This will also be considered imitation, thus Haram (unlawful). If even one candle was left lighted, people used to think that the upcoming year would bring hardships for the person whose birthday is being celebrated. I agree that it is not part of the religion. As adopted it indicated its pagan origin by the names of the monthscalled after Janus, Maia, Juno, etc. Before understanding the legal ruling (hukm) with regards to birthday celebrations, it is worth remembering here that imitation of the unbelievers (Kuffar) is something that Islam strictly disapproves of. Thus, if birthdays are celebrated by adopting the above-mentioned customs, it will not be permissible. For the CUSTOMS OF THE PEOPLE ARE VAIN (Jeremiah 10:1-3). such a repressed religion. Think logically first. The ancient Babylonians were celebrating the birth of Baal-Berith (man-God) on this day already. (She did so after generously offering to donate her brothers toys We have changed the chorus of the traditional birthday song so it now says May Allah Bless you, May Allah Bless you, May Allah bless you-oo, May Allah Bless you.. Oddly enough for his weekdays he chose pagan names which are still used (Journal of Calendar Reform, Sept. 1953, p. 128). Around the world, friends and relatives hold birthday parties, give gifts to the one being honored, and wish Happy birthday! to the one whose birthday is being celebrated. This is accomplished by organizing a large celebration to which everyone is required to attend. The birth of Jesus pbuh is understood by Muslims as being similar to the creation of Adam- without a father. Prohibition of Making Love during Menses: Why? Muslims do not celebrate Christmas like Christians. in Islam. The reason why nothing can tear me apart from Christ is because i interact with Him on a personal level. Sunan Abi Dawud 4031;Book 34, Hadith 12. My mother..just called me and told me, what are we going to do for Rs birthday? For in this we GROAN, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is FROM HEAVEN. Also it is the mother who carried the chold fr 9 months gave birth to her which in it self is incredibly painful thing. When he saw other people having different kinds of celebrations, he said himself that we have two celebrations. The idea of putting candles on birthday cakes goes back to ancient Greece. Birthdays are the one day that is devoted to one particular child, to show them how they are loved and appreciated and special. And thats how birthday parties began. Islam teaches Muslim to have a unique character and to be distinguished. There is no such thing as a birthday party in Islam, and it is a non-Islamic custom. Im muslim, I celebrate all my childrens birthday. Its the equivalent of telling someone youre well-dressed. What about birthday thumps, bumps, pinches, and the like? no one in your family will think that you are cheep In ancient Greece, wealthy males joined birthday clubs composed exclusively of men who shared their birth date. If the origins of birthday celebrations are connected to a particular faith, then there is no doubt in its impermissibility. The typical birthday party is therefore one of the deceptions of the devil, made to look attractive and nice on the outside, but full of wickedness on the inside. And what concord hath Christ with Belial? The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: Whoever imitates a people is one of them.(/font>. Birthdays are forbidden in Islam because they promote paganism. There are no celebrations in Islam apart from the three prescribed Eids: Eid al-Fitr, Eid al-Adha, and the weekly Eid which is Friday (Yawm al-Jumuah). This is why a Muslims appearance and attire can be used to identify them wherever. We are new to this masjid and I didnt realize that this was a major faux pas. What About New Testament Times? Log in, Join our e-mail list for regular site news and updates, All Rights Reserved for Islam Q&A 1997-2023. The Prophet Sallalahu Alayhi wa Sallam said: Taking omens is polytheism; taking omens is polytheism. In ancient times, people prayed over the flames of an open fire. One of the oldest birthday games is Pin-the-Tail-on-the-Donkey. An acknowledgment of the day you were blessed with a child, a day for remembering that god was willing to allow you to become a parent!? Self, self, self! Last year, we did because it was his FIRST birthday, but we dont want to make a habit out of this. My mom obviously got upset, and said that since my husband and I are working on Sunday (my mom babysits our son) that she is going to throw him a little birthday party. So now, tell me when is your birthday? Those who are using too much fundamentalist rules and principles should realize that *using the internet is an imitation of the unbelievers* in itself. Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa (protectors, helpers, etc.) only because i dont want my family to think im being cheep. Birthdays are forbidden . However, some scholars believe that since there is no clear evidence, it is best to avoid celebrating the Prophets birthday. Obviously, therefore, the Word of God does NOT sanction or approve of public birthday celebrations or birthday parties! (See: Fatawa al-Rahimiyya (urdu), 6/320), [Mufti] Muhammad ibn Adam Allah is all knowing and Gracious. But I think some people may convert without really understanding all of a religion. Say that may Allah SWT reward his most kind behaviour and treatment to you in the afterlife. Believe me I am no saint and I stumble often. 15 Reasons why a Muslim MUST NOT celebrate a Christmas 25th of December was chosen by Emperor Constantine of Rome & not by the Almighty God as the birth of Christ Jesus Only Allah knows the day. Here again, at a pagan birthday party, somebody was killed this time it was one of Gods greatest servants, John the Baptizer! ITS not about what the message did its also about what he didnt do. Clearly, Almighty God commands His people not to follow in the ways, customs, and practices of the heathen, pagan nations around them! Salam all ! Is Ghusl a Specific Way of Taking a Shower? Isolating you, ignoring you, threatening you, disrespecting you in front of your kids just to prove what point? All the comparisons, who gets the best present, competition, and strife that inevitably follows? We talk about God everyday. Yes that is in the history of Islam when the Prophet (saw) told the people of Madinah that Allah has bless us with two celebrations of our own. It isnt about being true to ourselves. Keep Gods principles in mind. Commoners apparently would only celebrate . Party snappers, horns and other noisemakers were also intended to scare off bad-luck spirits. And we are human and will never be perfect. Is It Haram To Celebrate Thanksgiving? If you want to celebrate then go ahead and do that. But dating birthdays back to the greeks and germans is no efficient way of proving Birthdays a pagan celebration, You SHOULD all ways stick to the quran hadith but Im not judging u I was like u, this is a good one: Consistency is vital. Remember: The beauty of Islam is its a universal religion, the haraam being very few and halaal and mustahab and mubah being the majority making the deen very easy and giving its iniversal appeal. Celebration of the day when person come to the earth to be tested and assessed. My daughter recently turned 4 my friend made a castle cake for her and brought it up the day before her birthday so I didnt think a cke then would be an issue! The evidence for that is the fact that the Lawgiver prescribed aqeeqah for the newborn, and did not prescribe anything after that. And he restored the chief butler unto his butlership again; and he gave the cup into Pharaohs hand: but he hanged the chief baker: as Joseph had interpreted to them (Genesis 40:20-22). It builds confidence, trust and self-esteem. (Answer With Reason)Continue, Its that time of year again when people worldwide are getting ready to celebrate the, Read More Is It Haram To Celebrate New Years Eve Or Day?Continue, The Muslim community in America is growing every year. The book The Lore of Birthdays, by Ralph and Adelin Linton, gives a brief look at the history of birthday celebrations: The Greeks believed that everyone had a protective spirit or daemon who attended his birth and watched over him in life. Anything that is positive and beautiful can not be forbidden by any religion. As David wrote, Many are the afflictions of the righteous (Psalms 34:19). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad) gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) [al-Hashr 59:7]. I will just mention two: For guidelines regarding imitating the non-believers, please visit the following link: When asked about the reason for birthday celebrations, most of the people come up with this, , , I want to thank Allah for the life He gave me, thats why I want to throw a party and thank Allah. H, old on, hold on! There is no clear-cut answer to this question as scholars have different opinions on this matter. Egyptians observed birthdays, but only for their rulers. And why does it matters for every Muslim? They turn people away from the truths of God and idolize the SELF. Its something we decided ourselves. Well, to answer this question, we will have to look into Islamic teachings. In a Hadith recorded by Imam Abu Dawud (Allah have Mercy on him) and others, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: Whosoever imitates a nation is amongst them. (Sunan Abu Dawud). In