TheLudwig Supraphonic snareoffers a surprisingly smooth and warm tone despite its thin aluminum shell. It has a warm yet punchy sound that makes it suitable for pretty much any style of music imaginable. Its the next best thing to having them all set up so you can play them right next to each other. Happy customers, one piece of gear at a time! So I've listed the drums below in alphabetical order. The Ultimate Free Online Drumming Resource. The construction is fantastic. Slingerland named it after world-renowned drummer Gene Krupa who is credited for catapulting drummers into the limelight. Its easy to engage and it feels heavy-duty. Kit:Ludwig Keystone. Shell material: Beaded steel, beaded seamless aluminium, beaded phosphor bronze. In the first section of the song, I needed giant floor toms to play a unison part with the strings, bass, and guitar. A Sweetwater Sales Engineer will get back to you shortly. Looking for sympathy in all the wrong places? Heres a list of the gear used on Money (Thats What I Want)., featuring Mapex, Paiste, Aquarian, Vic Firth. Take a listen and see what this whole kit sounds like. Roundover type bearing edges are more associated with earlier vintage style drums giving a shorter sustain and more fundamental note. TheLudwig Black Beautyhas a darker tone with a more aggressive bite. Ludwig Supraphonic | Reverb LB406XXC 110th Anniversary Black Beauty 5x14" 8-Lug Brass Snare Drum 2019. Ludwig Supralite Snare Drum - 6.5-inch x 14-inch. . DW Collectors Series Maple, Slingerland Radio King. Heres a list of the gear used on Im Gone., featuring TAMA, Sonor, Ludwig, DW, Yamaha, Trick, Zildjian, Aquarian, Remo, Evans, Vic Firth. By continuing to use Reverb, you agree to these updates, and to our cookie policy. However, there are now some modern drum companies who use a grain configuration that turn that theory on its head. They use a solid wood core layered with maple plies so you get the punchiness, brightness, and attack of maple, but that solid wood core gives it a warmth and depth, more than just a typical maple drum. Ludwig Snare Drum comparison video. 9 Snare drums. Ludwig & BDC The Provincial Competitiveness Index has rated higher the level of labor training quality in Hanoi, at an average of 7.88 as compared to Ho Chi Minh, which scored 7.12. This project called for transparent mics that would give us an uncolored sound and cleanly handle really high SPLs, and, for that job, the obvious choice was DPA microphones on every drum, every cymbal, the whole kit. Rims were also brass. The Acrolite has a higher voice than the Copperphonic. A great range of metal-shelled snare drums for all playing styles. In this article, Im going to be comparing the two legendary Ludwig Black Beauty Vs Supraphonic snares to understand the differences and see which offers the most versatile performance and best value for money. ludwig snare strainer. Soon after he applied its mechanics to create a unique drum tensioning system that could simultaneously tune top and bottom headsor each head separatelyfrom the topside of the drum, without having to turn it upside down. Its not as aggressive or ringy as the Black Beauty, but it produces a sound that is just as punchy and focused. In this short vido we gonna compare two amazing snare drums by Ludwig, Supraphonic vs Black BeautyFor best results we tuned both drums to the same tones, fun. Ludwig Imperial Lug for Beaded Shell - amazon.com For this record, Im using a different drum kit, literally, a different drum kit on every song, notes DVirgilio (NDV, for short). I really like taking technology loops, arpeggios, things like that and adding acoustic instruments on top of it. I own both. I chose the Ludwig Classic Oak Pro Beat 24 for this rocking track. Whilst it has a great attack, the tone is also still very warm and musical. Opening hours: 8 am - 5 pm every day. . In addition to some of the best high-end drums ever manufactured, Ludwig has also offered a myriad of high-quality, well-built, and budget-friendly options. Location: TL15, Phu Hiep, Cu Chi District, Ho Chi Minh City. Please check the fields highlighted in red. This track has a main groove that would need to utilize the toms and a powerful bass drum. Its tone is a little more musical and rounded. This kit is called Hodgepodge 2, and its a mix and match of lots of the other drums I used on this project. The technique is called uzukuri. PDP By DW Black Wax Maple Snare Drum 7x13. Watch the Song and Gear Breakdown of Nick DVirgilios Money (Thats What I Want), Watch the Song and Gear Breakdown of Nick DVirgilios Turn Your Life Around, Watch the Song and Gear Breakdown of Nick DVirgilios Wheres the Passion, Watch the Song and Gear Breakdown of Nick DVirgilios Overcome, Watch the Song and Gear Breakdown of Nick DVirgilios Im Gone, Big Fat Snare Auto-Tone Snare Drum Topper, Watch the Song and Gear Breakdown of Nick DVirgilios I Know the Way, Watch the Song and Gear Breakdown of Nick DVirgilios Snake Oil Salesman. Ludwig hammered bronze 14x6,5high: 0:04medium: 0:16low: 0:26-----Ludwig Classic