How is r/10s different? Three Ways To Tell If Your Polyester Tennis Strings Are Dead Contrastingly, a player who isnt as powerful say your lower level club player, might benefit enormously from a low string tension. Statistically significant differences (p < 0.05) were observed when average peak acceleration at the elbow at 200 N string-tension (acceleration of 5.58 I have done the same tension reduction on Babolat RPM Blast. Tennis Elbow Hes also very wrist orientated and uses a full western grip, which lends itself to creating a finer ball contact. A more open pattern means that less strings impact the ball and that strings depending on their material composition can snap back more easily due to the larger space between them. Low tension creates a larger sweet spot and produces more power, but it also decreases the racquets ability to control the ball. This provides enough power and control while still allowing the ball to bite into the string bed for maximum spin potential. Keep the momentum going even if your therapy program is finished. String tension, gauge, and resiliency: Looser, thinner, and/or more resilient strings are definitely easier on your arm, as they stretch more and thus spread the force Once the Elasticity is gone, players compensate through their muscle which leads to inflammation in the elbow region. Related Posts: Some days you may be striking the ball very well, but for some reason the ball is just going a foot long. Im always looking for new ways to take my game to the next level. We establish a quantitative relationship between string-tension and elbow loading, analyzing tennis strokes using rackets with varying string-tensions. Hold tools with a looser grip; take some of the tension out of your. Tennis Only. Keeping your strings at peak performance levels will save stress on your arm. Each tension has its own benefits and drawbacks. The court, the player, the ball, the racquet- all of these factors play a role in how well the game is played. Best Overall Arm Friendly Strings for Tennis Elbow: Luxilon Hybrid It depends. Hi there! Are the mains strung at the higher number? Most pros are still in the range of 24-25 kg or 53-55 lbs for their polys. The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. 2023 Reddit, Inc. All rights reserved. Tips To Tame Tennis Elbow Does this hold true as a rule of thumb for all co-poly strings? Put one on for about 15 minutes at a time several times a day. Key benefits. Thank you for producing this video and educating the public! Generally, a string tension of Theycomeintocontactwiththetennisball,makingorbreakingyourperformanceonthecourt. Why am I having arm or tennis elbow problems? For example, a strong, powerful player wielding a sledgehammer of a racket would most likely choose a higher tension, rather than a low tension. If your elbow is not so severe that you can still play, I really recommend trying one of these things.if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[580,400],'tennisnerd_net-medrectangle-4','ezslot_3',153,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tennisnerd_net-medrectangle-4-0'); Wilson Clash Sports gear: If tennis really is at the root of your tennis elbow, a stiffer racquet with looser strings may help once youre up for some light playing again. Yes Reducing tension can definitely help with tennis elbow. Is a tennis elbow really recommended for 45 A downside to stringing really high is youre going to lose a lot of the strings elastic qualities. Shoes, Looking for the best hard court tennis shoes? Getting the best tennis shoes that fit your feet perfectly is a crucial part of making the most of your tennis game.. Talk with your doctor or physical therapist about whether you should use one and the right kind of forearm brace for you. If your injury actually came from tennis or another racquet sport, try a different kind of sport thats not as tough on your elbow until you get better. They already have a lot of their own natural power, so an additional boost in power by lowering the tension and thus the strings elastic trampoline effect would likely send the ball over the back fence! No more frustration in your game, due to your equipment failing you! Always factor in your racket when deciding a string tension. Do you have any experiences around tennis elbow? The way they are constructed lead to an increased touch and feel. On a very cold day, players will use a lower tension than usual in order to compensate for the drop in ball velocity. So looks like I have tennis elbow - need to get officially diagnosed but can't see what else it could be. Stringing your racket at a low tension will give you: Before settling on a string tension, its vital to consider what you are looking for in your game and how you want your racket to perform accordingly. What is the difference between multifilament and poly strings? RIP Control is my multi of choice and it hits with the most inherent spin for any multi I've played. After changing to 1.15 gauge, no more elbow issues (hyper-g in PureAero VS at 50/48 lbs). It is measured in pounds and ranges from around 40 to 70 pounds. Take care. Traditionally monofilament strings offer benefits to control and durability. In the video I use, For more control, add a softer poly to make it into a, For more spin, use a polyester string, but string it at a low tension. FAQs About Stringing Your Tennis Racquet By David Henry on Apr 26, 2012 with Comments 23. (Explained), Are Tennis shoes good for Sliding? This is the OTHER tennis subreddit where we have a lot of fun and don't take ourselves too seriously. I am starting to suffer a bit