Coincidentally, Puths self-titled LP Charlie is set to arrive two weeks earlier, on Oct. 7. [21] Spin's Jason Gubbels stated that it is "a low-heat ode to high-heat passion, about as edgy as a Broadway revival cast recording and featuring one of the more dubious name-verbing exercises in contemporary pop" since Beyonc's "Partition" (2013). [youtube ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIQEIJSGJY8&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]. [57], Marc Klasfeld directed the music video for "Marvin Gaye", which was released on April 1, 2015. Meghan Trainor is a singer-songwriter who has been with the record label Epic Records since 2011. That's where the song comes in as a musical icebreaker. [66] On the other hand, Rolling Stone dubbed it one of the worst moments of the show, stating that the background dancers looked like "middle-school students allowed to stage a production of Grease without adult supervision" and calling the kiss a "forced 'moment'". While the "Me Too" singer looked back fondly on those two feats, the singer had a frown on her face when mentioning the high-profile kiss. [61] Puth stated that they "had to do it five times, different angles, different lighting" as people at the set kept moving lights around, but "the word 'awkward' never came to mind because Meghan's a very good kisser". messages at any time by emailing "It shook the nation and I'm still not over it," one fan commented, with another fan writing, "Little me was shook up when that happened." Dr. Trainor spun around in her chair, flashing a smile. "Meghan is my best friend," he explained, "We teased it in the video too where it like cuts off [before we kiss], and it's all a visual aesthetic for what the song is. Reveals He Was Most Nervous About Kamala Harris Jokes At WHCD: 'The Media Needs To Report On Her Sense Of Humor', Tom Cruise & Nicole Kidman's Son Connor, 28, Posts Rare Selfie: See Photo, Anitta: 5 Things About The Brazilian Singer Nominated For Best New Artist At The 2023 Grammys, Oprah's Favorite HexClad Cookware Is Having a Huge Mother's Day Sale & You Can Save Almost 50% on Their Best-Selling Set, What Is the STAR Interview Method? Were Charlie and Meghan just playing into their song, or are they clearly covering up a romance? [28] On the Canadian Hot 100, "Marvin Gaye" peaked at number 31 and was certified 3 Platinum by Music Canada. - The very worst songs of 2015", "American single certifications Charlie Puth Marvin Gaye", "Charlie Puth Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)", "Canadian single certifications Charlie Puth feat. It also turns out that last night wasn't the first time Charlie and Meghan locked lips. He graduated from Berklee College Of Music on a full scholarship. Meghan Trainor Says Her Husband Shaved Everything for Her While She Was Pregnant, Your Libra Tarot Horoscope for the Month Ahead, Jennifer Lopez's mind-blowing opening dance performance. Charlie Puth & Meghan Trainor Dating? The Truth Behind Their Steamy AMA [18] The same website's Mike Wass described the song as a "smooth anthem tune" with a "catchy" chorus, and called it a "natural fit" for Trainor. "When we hang out, it would be like buddies," she added. Meghan Trainor also remembered Grimmie while performing at the WBLI Summer Jam. Marvin Gaye (song) - Wikipedia Inside Meghan Trainor And Charlie Puth's Relationship Charlie Puth on Meghan Trainor AMAs Kiss: 'I Wanted It To Be a Quick Thing' One of the more surprising moments of the 2015 American Music Awards on Sunday night (Nov. 22) was the finale of. The performance ended with a kiss between the two, midway through which Puth grabbed Trainor's derrire and she placed her hands on his jaws. For songs by Marvin Gaye, see. "Marvin Gaye" has been performed at The Today Show and the 2015 American Music Awards. [9] Atlantic Records released a CD single for "Marvin Gaye" on September 18, 2015, with an alternate version of it by Puth featuring Wale as its B-side. [3] Pitchfork's Jia Tolentino commented that "Marvin Gaye" proves that Puth "lives for retro flourishes: doo-wop rhythms, sock-hop melodies, finger snaps [and] arpeggiated singalong piano".[16]. The first single from that album "Bad for Me" featuring Teddy Swims is out now. understand that I can opt-out at any time by emailing privacypolicy@wmg.com. [24] Gigwise included "Marvin Gaye" on their list, with Alexandra Pollard elaborating that it is "irritatingly catchy - but it's not even catchy", and went on to say that it is an unclever and "really stupid play on words". have checked the box above, I agree to receive such updates and messages I about CharliePuth based on my information, interests, activities, website visits and device Back in 2015, the two singers. Rocked everyone out of their seats!!" And why did he grab her butt?! "We're really great friends and that's never going to change. 