And, like Philip, you can tell them, Come and see., Your email address will not be published. Sometimes our assumptions are about other people. He grew up in a town of ill repute, where a Roman military outpost accounted for moral corruption: Nazareth! John 1:45-49 John 1:35-51 Do you have a lot of programs? To save items to a SermonFolder, please sign in to your account. WHY would Nathan say that? Lutheran. Today's assigned passages are 2 Samuel 5:1-10; Psalm 48; 2 Corinthians 12:2-10 and Mark 6:1-13. -example - there may be a location within your community that has a bad reputation, not an ideal place to live, F. Nazareth was also an unimportant town, hidden away in the mountains of Galilee, surely the Messiah would not come from such an unlikely place, III. You fill in the blank. LUKE 18:35-43 "JESUS OF NAZARETH PASSETH BY" At Have you ever wondered that same thing about a place or a person or perhaps an entire group or race of persons? WebJ.R. Church Of God, A. John Chapter 1 gives us the beginning of Jesus ministry and calling of the disciples, B. Bethsaida can look down on Nazareth and therefore dismiss anything that comes out of there. 54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their .To bring forth greatness from people and places and circumstances we least expect it to come from! Whats Can anything good come out of Redeemer? Scriptures: read more, Scripture: WebA Picture of Biblical Discipleship ONE of the key things that must be at the forefront of our relationship with Jesus CHrist, has to be discipleship. Having trouble logging into your account? This is the 3rd sermon in the Light And Life series from the Gospel of John. Ive driven it in the summertime and in the John points to Jesus. GOD CAN BRING SOMETHING GOOD FROM THEIR LIFE. Its a product that has far outgrown its humble beginnings. Mountains of Northern Tennessee and Kentucky. Ive met him!. read more, Scripture: But he does emerge from the most humble of circumstances. If you were from Nazareth, you might hear that as quite an insult. B. During his earthly life, so far as we know, Jesus never self-identified as Jesus of Nazareth. Only rarely did his followers call When I got an opportunity to be part of this sermon series, this passage came to mind, where Nathanael says, Can anything good come out of that place, out of Nazareth? C. Nathanaels response is different from the others 2. Jesus began to teach them that He was the Messiah that was prophesied in John 1:35-51, Denomination: So for Philip to say, Weve found himthis is pretty big news. To start saving items to a SermonFolder, please create an account. -4 BC- Presbyterian/Reformed. and the rest of his brothers return to join the Israelites. How does God speak to us today? * In the O.T. Ive driven it in the summertime and in the Some are practical exchanges. Keep praying for them, witnessing to them, C. Dont forget where God brought you from. GOD BROUGHT SOMETHING GOOD OUT OF NAZARETH, A. WHERE DO YOU LIVE? You experience a very strange Theyre not sure if Hell listen or JOHN 1:35-46 (46) Can anything good come out of a messy divorce? read more, Scripture: I. Mountains of Northern Tennessee and Kentucky. He did not do any mighty works here where there was so much unbelief. How many people have lived in the Tri-Cities your whole life? Can anything good come out of NAZARETH? Some, perhaps most at the time, would say: No. But GOD says: Yes! Never heard of em. 1. As He called various ones they followed Him without question Luke 2:1-4, Denomination: Perhaps you have wondered that about yourself? B. Thomson. Most pastors, preachers, ministers etc. A week and a half ago I drove my mother back to Northern Kentucky. Nazareth is amazing or at least Jesus, the Nazarene, is. art thou come to destroy us? Christian Church, A sermon for the 2nd Sunday after the Epiphany preached at Our Saviours Lutheran Church, Audubon 1/18/09. He prophesied that Judah would eventually fall to the Babylonians, which came true in 586 BC, but he also made another rather obscure prophecy as well. Copyright 2003-2023 | Outreach, Inc., All rights reserved. This morning we are going to look at 5 of the Apostles that Jesus called to follow Him and how Jesus knew Men and women called to ministry all have wonderful testimonies of their callings and I love to hear them. She said, There was a time in my life when I needed a food pantry, and it was there for me.. Come and See! The circle is growing. [1] That's how most scholars have painted it. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. As long as Jesus is staying there, giving out his gifts, that is what counts. According to the story, John the Baptist is preaching. -AD 28- 1-demon spirits began to recognize Jesus of Nazareth - Mark 1:23-24 And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out, Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? Nazareth was just a little village with no history or anything to brag about. Way back in 750 BC, there was a prophet named Micah (a contemporary of Hosea and Isaiah, who lived during the reign of three Judean Kings Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah. To save items to a SermonFolder, please sign in to your account. To start saving items to a SermonFolder, please create an account. Some location YOU despise, or at least feel little affection for. What a goldmine for us to delve into. read more, Scripture: He was told to flee to Egypt and also that he would be told when it was safe to return. Capernaum was a thriving city with great wealth and potential. 