*(previously Briggs Stadium & Navin Field), Most Homers hit by opposing players Ted Williams said Briggs Stadium had the best sight lines of any ballpark, and that was back when the interior was painted green. The ball would have kept going, lending to a final true-distance calculation of 530 feet. This list includes icons, Hall and Famers and rakers who wielded unquestionably elite power. In the 1971 All-Star Game, Reggie Jackson hit a ball off a transformer in deep right-center field that left the bat so fast that all TV could catch was its return trip to earth. In 1970, when ABC signed on to carry Monday Night Football on a weekly basis, the network came to Detroit to do a trial run at an exhibition game. What are your home run memories of Tiger Stadium? Skeptics will certainly be forgiven for doubting that distance, but others will prefer to simply believe. Great American Ball Park's second season on Aug. 10, 2004, when he crushed a Jose Lima offering well beyond the fence in center field, which stands 404 feet out. With the OPEN sign light I though well came all this way just aswell give it a try and am I glad I did. For everyone's entertainment, Miami should loan Stanton to Colorado and see how much damage he could inflict during a full season at Coors. ESPN's Home Run Tracker has also studied long balls since 2006, giving fans a better sense of how homers travel. Strawberry hit another dinger during New York's Opening Day victory and matched his previous season's career high with 39 homers that year. Jose Canseco's upper-deck blast helped the Oakland Athletics defeat the Toronto Blue Jays in the 1989 American League Championship Series. On May 2, 1939, Lou Gehrigs streak of 2,130 consecutive games ended when he asked out of the Yankees lineup complaining of a headache. As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. "I was sitting on a changeup, because he only threw like 88," Dunn recalled to Cincinnati Enquirer's C. Trent Rosecrans a year later. In the fifth inning, with Alan Trammel on first, Fielder was sitting on a 2-0 count when he took a vicious swing and fouled off a Dave Stewart fastball. There should be no doubt about the authentication of these conclusions. Berry lay injured while Horton, who was hardly fleet afoot, circled the bases for an inside-the-park home run. This blast off Glendon Rusch caromed off the center field awning for an estimated 504 feet. The Tigers Kirk Gibson hit a home run onto the street in 1983 but it was less than 600 feet. Ruths mammoth homer is the only ball to be confirmed to have left Navin Field/Briggs Stadium/Tiger Stadium in center field. Mike, I was at that game in 1996 when Delgado hit that blast, sitting the Box Seats in the upper deck in right. But the Yankees turned on their old nemesis, knocking him out with seven runs in two innings. I saw Jason Rooftop Thompson hit one out of Tiger Stadium over right center field off of Dick Tidrow of the Yankees. Over the roof, gone, home run for Cecil!. There was a huge outcry from traditionalists that the ballpark needed be saved as a historical monument (it had been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989). Its unique dimensions allowed fans to get closer than usual to the ballgame. Why Ill never sell my Mark Fidrych rookie card, Ken Holloway: Detroits other Yankee Killer, These batters hit the most home runs at Tiger Stadium, #TBT: Tigers power hitting catcher Mickey Tettleton. I put the location into google maps off I went. Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers) updates Thank you so much, I can't wait to wear my jersey to a Wings game! Writers described fire and smoke behind the outfield walls as a game went on. I swear one of the Angels hit one either on or over the roof in 84 or 85. Text by Dave Wright Photos by John Moist. As I approached the area I quickly realized I was in more an industrial & commercial area then retail. Awesome article Dan as usual! The Oakland Athletics outfielder stepped up to the plate against Pittsburgh Pirates hurler Dock Ellis, who according to Baseball-Reference.com entered the Midsummer Classic sporting a 2.11 ERA. Team owner George Vanderbeck constructed a 5,000-seat wooden facility, called Bennett Park, on the corner of Michigan and Trumbull Avenues. In 1923, Navin increased capacity to 30,000. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), People are hurting: With so many flood-damaged homes, money is on the way to help, Photos: Best and worst looks from the 2023 Met Gala, Seaweed mass hits record-breaking size in Caribbean as it heads to Florida and Gulf, First Republic Bank seized, sold in fire sale to JPMorgan, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. Acquired from the then-Anaheim Angels in 2001, the 1995 American League MVP spent his entire first season with the Mets sidelined before returning a shell of himself in 2002. Although that game was never televised, Tiger Stadium remained a part of the opening for the series for many years long after the Lions had moved to the Pontiac Silverdome. This never happened. Answerbag wants to provide a service to people looking for answers and a good conversation. I just saw and heard the crowd going crazy.. Having hit 31 home runs in 506 at-bats with Toronto, in Japan Fielder produced 38 in only 384 at-bats. Customer Service