2023 Billboard Media, LLC. "I don't know if he's going to be mad I said that," she told Seventeen in 2016 (via Entertainment Tonight). [5], Artist Partner Group released "Marvin Gaye" as the lead single from Puth's third EP, Some Type of Love (2015), on February 10, 2015. [31][32] The song was certified 2 Platinum by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI). He reiterated the same message in other interviews that night as well and it seems Meghan backed him up, posting a photo of the action and hashtagging #imsingle.. Yes, in front of everyone and for what felt like a very long time. Trainor's video comes years after she revealed that she shared a "drunk makeout" with Puth while recording the song. "All about that bass hitting #1 in 2014" and "winning a Grammy in 2016." wishes, or special discounts in Charlie's online store! Shortly after the release of their collaborative track "Marvin Gaye," speculation regarding Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor's relationship began to swirl. Almost seven years after that incident, Trainor has reflected on that time in her life, comparing the highs and lows of her early 20s. Meghan Trainor jumped on a popular TikTok trend Tuesday to look back at her rather regrettable choice to lock lips with Charlie Puthin 2015. [35][36] The song charted within the top 10 of national record charts, at number one in France,[37] Ireland,[38] Israel,[39] Scotland,[40] number two in Switzerland,[41] number three in Austria,[42] Poland,[43] Spain,[44] number four in Belgium (Wallonia),[45] number five in Slovenia,[46] number six in Italy,[47] and number nine in Iceland. Terms of Use Meghan Trainor recently poked fun at her 2015 American Music Awards performance where she shared a long and steamy kiss with fellow singer Charlie Puth. For starters, Charlie sweetly shut down the rumor mill just minutes after the AMAs wrapped. data and in accordance with the PrivacyPolicy. Would You Let Kim Officiate Your Wedding? [29][30], "Marvin Gaye" debuted at number 90 on the UK Singles Chart issued for August7, 2015, based only on streams. Related: ", "Y'all are so rude to this woman and I will never understand why," @melroxburgh said coming to Trainor's defense, "She legitimately just minds her business and joins in on trends.". Charlie Puth Got His Signature Scar From A Dreadful Accident Over a decade ago, Charlie Puth was an unknown teen who posted comedy videos and cover songs to his YouTube channel. The song finds Puth duetting with Meghan Trainor. Meghan Trainor Shades Charlie Puth While Reflecting on 2015 Kiss - Newsweek Meghan and Charlie 100 percent deep-kissed after their performance of "Marvin Gaye" onstage at the AMAs. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and Your California Privacy Rights. No word on whether the couple . [12] The doo-wop song includes lyrical references to several soul classics, and uses soul singer Marvin Gaye's name as a lyric and titular verb. So Who Is He? While fans were quick to ship Trainor and Puth together after their makeout session, the two shut down any relationship rumors in shortly following their onstage appearance. So happy to perform with Meghan tonight!! These days, Trainor is married to husband Daryl Sabara of Spy Kids fame and prepping the release of her fifth album Takin It Back on Oct. 21. [60] She uploaded a clip from behind the scenes of the video on her Instagram account, in which the singers kiss for a longer time. The pair were performing their collaborative song "Marvin Gaye" at the 2015 American Music Awards when Trainor seemingly decided to kiss Puth on national television. Billboard is a part of Penske Media Corporation. Meghan Trainor And Charlie Puth Had A Steamy Makeout Session - HuffPost "And that's what it felt like. [Refrain: Charlie Puth] Whoa-oh-oh-oh There's lovin' in your eyes that pulls me closer (Oh, it pulls me closer) It's so subtle (It's so subtle) I'm in trouble (I'm in trouble) But I'd love to be . After delivering a rather flirtatious performance, the two Grammy-nominated artists shocked fans when they took part in a passionate and long kiss. Meghan Trainor) Single", "Charlie Puth 'Marvin Gaye (feat. That's a big deal when the school's alumni have already bagged over . Meghan Trainor Comically Revisits Iconic Onstage Kiss with Charlie Puth [59] Trainor joins Puth on the stage during her verse and the two sing together. 14,214, 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor Kiss at the 2015 American - Glamour Los Angeles Times's Jessica Gelt wrote that it might be the most talked-about kiss at an award show since Britney Spears and Madonna kissed at the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards. Teen Vogue covers the latest in celebrity news, politics, fashion, beauty, wellness, lifestyle, and entertainment. Seven years later, Trainor has shared how she feels about the kiss using the popular "Hal Walker Plays the Banakulas" audio to look back at three milestones in her pop music career. Who is Charlie Puth? 6 things you need to know - CBS News ", The passionate kiss had people thinking the two were a couple at the time. Was it a stunt? Charlie Puth (@charlieputh) November 23, 2015 