ancient Rome, the emperor gave huge parties in honor of his own birthday, which included parades, circuses, and gladiatorial combat. Even to this day, men have been putting their trust in horoscopes instead of God. I thought if something is not forbidden by either Quran or Sunnah then it is allowed. Is it wrong to celebrate the day of ones birth? Some Muslims celebrate birthdays as a habit rather than a form of gratitude because the Prophet or the Sahaba did not celebrate birthdays according to Islamic traditions. [Al-Maidah; 5:48]. Remember this hadeeth? Besides being bidah and having no basis in shareeah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. They also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. You cant wake up and say, Islam needs to be adjusted, because youre already a modified Muslim if thats the case. If you do research, its of PAGAN orgins and sinful torwards The Almighty. So, according to these scholars, celebrating birthdays is not haram as there is no clear guidance from Quran and Sunnah on this matter. In that case, there is no reason why you shouldnt attend a birthday party until and unless there is no music, dancing, or other activities that are considered haram in Islam. Thus, calling birthdays `eids is not accepted, for this has no basis My whole family are Muslims and we prefer moderation. Love all x. one day we will die, so why we celebrate the birthday. Birthdays are celebration of life,which God has blessed you with. If a family member or relative has a birthday, and invites you, you can simply explain the situation, and your own beliefs, in a humble, positive manner. It is important that we celebrate the life of a child. Now I do not intend to mean that you start celebrating your birthday according to the Hijri date. It is illogical. Birthdays have the opposite effect. Let now the ASTROLOGERS, the star-gazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee. If you have no proofs that the prophet did or didnt do something thats doubt and we as Muslims are supposed to leave off what brings doubt just to be on the safe side and Allah knows best . However, this doesn't mean that celebrating a birthday is Haram. Why the Six Days of Shawwal are Called White Days, Making Up for the Missed Fast Days Before the Next Ramadan, Making up for Missed Fasting Days in Shawwal, Masturbating in order to avoid zina (fornication), Death Penalty as a Punishment for Espionage. The Greeks celebrated her birthday once each month by bringing special cakes to her temple. Solomon also wrote, Do not be too righteous, and do not act too wise; why should you destroy yourself? In Islam, birthday greetings. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds -Emerson. They are simply a family event. What is the evidence on celebrating birthdays? A Muslim is weaned on morality and avoiding blind imitation. Would you jump out of the airplane without a life support just becoz Quran or Bible or any religous book does not mention anything about it. We have already seen the proof that these celebrations were distinctly pagan in origin. The Word of God thunders, What fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? . 4) Parents under pressure to make it special only becoz one of the relative or neighbour had a grand celebration and you dont want your child to feel any less special. Here are six reasons why Muslims - and Christians - should not celebrate Christmas, religiously or culturally. THING. Those Muslims that have already begun celebrating birthdays, have started the trend often due to their effort to bridge cultural differences or to relieve pressure of cultural differences. The sister who said she didnt celebrate but had to go to relatives for partys just be strong and explain to them why you dont celebrate . A birthday is a time when many people forget that they have many things to be thankful for while a lot of people are in hospitals, dying, sick and even dead. Xxx, http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34721, ask the scholars why we shouldnt celebrate our birthdays. Tell me is thanking Allah from the acts of worship, ? What about following all of the prophets. With its, Read More Is It Haram To Celebrate Easter? Its called the Hijri calendar. . How can one follow something one has never hear of before. Who wrote all this and why are you very sure its authentic? Internet William F. Dankenbring But I also have never read a sunnah where he forbade it. In this case, of course, the unknown is the future, or the new year of life that lies ahead for the birthday child. The Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) is the guide for us. If it is not against the Quran, it is ok. Even as there is only one example of birthday