It was a pleasure getting to know you through the process of planning your wedding. The house itself is wonderfully eclectic and the admission included an hour-long tour of the place, which was more friendly and informal than some such stuffy house tours can be. Unfortunately, Chinqua Penn Plantation is no longer there. It is such a shame t has fallen on such disrepair. We are a federally-recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit that works to preserve the history of South Carolinas historic, natural, and cultural landmarks before they are lost to time. But theres one place, in particular, where its evident in the ruins of an old plantation house near the Virginia border. Apparently the owners were quite the world travelers, and the different themes all around the house and grounds are fascinating (think Japanese chandeliers handing from Spanish ceiling beams over a status of the Buddha). Slave owners in 1850 and 1860 also include people from the low country of South Carolina who had summer estates in Flat Rock. They made our special day truly special. If you are planning a wedding in Savannah, look no further than The Mackey House. Houmas House Plantation allows visitors to experience life on a sugarcane plantation All of my friends and family are still talking about how beautiful and amazing our wedding was! Plantation grounds contain some of the most well-manicured gardens and grounds in the country. This venue moves you away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Savannah. The Whitney tour shows heart-wrenching devices including cages and chains, shining a spotlight on the conditions in which slaves survived. Whitney Plantation is the first U.S. museum dedicated to the history of slavery (nola.com). If you need help with the Public File, call (954) 364-2526. Mackey Plantation - Charleston County South Share with your guests to collect your wedding photos. Every time I enter the grounds I am amazed at the beauty of the place and the consistent professionalism of the staff. I did get out and walk around. Greensboro City Scavenger Hunt Excursion by 3Quest Challenge, Zombie Scavengers Game - Winston-Salem, NC, Fun City Scavenger Hunt in Raleigh by Wacky Walks, Unique Scavenger Hunt Experience in Greensboro by Wacky Walks, Greensboro City Scavenger Hunt Excursion by Operation City Quest. The house and grounds are exquisite. Many of the stately plantation homes have been restored and are available for tours. This picturesque plantation was named after the Houma people, a Native American civilization that inhabited New Orleans Plantation Country leading up to the 19th century (cdn.lov.gov). The grounds are stacked with historic buildings and moss-covered oaks playing up the antiquated atmosphere of the estate. All ages love the allure of these magnificent estates, making Plantation Country a top vacation destination year-round. and they even let me bring my dog!!! This venue has been doing events/weddings for a long time and they have it down to a T. Its just miles of peace and tranquility - very nice. Choose one or more of the following New Orleans plantations for an unforgettable trip. Mackey House Even into the 21st century, such Hollywood hits as Django Unchained (Evergreen Plantation), and 12 Years a Slave (Destrehan Plantation), were filmed in Plantation Country. It was listed on the National Register of 5.0. Love love love the Mackey house!! Dave was a great Director and DJ and I dont think we could have made it through without him. Orton Plantation It was our pleasure working with you! Welcome to The Mackey House, Savannahs premier choice for couples wishing to marry in the most magical, serene setting of the South. Established by the Mackey family in 1997, The Mackey House sits on 150 acres of pristine, private, lakeside land and features countless options for truly customized weddings. At Houmas House, visitors can tour the mansion and grounds, stay in the inn, enjoy Louisiana cuisine, and host one-of-a-kind weddings and events. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. My husband and I got married at The Mackey House September 2020 and it was a fairytale. 