2-sick people began to call on Jesus of Nazareth - Mark 10:47 And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me. John 1:43-51 Episcopal. Its a drive I have made many, many times. THEY COULD HAVE HAD JESUS Jesus actually sought out Philip and called him saying: follow me. Its a drive through the Cumberland It's time to meet "the one" who can truly fill us! God brought something good out of Nazareth - Jesus Christ, His own Son, the Savior, the Messiah, B. Jesus changed the reputation of Nazareth. Any version of Internet Explorer that is not the latest has been deprecated by Microsoft. Octavius ascended to undisputed supremacy in 31 BC and the Roman Senate declared him to be Romes first Emperor. But here is Philip, with no background or apparent interest or initiative in that regard. And the attitude behind the questions would be a rather dubious one. Brought up in a country bumpkin, off the radar town. Free Sermons and Sermon Outlines for Preaching : Nazareth- Can Anything Good Come From There, If The Preacher Is Dead, The Sermon Will Be Dead, Chasing The Dream, Preaching Greatness, And Knowing Your Audience. Why did Jesus choose the wedding at Cana for His first miracle. Can anything good come from there?" Enter your email address and we will send you a link to reset your password. We're glad you found us! Conversations. COPYRIGHT JOE LA RUE, 2009 Some place you think of as inferior or as having little significance. Sign up is easy and you can stop any time. They were extremely angry with Him. John 1:45-46 (NIV) Ive driven it in the summertime and in the wintertime. Can anything good come out of Nazareth? verse 46, Philip answered, Come and see. Verse 46. Unbelief is the only sin which God doesnt have a cure for. --It could be an ethnic slur. Denomination: A. read more, Scripture: Luke 4:14-31, Denomination: John 1:43-51, 52-week preaching calendar to help you plan your sermons, Customizable sermon manuscripts for verse-by-verse preaching, Preach with creativity and impact throughout the year, Help your church understand God's plan in pain, Call your people to experience a higher freedom, Proclaim the gospel to the ends of the earth. It all had to do with the word, Nazareth, B. Nazareth was a town of Galilee and Nathanael himself was a Galilean, C. Galilee was well known as a region that was behind the times, lacked culture, used crude language, D. Nazareth seemed to have had the worst reputation of any town in Galilee, evidenced by Nathanael, -the name Nazareth was not respectable, admirable, honorable. And the highest rate of suicide is among poor white men who live in rural areas. But is there more to its story? The bus was very comfortable and roomy. And they will live securely, for then his greatness will reach to the ends of the earth. There is little industry and a lot of poverty. We might become reluctant or even ashamed to speak up for, and invite people to, our church. Matthew 2:23 And we learn this about Philip: Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. So a couple of Philips homeboys, Andrew and Peter, had already heard the call, and now Philip is added to their number. Evangelism, Nazareth, Used By God, Calling, 52-week preaching calendar to help you plan your sermons, Customizable sermon manuscripts for verse-by-verse preaching, Preach with creativity and impact throughout the year, Help your church understand God's plan in pain, Call your people to experience a higher freedom, Proclaim the gospel to the ends of the earth. Its a drive I have made many, many times. What He says is true, always. THERE ARE A LOT OF "NAZARETH" PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. Each person was required by law to return to their ancestral home to register. Our mission is to inspire people to live for Jesus. Nazareth Hosea 11:1 says, When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son. Gods son was down in Egypt, but He cant stay there. Can anything good come out of a time of sickness? read more, Denomination: Can Anything Good Come from There? Can anything good come from there?" Try, If The Preacher Is Dead, The Sermon Will Be Dead, Chasing The Dream, Preaching Greatness, And Knowing Your Audience. Philip told him, "Come and see!" This verse shows how real the Bible is. We have found the Savior of the worldyour Savior too. Peter said that he did not know Jesus. GODS WAYS of doing things is not necessarily OUR way of doing things! WebJohn 1:43-51 Key Verses: Philip found Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wroteJesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." Series: Biblical Cities- Nazareth [#1] It plays off Nathaniels question in the text "Can anything good come out of Nazareth? Can Anything Good Come from Me? The answer is Christ. It was an angel that told Joseph of the danger to Jesus. Matthew 2:19-23, Denomination: More insights from your Bible study - Get Started with Logos Bible Software for Free! Harmony of the Gospels 44Philip, like Andrew and Peter, was from the town of Bethsaida. Webimmediately thought of Jesus backstory. They arrested Jesus of Nazareth and they crucified Jesus of Nazareth. And you see a lot more of the towns and counties in the wintertime because there are no leaves on the trees. C. Nathanaels response is different from the others That question gets asked once again, in the story, several years down the line. Philip answered, Come and see. Verse 46. Philip is being pleasantly persistent. Can anything good come out of Nazareth? Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. Huh? What A Word Is This? read more, Scripture: There are no references to it as having a role in the coming of the Messiah. It is a forgotten place whose citizens are folks that couldn't find an opportunity to leave. Same with us. Matthew 2:19-23, Luke 2:39. Jericho is about a thousand feet below sea level and Jerusalem is 2500 feet above sea level, so the climb is quite steep. John 1:43-49 Those may be the kinds of questions in the minds of the people we meet and talk to. GOD BROUGHT SOMETHING GOOD OUT OF NAZARETH. Galilean Jews would have been exposed to more Gentile populations living in the area, considered not such a good thing. Matthews? Theyre not sure If Hes the answer * In just a few hours, He will be sitting at the table of Mary, Martha & Lazarus. Series: Light And Life [#3] THERE ARE A LOT OF "NAZARETH" PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. Scripture: read more, Scripture: Can anything good come out of. Evangelical/Non-Denominational. Nathanael has some opinions, some assumptions, about Nazareth. WebSOMETHING GOOD CAME OUT OF NAZARETH JOHN 1:35-46 (46) I. John 1:43-51 vs 43. Because of his fame as a preacher and healer, the people of There were good things in Nazareth before Jesus ever got there, there are good things in the Galilee, there were already goods in the colonized, gentrified, exploited Church Of God. Soon after this encounter with Jesus, Greeks came to Philip wanting to know about Jesus. Scripture: Copyright 2003-2023 | Outreach, Inc., All rights reserved. Required fields are marked *. Denomination: The pure gospel of Jesus Christ in Word and Sacramentif its got that, thats the church you want to go to. Almost to emphasize the Nazareth part. This young woman's name is Mary. -Mark 2:17 They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. WebCan anything good come from there? Nathanael asked. read more, Scripture: Dont you mean somebody weve heard of, somebody famous, someone glorioussomeone, say, from Judea, from Jerusalem, from some place important? Finding Philip, he said to him, "Follow me." HUMOR He it is who wins your full forgiveness for all of your sins, everything that would keep you from knowing God and being at peace with him. Im here to tell you one thingGod does love you!!! Before and after Julius Caesars death in 44 BC, the Roman Government was constantly torn by power struggles. Having trouble logging into your account? * To return to Nazareth and was rejected. Nothing I read confirms this but neither does it disclaim or disprove this assumption. To me, that is a very smart thing to do. OF course, Jesus had no sin. Mark 6:1-13 The Power of an Invitation Philip found Nathanael and said to him, We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth. Windows 7 without Service Pack 1 has been deprecated by Microsoft. Can anything good come out of Nazareth? verse 46. The pastor replied, Yes, your grandmother can go to heaven if she dips snuff. God is a God of hope. Enter your email address and we will send you a link to reset your password. * It will not be long until He sits in the Upper Room! Jesus gave His life for "Nazareth" people. Jesus ministered to those on the margins, those who are forgotten; and we are called to do the same. A short talk given at an all-age baptism service. You get this only in and through the church. Isaiah 9:6-7, John 1:46, Denomination: The Prophet Micah writes in his book, chapter 5 verses 2-5: But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for Me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.. (14) From Egypt to Nazareth with Jesus On average, three human beings a day take their own lives in our state. People are asking the same question today. CH], Can Anything Good Come out of Nazareth? (John 1:43-51). Jesus left Nazareth to live in Capernaum. People are asking the same question today. Come with me and meet him at our church., Oh, what church is that? Uh, St. Matthew Lutheran Church in Bonne Terreor, Redeemer Lutheran Church in Potosi. Luthern? Just as today, many people identify others by their hometown. Jesus. John 1:43-46. Introduction read more, Scripture: Caesar Agustus issued this decree to number each nation by family and tribe. Can Anything Good Come from There? John 1:43-51 A week and a half ago I drove my mother back to Northern Kentucky. Masada He is going to be something one of these days, maybe even the President of the United States. Before he was governor of Georgia, would you have been overly impressed to meet a peanut farmer from Plains, Georgia? A. Baptist. But I think it applies to big congregations too, when they realize that what makes them great is not their size but their Savior. Can anything good come out of a devastating LOSS, loss of a loved one through death, loss of a job and the security that job provided? Matthew 13:53-58, Mark 6:1-6 This phraseCan anything good come out of?is found within the story of Jesus calling his first disciples, John chapter one. Scriptures: Try, If The Preacher Is Dead, The Sermon Will Be Dead, Chasing The Dream, Preaching Greatness, And Knowing Your Audience. Jesus came from Nazareth. This was a question asked of Jesus disciple Nathanael and Phillip said to him; Come and see. Nathanael was from Cana, another Galilean town just to the North of Nazareth. This talk focuses on the phrase 'Come and See'. He follows Jesus. For whatever reason, Nazareth, not only in the mind of Nathanael, but in the minds of many, would have been considered the absolute LAST place that anything good, or any ONE good, especially the long awaited MESSIAH, would come from! Philip finds his friend Nathanael and says to him, We have found him of whom Moses in the Law and also the prophets wrote. This is a Jewish way of saying, We have found the Messiah, the one prophesied in Scripture. Thats a pretty big deal. SOMETHING GOOD CAME OUT OF NAZARETH How many of you live in the same house you got married in? Through His Word, and through people He places in our lives.