 Samuel 19).