Maple 14x5high: 0:37medium: 0:48low: 0:58-----Tama Mastercraft steel 14. Combined scarcity and an unusual mix of warm power, articulate response, and textured tone make the 6.5"x14" a real treasure. Snare drum comparison video. Ludwig has been consistently innovating drums & percussion since the early 1900s. And I picked one of the most classic drum kits of all time to use on this song. 1970's Ludwig Supraphonic Snare Drum - Gearspace.com Both are great kits but there are differences. Ludwig is one of the most iconic drum brands and is the choice of many of the worlds greatest drummers both past and present. They are highly versatile drums and would suit any style of music whether it be jazz, pop, rock, blues, or funk. The shell is completely smooth, with a black chrome finish all over the brass. Der Link dient lediglich als Vorschlag zum Anschauen der Produkte.Impressum:Remise 3 Medienservice Agentur GmbHHans-Bckler-Platz 446535 DinslakenVertreten durch den Geschftsfhrer: Hansi TietgenAmtsgericht Duisburg, HR B NUMMER 19797 Telefon: +49(0)172/2863012Email: office(at)remise3.deUmsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer DE 256765312Inhaltlich verantwortlich nach 5 TMG: Hansi Tietgen And, for the snare, I used the Gretsch USA Bell Brass snare drum a super-versatile behemoth of a snare. Ludwig 8x14 Black Magic Snare Drum. Please check the fields highlighted in red. A roundover style bearing edge has a lot more head to shell contact which is why they have a warmer, mellower sound comparatively. Reflecting on the past, Mr. Ludwig said to me, "No one thought of vintage drums or collectors when we were making all of those drums back then. Nice and high and cracking over here on my high toms and big and fat and beefy on the floor tom. The drums that I chose for this track are TAMAs Star Maple drums. Ludwig 14"x6,5" Supralite - Thomann UK While Ludwig produced an enormous variety of snare drums, these selections remain in high esteem. A very important thing I needed to get right for this song was the snare sound, and I chose the Trick Titanium 6.5 x 14-inch. I chose the Yamaha Live Custom Hybrid Oak 24-inch kick drum for the deep, driving low-end pump. This suggests that a remnant of the finish had been found and used after Leedy had merged with Ludwig in 1950. 9 Snare drums.Snare Drum List:1) Ludwig LM400 - 1968 (Hughie Flint's snare drum)2) Ludwig LM402 - 75th Anniversary - 19843) Ludw. . As for the Jazz Festival model snare drum he played, no other snare in history has, as yet, achieved such a degree of celebrity-generated demand. Photo Note: we chose the photo on the right only to show the "Autograph of the Stars" finish. It has a lot of ring and an incredible mid-range projection that allows it to cut through the mix, without being too harsh. Typically hoops are either triple flanged, die-cast or wood with wood producing the warmest sound and die-cast the brightest. The big oak shell with an Evans EQ4 head gives a huge thump. I asked Jim Catalano who worked directly with William F. Ludwig II as the company's Director of Marketing from 1983-2013 why they stopped producing both brass snare drums models. ludwig snare drum lugs. To learn more about our cookie policy, please visit our Privacy Policy. Snares: What's the Difference? | World of Music The snare throw-off action is smooth and reliable. Compare the pitches of the drum head near each tension rod. Ludwig. Explore the guide below to look at some of the highlights from Ludwig's long lineage and find the best snare for you right here on Reverb. The link is only a suggestion to look at the products. Compare. Ludwig LAP22SS Atlas Pro Snare Stand. Rogers produced the Dyna-Sonic in both brass and wood shells. LUDWIG 14 x 5.5 Jazz Fest Snare Drum - Sky Blue Pearl Brass shells are often coated with nickel and chrome to give different variations of tone hence the terms chrome over brass. Currency: They go together really well. LM402 Supraphonic 6.5x14" Aluminum Snare Drum (27) Compare 46 from $429. Popularity skyrocketed in the 60's after the Ludwig logo appeared on Ringo Starr's Oyster Black Pearl kit, and a who's-who list of drummers have since used Ludwig. What an amazing opportunity to hear all these kits side by side, recorded exactly the same way. You cant help but to bop your head around to the beat. Big and round and loud they sound like theyre even bigger drums. If you want that little bit of detail, you can do that with the SQ2. In addition to his time at the board, he's been a contributing writer/editor for recording magazines such as EQ, ProSound News, Audio Media and Pro Audio Review since the '90s. the Black Magic is nickel over brass, as does the Black Beauty. bass drum replacement parts. A rougher grain is the reason for this and therefore it sits closer to maple in terms of warmth but has the mid range cut of Birch. Learn More. Beaded steel shell provides a bright, cutting attack with strong midrange overtones. Popular Products. 