from soreness in my right arm. Some ways to ease the pain include: Over-the-counter pain relievers:Ibuprofenand naproxen can ease mild to moderate pain. Table of Contents. Natural gut and nylon strings are the best for tennis elbow because they are the most comfortable, soft and shock-free. Poor levels of comfort almost always go hand in hand with injuries, so unless you have wrists of steel and are appropriately physically conditioned, carefully consider whether stringing high with a polyester string is the way to go for you. Weve put the best shoes to the test to find out which ones give you maximum performance on hard courts. Also, give your elbow a break. Finding the sweet spot is key! Source: Shoulder Elbow - Racquet string tension directly affects force experienced at the elbow: implications for the development of lateral epicondylitis in tennis players ALSO READ: De Minaur: Rafael Nadal is like the king in Spain, Mutua Madrid Open: Iga Swiatek's brisk triumph sees her enter pre-quarters, Naomi Osaka vs FTX: This is how the $11 billion fight is going, Coco Gauff trolls Elon Musk, but comes criticisms: "I don't even pay for NETFLIX", Iga Swiatek: "Modern tennis is like Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal do", Ekaterina Alexandrova makes deeply honest admission ahead of Iga Swiatek match, Davidovich Fokina trolls Holger Rune: "Thanks, crowd was on my side! String tension is the pressure at which the strings are secured to the rackets frame and is performed in either lbs or kg. And you can still serve and volley. Wouldnt a string like that help mute many of the multiple negatives of poly that have been discussed in these blogs? Weve taken an in-depth look at Zverevs racket to see what hes using it and how it has contributed to his consistent brilliance. You may need to try different tensions on different days, depending on how your elbow feels that day. Tennis Elbow, also known as lateral epicondylitis, is an overuse injury of the muscles and tendons of the elbow and forearm. My name is Michael and Im a big fan of the sport of tennis. These materials have improved the playability of any kind of string made in the past decades. Stringing light, stiff rackets with poly are rough on the arm. For instance, the most popular string on and off tour today is the co-polyester string. Obviously, that worked for Pete, so you would never change what he did. cobrind Thanks for the comment much appreciated. Del Potro wants his balls to land in the court; not burning a hole through the back fence without bouncing! Finding the right string tension, as well as the right racquet size, weight, strings and grip size for the individual player, can help to reduce the risk of tennis elbow and improve performance. Rafael seems to have found the right balance for himself, as he has been one of the most successful professional golfers in history. The best string tension for topspin is around 50-60 pounds (23-27 kg). The APDGT is a fairly stiff racket coming in at between 70-72 on what I've seen from RDC machines. Selecting Tennis Strings Ultimately, the best tension for a tennis racquet depends on the players individual preferences and playing style. Some people may also need physical therapy or surgery. Not only was the gut a poor choice of string for the racket and my game, the racket itself is an absolute rocket launcher. Conclusions. David, great to see a new post. A good recommended tension for a natural gut or multifilament string would be between 55-62lbs. When I first switched to Lux, I dropped the tension to 62. Players with injury problems in the wrists and arms should avoid high tensions and instead look to string their rackets lower. Having several rackets strung (8-12 for pros) at various tensions ensures they have the right setup for the conditions they face that day. If you find that your strings are breaking too frequently, you may want to increase the tension slightly. Generally, natural gut strings provide the most power and control, while synthetic strings provide less power and control but are less likely to cause injury. I absolutely hate playing with tennis balls that arent fresh:) I am not sure how hitting across the ball (I assume you mean brushing over it with a topspin-producing stroke) can really help unless the argument is that there is less impact and shock/vibration on the elbow. This juxtaposition of conflicting forces creates a visual drama that can be quite compelling. That's how physics works. Equipment Advice Tensions have dropped over the years with the introduction of poly strings and the average string tension is likely to keep dropping a bit more. In a match play scenario, suddenly a ball that landed 10cm in previously before the tension loss would no land 10cm out. Ive provided you with some useful guidelines to follow when you come to getting your racket strung next time, but there are always those who dont fit the mould. Reducing string-tension should be considered favorably with respect to reducing the risk of developing LE." If you're looking to get the most out of your racket setup, then let thetennisbros.com do the hard work for you! Tension What is the best tennis string tension? If they are too loose, his shots will not have enough power. I remember earlier in my tennis development where I was obsessed with creating as much power as possible and ended up putting natural gut in a Babolat Pure Drive Tour Plus at 46lbs! Ask your boss for other tasks you can do while your elbow heals. Generally, a string tension of between 45 and 55 pounds is recommended for those looking to reduce their risk of tennis elbow.