celebrations in the Old Testament, so the New Testament also gives us only one such example that of the wicked, apostate king Herod, one of the worst butchers who ever lived. Warning us against following their ways and traditions, The Prophet (SAWS) said, Yet people celebrate the child. Alhumdolillahbut i get invited to family bday bbqs now and then,,everyone takes gifts and i dont because i dont want to be involved w the bday part..i feel dumb being the only one not taking a gift..my q is that would it b haraam to give bday gifts,? To add another eid be it birthdays or anniversary are as to say to Allah we need more eids which is insulting Allah. This is preservation of your own Deen. It is actually one of the most controversial questions in islam Not every scholar says No and not every scholar says yes this is because of some are influenced by culture and some are not, because scholars are still human beings. We need to be alarmed and never allow Western traditions that are based on individualism, to ruin our families. Dont allow other people to interpret the religion for you, read the Quran and be a better muslim. Its roots may have been pagan but it doesnt involve devil worshipping today. 2. Instead I encourage my daughter to Thank Allah for all of her gifts and explain that every good thing that comes to her, comes by the Mercy of Allah. The main reason why some scholars say that it is allowed to celebrate birthdays is because there is no clear prohibition from Quran and Sunnah on this matter. Required fields are marked *. The reason for birthday spanks is to spank away any evil spirits and send them scurrying far into the distance. Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays because we believe that such celebrations displease God. Still, everyone tends to dismiss the history as mumbo-jumbo, and even the ones who are drowning to the eyeballs in birthstone jewelry and have zodiac signs tattooed on their scalps will never confess that they take this seriously. Firstly, apologies for the late reply to your question. I know Im late replying to this but please be strong. They are the most knowledgeable of the people concerning his Sunnah (Teachings of the Prophet) and they are the most beloved to the Prophet (peace be upon him). Thus paying homage to the birthday child. i stopped celebrating bdays lastyear. Muslims dont celebrate birthdays because every it is a decrease in your life,thats not happy to know is it? You say follow these things. I think it is very negative and very religious to view Birthdays as a decrease in someones life. Birthday parties are prohibited in Islam since they encourage pagan beliefs. My question , if anything added to islam after the prophet is bida, than I cant find any occasion where the prophet did namaz Taraweh . In this world today where so many children are being aborted, dropped of at safe haven locations, and murdered by parents why shouldnt we celebrate their lives. Just be sure you dont allow it to become a pagan birthday party or birthday celebration of the sort which has wrong connotations and creates the wrong atmosphere and imparts the wrong kind of influence. Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning): Or have they partners with Allah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allah has not allowed? [Al-Shura 42:21], Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. I don't eat shellfish, but I am not against the idea of the consumption of shellfish. We read in the Encyclopedia Judaica, The celebration of birthdays is unknown in traditional Jewish ritual (vol.4, p.1054). Our hope is for the coming of Christ, and the resurrection! 1) If it is celebrated by adopting acts that are unlawful in Islam, then there is no doubt in its impermissibility. I did a blog post exactly why I hope you enjoy reading it http://al-muallim.weebly.com/1/post/2013/11/birthdays-in-islam-are-birthdays-allowed-in-islam.html. For a scholarly response regarding the topic above, please visit:https://islamqa.info/en/1027. Celebrate the life of a child. The pagans do but not true Christians or followers of the Messiah, who seek His blessing on their activities! For many some holidays are religious. Join Now to Get 2 FREE trial classeslearn Quran online. Youre missing the main point. We ask Allaah to guide us all to the Straight Path. Obviously, the answer from the Word of God is a resounding NO! 716686. Its called being nice and being a friend. Although we dont want to compromise the word of God, or ever do anything He tells us to avoid, that does not mean we need to offend other people, or set a wrong example toward them. Islam does not celebrate birthdays because the prophet Muhammad did not celebrate his own birthday. Are