On June 28, 1990, the ballpark hosted another unusual event. Three Rivers Stadium: 147: Tiger Stadium: 226: T-Mobile Field* 83: Tropicana Field* 129: Turner Field: 226: Veterans Stadium: 265 . In 1984, Kirk Gibson launched a home run into the upper deck in right field in the 8th inning of Game Five of the World Series, sealing the title for the Tigers. The green box was considered a home-run haven. Have Your Own Jersey? "The Rockies credited Piazza with a 496-foot home run, but their procedure for measuring home runs at the time did not attempt to include the additional distance the ball would have flown had it not landed on the concourse," ESPN's blurb said in defense of its enhanced projection. Future Legends Sports Complex (Northern Colorado Owlz) Hinchliffe Stadium renovations Facing Seattle's Mike Moore in a game on September 14, 1986, Bo hit his first major league home run, a titanic blast that landed high on the grassy knoll of left-center field. Either way, everyone can agree he hit the ball very far. He frantically signaled to the sidelines to get help for Hughes. I was very happy for Cecil.. I had always been a tremendous Mantle fan my growing years, Susman said. But there was nothing anybody could do. Partially because of that incident, a pad was put in place on the flagpole. Anyone can read what you share. With apologies to those whose over-reported shots were downgraded or removed, bumping up a career .344/.482/.634 legend feels warranted. Ask away and we will do our best to answer or find someone who can.We try to vet our answers to get you the most acurate answers. I don't live nearby so the ability to have it shipped for $10 was well worth the cost. Urban legends of Mickey Mantle's power prowess have run wild. The latter once flipped off Sparky Anderson after hitting a home run into the right field upper deck in 1993. Frank Navin, who bought the team in 1908, was a man with big ideas. Shipping Service No comments 0 Dannyboy Al Kaline.). MLB Network'sBob Costas credits it above as the Guinness Book of World Records holder for longest home run. I've been a Detroit Tigers fan since the 70s and recently found VDC, I ordered a home and road personalized player t and a Freehan 11 1968 player t and they are awesome shirts, I will definitely be ordering more from them. , Where to live in New York if you've just come into $324 million. That much is known. This is why: for decades during the earlier history of that ball park, the roofed, left-field spectator stands did not exist. What do you get when you combine a block party and a baseball league? Reggie was one hell of a master blaster!!!! But Chicago linebacker Dick Butkus, one of the toughest players to ever play the game, knew better. Fielder joined Harmon Killebrew (1962) and Frank Howard (1968) as the only players to hit a home run over those left-field grandstands. As a result, no assortment of baseball's longest blasts can be considered 100 percent credible. ),

The Tigers moved to Comerica Park in 2000 but the Corner remained standing. In 1968, his last at-bat came there when he struck out in Game 5 of the World Series. Longest Home Run Ever Hit. Shipping Service Righty Paul Foytack fired a fastball right into the Mick's killing zone and he jumped on it. The National League, originally founded in 1876, consists of the following teams: Arizona Diamondbacks; Atlanta Braves; Chicago Cubs; Cincinnati Reds; Colorado Rockies; Los Angeles Dodgers; Miami Marlins; Milwaukee Brewers; New York Mets; Philadelphia Phillies; Pittsburgh Pirates; San Diego Padres; San Francisco Giants; St. Louis Cardinals; and Washington Nationals.Visit MLB.com: http://mlb.mlb.comSubscribe to MLB.TV: http://mlb.mlb.tvDownload MLB.com At Bat: http://mlb.mlb.com/mobile/atbatDownload MLB.com At The Ballpark: http://mlb.mlb.com/mobile/attheballparkPlay Beat The Streak: http://mlb.mlb.com/btsGet MLB Tickets: http://mlb.mlb.com/ticketsGet Official MLB Merchandise: http://mlb.mlb.com/shopConnect with us:YouTube: http://youtube.com/MLB Facebook: http://facebook.com/mlbTwitter: http://twitter.com/mlbPinterest: http://pinterest.com/MLBAMInstagram: http://instagram.com/mlbofficialTumblr: http://mlb.tumblr.comGoogle+: http://plus.google.com/MLB He was 38 years old in his 16th season, but he still went yard 28 times over 450 plate appearances and earned a .567 slugging percentage. Not to be picky but Griffey didnt flip off Sparky. You just dont get this type of service anywhere else folks and turns out it all to be a great value as well as they search the system for every possible discount they could give me. After the Tigers defeated the As, 14-4, in a slugfest that featured seven homers, Stewart told reporters that it was the longest homer he had ever given up. Unlike the 1971 All Star game blast when his Famous homer hit the light tower in right center and came back onto the field, his 1984 blast TOTALLY cleared the roof and left the stadium. Have Your Own Jersey? Reggie Jackson's 1971 All-Star Game shot at Tiger Stadium would have traveled more than 600. [ Cecil Fielder became a Tigers superstar, thanks to Sparky Anderson's positivity ], I always shined against the Bash Brothers, Fielder said from his home in Tampa, Florida. The new system pinpointed a 115.8-mph exit velocity with a launch angle of 18.3 degrees. As MLB.com's Ben Weinribnoted, the