5. Fox says Parkinson's battle getting 'harder': 'I'm not gonna be 80', Kim Kardashian seemingly shades Kourtney's wedding in now-deleted caption amid feud, Prince Harry snubbed from coronation as William's role is revealed, Kendall Jenner rocks sheer top, fur mini skirt for date night with Bad Bunny, Padma Lakshmi claps back at trolls: 'I have boobs, I have nipples', Woman has 'loud and full body orgasm' during LA Philharmonic concert. Despite their AMAs performance kiss (uh, live makeout session) that would seem to indicate otherwise, Charlie Puth has been adamant that he and Meghan Trainor are just friends, and that hes not attracted to her in that way., Im a very aggressive maker-outer, Charlie told the the JohnJay & Rich Show, But Meghan is my friend, and I dont know, like, my natural boy instincts kinda just like kicked inI was like all nervous before, like how am I going to make this look real, because Im not attracted to her in that way. I understand that I can opt-out from I'll admit it: The moment was pretty confusing. The singer can never forget her performance at the 2015 American Music Awards. "Stop using Charlie Puth for clout challenge, Meghan Trainor" one fan tweeted while another warned Trainor to "Stay away from him" and told her "ur not even funny. "We were next to each other, recording a duet, and then I think I kissed him. Both the music video and latter performance end with the duo kissing. That's the question on everyone's mind following the duo's insanely hot (and, uh, very lengthy) make out, after they performed theirhit song "Marvin Gaye" at the 2015 American Music Awards on Nov. 22. Do Not Sell My Personal Information, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), Taylor Swift's Atlanta ticket prices are dropping big time. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/AMA2015/Getty Images for dcp), happy to [perform] with Meghan tonight! Back in the 2010s, music enthusiasts couldn't turn a radio station on without hearing a song from the talented Meghan Trainor and Charlie Puth. [3], "Marvin Gaye" received generally negative reviews from music critics. Meghan Trainor and Charlie Puth shocked fans with American Music Awards kiss Kevin Winter/Getty Images Shortly after the release of their collaborative track "Marvin Gaye," speculation. Charlie Puth on Meghan Trainor AMAs Kiss: 'I Wanted It To Be a - Fuse Charlie Puth has always been musically gifted and hella smart. Who Is Charlie Puth's Dating Partner? - CelebsHaunt Meghan Trainor Reflects On Kissing Charlie Puth At The 2015 AMAs [68] The song was included on the setlists for the MTrain Tour as well as Puth's Voicenotes Tour (2018). During that year's American Music Awards, Trainor performed her hit "Marvin Gaye" with Charlie Puth when the two decided to conclude their performance with a mini-makeout session.. ", Verified TikTok user Liv Pearsall called the moment a "cultural reset" while the the girl group Citizen Queen commented that all three events Trainor listed were "iconic moments in pop history. Marc Klasfeld directed its music video, which was released on April 1, 2015. Light Switch out now!Download/stream: https://charlieputh.lnk.to/LightSwitchIDText: (323) 524-9978Subscribe for more official content from Charlie Puth:https. Ad Choices, So, Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor Made Out at the 2015 American Music Awards. See Charlies full tweet below. There are so many questions to ask now: Are they dating? During an appearance on SiriusXM's The Howard Stern Show on Tuesday, the "Light Switch" singer revealed he has a special someone in his life. Train. While you might dream of kissing Charlie, apparently the whole experience was pretty awkward! !, another chimed in. Meghan Trainor was dating Charlie Puth, but they broke up in May 2017. Sitemap, Your California Privacy Rights "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Charlie Puth feat. You can even hear Meghan giggling while watching an outtake of their "Marvin Gaye" kiss on Instagram a full three months before their AMAs makeout: Although, for the record, their kiss didn't actually end up making it into the music video. To revisit this article, visit My Profile, thenView saved stories. It was the smooch that launched a thousand tweets. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Cond Nast. And ever. An 18-second sample of "Marvin Gaye", the song was Puth's attempt to contemporize "what Motown soul would sound like in 2015". . There doesn't seem to be any bad blood between the exes. Thanks for contacting us. Here's what we know about Meghan and Charlie's smooch! The two took to the stage to perform their singles, "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" and "Marvin Gaye." Now, if you are familiar with the latter, you'll know that the lyrics say, "let's Marvin Gaye and get it on," and well, the pair did just that . Meghan Trainor - Like I'm Gonna Lose You (Lyrics) / Charlie Puth - We Don't Talk AnymoreLyrics:What would I do without your smart mouthDrawing me in, and you.