4. Hi Taylor, We're so happy to hear that your wedding day was everything you hoped for and thank you for allowing us to be a part of it. We worked with Dave and Shelley and they were so great and helpful throughout the entire experience. Of the 328 abandoned plantations in North Carolina, there are not many structures remaining. Why Take a New Orleans Plantation History Tour. Footer. Houmas House Estate and Gardens is the Crown Jewel of Louisiana's River Road! The house and large wrap-around deck are great spaces for your reception. In 1790, his great-grandson, Edward Lloyd IV, built the plantation house. Shelley & Dave are unbelievably responsive and knowledgeable during the planning process! Phasellus non ante ac dui sagittis volutpat. Abraham Kuykendall 5 5. Love North Carolina? Plants are re-planted as seasons change, maintaining vibrant grounds that will leave visitors in awe. Guides in period dress use the artifacts, furniture, artwork and stories of past owners to explain how this manor home grew into the grand estate it is today. Everyone was so nice and made sure everything was perfect and ran smoothly. Our wedding was a destination wedding simply due to my husband and I loving the romantic feel of Savannah, GA. From my first visit there, I knew it was everything I wanted in a wedding venue, from its long driveway through the trees, to its romantic southern charm. Only the real experience will speak for itself. Nicole is amazing at coordinating everything and Dave kicked butt as our DJ and wedding coordinator the day of. We wish you both many blessings! Both eye-opening and emotional, this River Road plantation features multiple museum exhibits, memorial artwork, and narratives written by the slaves themselves. Probably. From the bride and groom suites, to multiple ceremony, reception and dancing locations and natural beauty around every corner, you really felt like you were tucked away in your own fairytale for a day. Last but not least, a large gift shop is a perfect place for gifts ranging from souvenirs to cookbooks to high-end gifts and art. 5.0 out of 5 rating. Perciphul Campbell Plantation WebThe Mackey House is a Colonial mansion with antique decor, a deck that overlooks the entire venue, and a timeless beauty that unfolds before every guest. WebConsider getting hitched at this enchanting farm on Savannahs West Side. I took pictures didn't know if I could. We do suggest cool, comfortable clothes. The venue has a different decor packages, I went with the bare minimum that they offered and it was beautiful. This 150-acre property, previously the familys dairy farm, sets the stage for whats beautiful and wonderfulan idyllic, magical place for weddings and special occasions, catering to up to 250 guests. The Mackey House is a historic wedding venue in Savannah, Georgia. Please visit our, https://www.lauraplantation.com/discover/the-plantation, check out our blog highlighting the most popular plantations featured in film, Touring Houmas House and its beautiful gardens, Destrehan Plantation the closest plantation to New Orleans, visiting some of Louisianas incredible plantations, take a day trip from New Orleans to the magnificent Louisiana countryside, 10 Best Plantations in New Orleans for History Tours. The Mackey House | Georgia's Premier Wedding & Event Venue From the first email until the last the staff at the Mackey House were very responsive and helpful especially since we were planning everything through the phone, emails, etc. {Read Reviews & Book New Orleans Oak Alley Plantation Tours Online} 3. You can view many more abandoned plantation homes and historical buildings in this article about a photographer who made it her mission to capture as many abandoned homes in North Carolina on film. Guests can enjoy a tour of this historic site with a member of the family as they guide you through the mansion and surrounding areas. This venue is just stunning at every turn. Welcome to The Mackey House, Savannahs premier choice for couples wishing to marry in the most magical, serene setting of the South. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. Shelly, Laura, Dave and all of the crew know how to make a dream come true. Not able to even walk on the grounds unless you walk that the walking trail then you can see some of house from a distance. The Mackey family will guide you through everything you need for an extraordinary wedding day in a magical place. When my husband and I went to tour the property for the first time, it felt surreal. WebAudubon State Historic Site features Oakley House a plantation home where the famous naturalist John James Audubon once worked as a tutor. Types of Events Perciphul Campbell Plantation. Won the Couples' Choice Awards thanks to recommendations from couples on Weddingwire.com. I cannot express how amazing the Mackey House truly is! The plantation was owned by the Mackay family. Circa 1930 George Widener purchased Jenkins Plantation, Rocky Point Plantation, Lockwood Plantation, Bull Bluff Plantation and Mackay Point Plantation. He combined the properties into one large plantation and retained the Mackay name. He constructed a large mansion/hunting lodge ( 3, p. 145) ( 6 ). WebThe Mackey House and grounds adjoin Red Gate Farms a 400-acre southern plantation. Of the 328 plantations identified in North Carolina, there are still remains of a fair number of them. SANKOFA is an Akan word meaning go back and take.Good and useful things can be taken from the past to drive positive progress in the present through the benevolent use of knowledge. Directions. Some of the siding on the home is also missing, exposing what could be the original siding. Chinqua Penn Plantation (Reidsville) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go. We are so glad that you chose our venue and allowed us to help make your special day come to fruition. Brooke, thank you so much for your review! If the owner does not invest money in repairs its going to be unusable for any habitation. 