731 likes, 11 comments - Memphis Drum Shop/myCymbal.com (@memphisdrumshop) on Instagram: "Ludwig 14x6.5 Bronze Black Beauty Snare Drum: Fat on the low end, get everything you want from a . Aluminum Snare Comparison - [DFO] Drum Forum Memphis Drum Shop/myCymbal.com on Instagram: "Ludwig 14x6.5 Bronze Widely regarded as some of the best-sounding and most versatile drums around, you can be sure theyll make fantastic additions to your collection. Heres the list of the DPA microphones that were used to record the drums. It's always a topic of discussion. He also produced the world-renowned 3D Audio CDs, a series which allows listeners to compare mics, preamps, analog-to-digital converters, DAWs, and summing, giving them the ability to hear the differences in their own spaces. On the hoop of the kick drum in the front, you can pick the veneer you want for the inside of the hoop and the outside of the hoop. LUDWIG 14 x 5.5 Jazz Fest Snare Drum - Silver Sparkle With over 28,000 articles and counting, inSync is your FREE resource for breaking news, reviews, demos, interviews, and more. They laid out 212 endorser autographs in a geometric grid strewn with five-pointed white stars, then overlaid that design on a background of blue Pyralin plastic. Gretsch Broadkaster, Pearl Firecracker, Ludwig Jazz Festival. Product Description . Premier Olympic VS Ludwig Supraphonic Comparison - YouTube that sports a smooth, mirror-shine chrome finish. The consistent factor for all the kits is that the microphones, the lenses through which you hear all the kits, are exactly the same. Ludwig formed the drum shell from strips of rolled brass welded together in a vertical seam. Differences between Hanoi vs Ho Chi Minh city: Which to visit? I chose this Yamaha Live Custom Hybrid Oak kit because it is punchy, precise, and loud, but it has a nice roundness to it and just fits this track really well. Popular Products. Sonor Accent Studio. Ludwig. In 2017, after a long absence, the Rogers Drum Company re-opened its doors and is again producing this remarkable snare drum. By clicking Subscribe, I agree to receive exclusive offers & promotions, news & reviews, and personalized tips for buying and selling on Reverb. I think its a really fun way to make music groovy, putting those elements together. Ludwig Hammered Acrolite and Copperphonic Snare Drums review 56. Of all the outstanding vintage snare drums that exist, picking 10 that rise to the top wasn't easy. Every Ludwig Classic Maple snare drum begins life as seven plies of hand-selected North American maple. Joyful Noise Studio Line Bronze. By continuing to use Reverb, you agree to these updates, and to our cookie policy. Iconic Snares Acrylic, Bronze, & Copper Snares Budget-Friendly Snares. You can also connect with Ned for drum appraisal services through this page on his website. The Supraphonic snare drum was indeed the choice of the legendary John Bonham, and it can be heard on almost every Led Zeppelin record. Ludwig Black Beauty Vs Supraphonic Snare Drum Comparison I added a Ludwig hammered 8 x 14-inch brass snare drum with a Big Fat Snare Auto-Tone Snare Drum Topper to get that deep, thuddy, 70s snare sound. Learn More, We understand the importance of online privacy and are committed to complying with the EU General Data Protection Regulation. Ludwig formed the drum shell from strips of rolled brass welded together in a vertical seam. This Ludwig snare offers a very pleasing sound indeed. Due to the complex manufacturing process, the Ludwig Black Beauty snares are only produced in limited quantities each year from Ludwig USA. Shortly after its release in 1941 the finish disappeared from Leedy's catalogues then reappeared years later on the this drum with the Leedy/Ludwig badge. I went with typical sizes for the toms: 10, 12, 14, and 16 inches. 2023 World of Music All Rights Reserved. And then, theres the sound of the two floor toms played together. Having to choose between the Ludwig Black Beauty Vs Supraphonic. I am so honored that all of these amazing companies said yes to this project. The performance-proven shell hardware is stylish, functional, and robust. Rogers' iconic Dyna-Sonic was not only a milestone in drum innovation but is still one of the most sensitive snare drums in existence. I picked a really special drum kit for this song. By popular demand Ludwig presents the Legacy Mahogany Jazz Fest Snare Drums in even more Classic finishes. Please check the fields highlighted in red. Based on your location, we've changed your settings: Shipping Region: Lynn Fuston spent 37 years behind recording consoles in dozens of studios in Nashville, as well as doing remote recordings around the globe. There are many factors that affect the sonics of different types of snare drums: shell thickness, plies, hoops/rims, bearing edges, wires, grain configuration, head, tuning and size. All of these drums would not normally be put together, but that is what made it so special sounding. From the tweakiest techniques to the biggest ideas, our experts work hard to constantly supply inSync with a steady stream of helpful, in-depth demos, reviews, how-tos, news, and interviews.