blast marked the longest homer since MLB installed Statcast in all stadiums in 2015. There was a one-year spike in attendance but the 1994 baseball strike wiped out a lot of good will earned. ESPN's Home Run Tracker tells a different story, calculating the final distance of Piazza's slam at 515 feet. I was just so impressed by this blast., Harwell told Susman Mantles blast was about the longest weve seen.. In the 22nd inning, Jack Reed hit the only home run of his 129-at bat career off Phil Regan for a 9-7 win. Three who did were Roberto Clemente in the 71 All-Star Game, Larry Herndon in 1983, and Mark McGwire in 1987. The old ballpark at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull in Detroits Corktown district was one of the games most unusual ballparks. ESPN's Home Run Tracker docked his true distance down to 487. One of those occurred on June 24, 1962. On September 10, 1960, with two out and two on in the seventh, Mickey worked the count to 2-0. 15. With no concrete numbers for anything before 2006, evaluating all-time distances remains an inexact science. It was a rarity. Recently got a blank jersey stitched at Vintage Detroit and the finished product looks awesome! Privacy Policy August Publications was formed in 2002 with the launch of Ballpark Digest. The league scheduled eight more games in the next five years. Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates. Slate's John Pastiercalculated a similar distance of roughly 479 feet. Quick shipping as well. There were many famous home runs hit there, such as Babe Ruths 700th, and the walkoff homer by Ted Williams in the 1941 All-Star Game. With a little more than a month left in the season, the question became whether Fielder would reach 50 home runs in a year, a feat that had not been accomplished since Cincinnatis George Foster hit 52 homers in 1977. Thank you so much, I can't wait to wear my jersey to a Wings game! The exact distance, however, remains disputed. Bill Freehan deserves special mention in that he hit exactly 100 home runs at Tiger Stadium and also 100 on the road. Comments. All in all, however, the ballpark had a helluva good run. I think they left Dick Allen in 1973 for the White Sox. (For one season 1954 the Tigers shortened right field to 302 feet. The club went 68-86 and hit 18 fewer home runs than the year before. In 1921 alone, which was, best tape measure season, he hit at least one 500 foot home run in all eight American League cities. Thats 59 home runs for each team for the entire season. Cleveland, however, commemorated Thome's blast in 2014 by placing a statue of the franchise's all-time homer leader near the landing sight of Progressive Field's longest home run. You are correct about Howard. I bet that was a great experience, seeing Killebrews home run. Crews, who recently moved into the LSU all-time Top 10 list for home runs, launched a three-run dinger - his 12th homer of the season - in the third inning to increase the Tigers' lead to. "The ball assumed what can only be called a majestic arc and landed on the left-field roof in Tiger Stadium," Ryan wrote. The final act came on September 27, 1999. "Examination of satellite and ground-based digital photos suggests that the 502-foot figure is an accurate measurement of the horizontal distance to the 'Red Seat,' but since the impact point was approximately 30 feet above field level, the ball would have covered more distance before landing at field level, had its flight not been interrupted.". "I don't think anyone could ever be comfortable getting a statue, I mean that respectfully," Thome said during the unveiling ceremony, per Cleveland.com's Joey Morona. That afternoon, facing Ty Cobb and the Tigers, Ruth smacked a pitch so high, so far, that the baseball must have looked like a distant star to the sparse crowd of about 3,000 who were in Navin Field, which is what the ballpark later known as Tiger Stadium was known as then. By the time television and football began its long, happy marriage, Detroit was well established as the home field for the annual Thanksgiving Day game. HELLO LOU BROCK OF THE CHICAGO CUBS HIT A HOMERUN IN THE CENTERFIELD BLEACHERS AT THE POLO GROUNDS IN A 1ST GAME OF A DOUBLEHEADER AGAINST THE NEW YORK METS ON 6-17-1962 and on 6-18-1962 hank AARON of the braves also hit a homerun in the centerfield bleachers a day after brock hit his. Field of Dreams ballpark (Dyersville, IA) Unlike some teams that played in baseball parks, the Lions made no attempt to cover the infield. I put the location into google maps off I went. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Customer Service Reportedly, the baseball landed across the intersection of Cherry and Trumbull. If not for hitting a transformer on Tiger Stadium's roof, the baseball would have experienced a further journey. There were strange home runs: one hit on a line drive that stuck under the wall and allowed Dixie Walker to circle the bases in 1939; a homer that rattled around the flag pole in deep center field while Lou Gehrig ran around the bases in 1933; and the inside-the-park homer that Kirk Gibson hit in which he was a stride behind teammate Lou Whitaker who slid safely in front of him scoring from first base. houses for sale golden grove treboeth, ryobi airstrike brad nailer won't fire, boric acid and birth control,