10/10 would recommend. Orton Plantation 22,804 were here. I had been there many times but have not been there since I was told there is a walking, biking trail through the property. (912) 234-7404. Continue towards the massive home with views of extravagantly vibrant shrubbery and other-worldly cypress trees in the distance. There are plenty of places to stop and take it all in - even some spots that would be great for picnicking. Many of the incredible features of Oak Alley like the luxurious home, striking entrance, and hauntingly beautiful grounds, made the property the perfect setting for some of your favorite films and TV shows. https://south-carolina-plantations.com/jasper/mackays-point.html We are grateful that you chose our venue to celebrate your very special day. Top rated on-site restaurants including the fine dining Latils Landing, and the low-key Cafe Burnside only add to the reasons why Houmas House Plantation is definitely one of the top plantations to visit in New Orleans for history and more! WebThere were married on the most perfect Friday in February at The Mackey House in Savannah, GA! The Mackey House - Venue - Savannah, GA - WeddingWire The Destrehans sugar plantation was hugely successful and one of the contributing factors to Louisiana Statehood. Check out this years best local pros, chosen by couples like you. The Penn's who left this to NC State University would roll over in their graves if they knew what has happened to their prized most beautiful mansion. 5. 5.0 out of 5 rating , 133 Reviews, 5.0 out of 5 rating , 500 Reviews, 4.9 out of 5 rating , 167 Reviews, 4.9 out of 5 rating , 202 Reviews, 4.9 out of 5 rating , 122 Reviews, 4.9 out of 5 rating , 128 Reviews. Thank so much to all I have no words. If youre looking for a quick trip to Plantation Country from New Orleans, Destrehan is located only about 30 minutes from the city of New Orleans by automobile. The first person to arrive in the United States who bore the surname of MacKey was one John MacKey, who settled in the city of Boston in the year of 1651. This facility is a replica of the Mackey House, originally erected on the southwest corner of Greenwood Avenue and Easton Street. Mackey Point Plantation Riverhouse You can find great Cajun and creole recipe books online or in bookstores, or just head to the source and get it prepared fresh! Getting married is one of the most important occasions in your life and we're grateful that you allowed us to be a part of making it so special! If you love old historic homes there are also many previously restored plantation homes for sale as well. Tour the Gardens at your leisure, take a one hour guided tour of the Houmas Mansion, and enjoy lunch in Dixie Cafe for an additional fee. The staff is professional and they know weddings inside and out. Burnside Plantation House The team at The Mackey House made my wedding a special, unforgettable night for everyone! From my first time stepping on property for my tour they made me feel comfortable. All of my guests have been raving about how perfect it was, and particularly giving shoutouts to Dave! Antiques and artwork line the floors and walls of Plantation Country houses. If youre on the fence, just do ityou wont regret it! Mackey House I cannot thank the Mackey House enough! No, it was not an wedding, but it was a "fairy tale" gathering with people from all over the country who came in the name of love. I understand the Penn's held parties inside the windmill. The trail cuts through tree lined pastures, gentle sloping forests with babbling brooks, ponds, and even water features - albeit almost everything here has a purpose. OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. This grandiose mansion survived the Civil War, as well as several other historic events, but nevertheless still stands to this day! Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures with us! So a rating of one is given. You will not have a care or concern about your special day if they are involved. I stepped out of the box and had an event called, "Get On The Love Train" at the Mackey House. A family-owned colonial-style mansion located just minutes from downtown Savannah, this venue also features a pond, a well-manicured garden, and a shaded pavilion. Savannah, GA 31405 The house will amaze you with its French-Louisiana architecture when you visit it during your trip to New Orleans. Dave was our on site staff for the day of the wedding and let me tell you HE IS THE MAN!!! The Mackey House is a very elegant venue. About Us Aenean porta placerat efficitur. Leading up to the wedding, anytime we mentioned our venue to other potential vendors, they would gush about how much they loved The Mackey House and how amazing our wedding was going to be! This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. This close proximity makes Destrehan Plantation the closest plantation to New Orleans hotels, condos, airBNBs, and attractions. The Mackey House is nestled on a sweeping 125-acre property located under 10 minutes from Historic Downtown Savannah Georgia.. You can host your ceremony in the stunning garden surrounded by large ferns and tropical palms or on the banks of the sparkling lake while your guests gaze out at the beautiful countryside. This popular plantation is a big hit with travelers from across the globe. WinstonSalem Treasure Hunt:When Winston Met Salem! Dating back over 200 years, New Orleans plantation homes are designated historical landmarks by the U.S. government. Types of Events This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. You can almost hear them playing as you stare into this now-empty space. Everyone loved the Mackey House. Dave was great at overseeing everything and so nice (he even shared his cough drops with me cause I started to lose my voice). My daughter's wedding took place there this past weekend and everythingand I mean everythingwas PERFECT! Houmas House is a historic estate located near New Orleans in Darrow, Louisiana. Thank you Cynthia! Oakland Plantation. Many New Orleans plantations offer on-site dining. Laura Plantation is named after its owner, Laura Locoul, who lived to almost 100 years old! Some online commentary indicated there were plans in place to repair, if not restore this home. WebThe slave owners from 1800 to 1820 were among the first settlers into Henderson County. Missouri House passes two bills aiming to ban transgender athletes, Senate debates a third. Even with the rain, the Mackey house jumped into action and made our wedding the most perfect wedding of all time! I just got married here a week ago and it was awesome. 6. The windmill burned down but the footprint and fireplace were still there. Get more stories delivered right to your email. It was bought with the intentions to continue its grandness, among other personal reasons, but the new owner had to file bankruptcy and all furnishings, etc are gone. The flowers and plants seen on a Houmas House guided tour. You went above and beyond passed any expectations. Could not have asked for a better team to handle our wedding day. Its so beautiful. {Read Reviews & Book Laura Plantation Tours Online}, This photo of the oaks at Oak Alley Plantation was taken by a traveler - Read About Their Experience at Oak Alley. Robinson Rock Plantation UNC sold CPP to a private citizen, Calvin Phelps, CEO of Renegade Tobacco, in Mocksville. General questions and FAM tours: rjarvis@onlyinyourstate.com. Historical places abound in the state of North Carolina. Mackey Mackay Point Plantation Pocotaligo Jasper County WebAs of 1728, there were 91 plantation lots defined on Saint John, U.S. Virgin Islands. There are no longer any tours so a trip there would sadly be wasted. 10 Recent Images That Give A Rare Glimpse Inside A Centuries Old Abandoned Farm House In North Carolina, The Wildcat Falls Trail In North Carolina Leads You Straight To An Abandoned Bridge That Crosses The Waterfall, These Abandoned Places In North Carolina Are Chilling, Footage Of North Carolinas Abandoned Ghost Town In The Sky Will Take You Back In Time, Everyone In North Carolina Should See Whats Inside The Gates Of This Abandoned Theme Park, Theres A Hike In North Carolina That Leads You Straight To An Abandoned Crashed Plane, It Doesnt Get Much Creepier Than This Abandoned School Hidden In North Carolina, This Abandoned Speedway In North Carolina Once Hosted The Best Races In NASCAR History, Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides), Preservation North Carolina. Fred served in the Navy and spent many years in real estate. You can view many more abandoned plantation homes and historical buildings in this article about a photographer who made it her mission to capture as many abandoned homes in North Carolina on film. Heard to was foreclosed and all the artifacts were auctioned off. Those who bear the MacKey surname can be found in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Mississippi. Thank you Linda!