There Descendants of The Prophet Muhammad Today? It is haram to raise any persons birthday to the status of holiday because holidays in Islam are reserved for Allah(SWT) alone. However, the preponderant opinion is that it is better to avoid celebrating birthdays as there is no clear guidance from Quran and Sunnah on this matter. Jesus Christ was born nowhere near December 25th, in the dead of winter. barakaLlahu fiih. Easter is one of the most widely celebrated Christian holidays in the world. then that makes you all peadophiles ur beliefs are twisted its just a bloody birthday GEt over it and celebrate LIFE!!!!! Actually I view birthdays purely as a acknowledgment to Allah for his wonderful presence in my childs life. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Therefore, celebrate as you like. He truly comes when you believe he is gods only begotten son the holy spirit at conversion conviction and you will be changed in an instant quicker than the blink of an eye. There are so many different ways to celebrate, invite yoyr friends and family, Pray together, listen to the word of God, listen to Godly jokes, laugh together, play games as long as they are not ungodly. This was Pauls one ambition, one driving desire, in life. You ppl are seriously discussing the morality of birthdays. Why Do Some Scholars Say It Is Not Allowed To Celebrate Birthdays? The Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) warned us about the things which are in doubt. The Roman calendar, with its emphasis on continual celebration, has had great influence on modern society. I blessing of a child is the greatest blessing from Allah. But JAnnah is the goal of a good muslim, This is what most anti-Islam people dont realise. If you do a thorough research on Birthday cakes, youll come to realize Its deeply rooted from Paganism and is probably why hes acting this way. Even though they may hurt a little, they are said to be very lucky. Avoid using the bible to support your personal beliefs that are not clearly stated in the bible some things should be left to the holy spirit. Every day is a great day and a blessing from Allah (swt) 5 Reasons Why a Muslim Should Not Celebrate Birthdays Why Muslims Don't Celebrate Birthdays? - Islam for Muslims - Nigeria Keith Pitt, t he Nationals . I am not slating anyone who chooses any religion at all (each to their own!) All can have this. Muslims however are different from Christians in our mandate. Being a Muslim, there are many things that we have to follow. have it rejected. (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). So, when Muslims started celebrating birthdays, it was seen as a continuation of pagan practices. Whereas others argue that since the Prophet himself never forbade the practice, it is permissible. People should follow the teachings of their prophets and take the time for reflection, rather than make their birthdays' occasion for merriment and enjoyment. There are numerous ahadeeth in which the prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam prohibited imitating the non-believers. In Persia, noblemen observed their birthdays by barbecuing an ox, a camel and a donkey and serving hundreds of small cakes to the celebrants. The adults in my family dont really celebrate their b day. As long as you and your family pray to no other but Allah SWT and live your lives as good people, do what feels right in your heart. Because we have to take EVERY. This article was very useful for me in my presentation, Your email address will not be published. . Hamdoulilleh that you married a man who actually understands his religion, knows right from wrong, and is willing to stand against society and familys expectations to ensure that YOU attain Jannah! I converted about 3 yrs ago and have had similar difficulties and mixed feelings about giving up these cultural customs, too. But I wont say that its Haram because if I did that, that might be too far. Views : Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allah (if He wants to punish you). So, when a person had a birthday, friends and relatives gathered to protect him or her. If not, then why are we in 2016? We muslims are losing our faith to imams, peers and fakirs. Allah the Almighty is very clear about this. Muslims are being duped into believing that if they turn one year older, they must celebrate it. On the other hand they celebrate The prophet Mohammed birthday. Religious Festivals Muslims have two celebrations each year, 'Eid al-Fitr and 'Eid al-Adha. that was made by the religion of Christianity currently the religion practiced by the majority of people on Earth. It is full of pain and suffering. All the other muslim ladies I know, have done b-day parties. The Command of God.