I always thought, man, Marchand's talent and ability, he could do that easily. Derek Sanderson co-authored his first autobiography when he was 24. The Complete World Hockey Association - Players - Derek It wasn't Turk, it was Derek and it was Phil. Calgary Flames fire head coach Darryl Sutter, Panthers restricting ticket sales for series against Maple Leafs to U.S. residents, Playoff Takeaways: Tkachuk, Panthers stun Bruins, face new challenge in Maple Leafs, Bruins blew a 3-1 lead: Hockey world reacts to Panthers historic win over Boston, Cheveldayoffs words fall flat due to lack of accountability, plan for Jets future. They always had talent. Phil said, 'Geez, where we going?' The film's director Doug Atchison last directed Akeelah and the Bee and Class Act. Never. It was over pretty quickly and Bobby took a chance along the wall, said Sanderson. He was eventually able to get sober in the mid-1980s. WebNow, it looks like his life story is one step closer to the big screen. It wasn't long before Westfall and Sanderson emerged as the most accomplished penalty-killing tandem in the league. Photo: Hockey Players Relaxing in Dressing Room, By Bettmann. It was the beginning of the end. The owner of the Bruins wisely cautioned him that, for someone not bred to wealth, it would ruin his life. Wasn't somebody a little upset that you were starting overtime instead of him? Six years after becoming the highest paid athlete in the world, a broke Sanderson was stealing booze from package stores and sleeping on a New York City park bench. How he walked into a Rolls-Royce dealership and pulled out in a dream. Enter your email below and we'll send you another email. It was a mountain of money at that time. Bobby ended up parallelI was amazed that that [photographer] caught it right at that moment. On Thursday, August 3, Derek Sanderson became the world's highest-paid professional athlete when he signed a $2,625,000 contract with the Philadelphia Blazers. Rhonda Sanderson's detailed questions about their son's death led to an investigation by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. Access articles from across Canada with one account. Its often forgotten that they started out from pretty average means, or worse. After being traded from the Bruins - with whom he won Stanley Cups in 1970 and 1972 - to the New York Rangers, he partnered with "Broadway" Joe Namath in a bar called "Bachelors III." By that time, Sanderson had developed vascular necrosis. For comments, email info@docgiff.com or tweet @GiffordJonesMD. In his book, he writes about mixing cocktails in a salad spinner and consuming four bottles of wine "just to get square." I wanted to protect athletes from themselves, he says. There was an error, please provide a valid email address. The doctor then advised Scotch, Dewars White Label. He told clients about the lessons hes learned, about how lonely he felt surrounded by a world he purchased. He recalls a 1979 incident when he visited Orr. Eventually, he would fly hammered and would have to be, in his words, "poured off the plane on the other end. That was the start of Derek Sanderson's drinking problem, something that teammate, Bobby Orr, spoke with him about on a few occasions. The content within Cybergolf.com is copyright-protected by its publisher, Orbit Enterprises, Inc. No part of Cybergolf.com may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from Orbit Enterprises. From our newsroom to your inbox at noon, the latest headlines, stories, opinion and photos from the Toronto Sun. Sanderson now helps athletes avoid the road he took. Hes also a prostate cancer survivor. Sandersons teammates soon began calling him Turk. On a rainy afternoon in Philadelphia, a young man walked into a Rolls-Royce dealership, curious because hed never been close to such a pricey and prestigious car. What? Which team did you hate the most to play against? Bobby wasn't there, he wouldn't do something like that. Donny Awrey made a great play to keep it in or they would have broken out earlier. Winning that night was not Sandersons agenda; enticing Orr into a brawl was. But signs of trouble developed immediately. Get exclusive access to the Toronto Sun ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition that you can share, download and comment on. It was a lot of fun, an exciting moment, a great time. Who owned bachelors three? Wise-Answer Multiple events lead to Sandersons downfall. WebWhy was Derek Sanderson called Turk? ", "I got up and left," Sanderson said. Enter your email address to get a new one. When you come to a game and you think you are prepared but you are not unless someone gives you something specific like, This is what we are going to do tonight. . Turk - IMDb It's hard to believe. (He didnt.) Casey Sherman, one of the Boston-based authors behind the books that later became The Finest Hours and Patriots Day, has completed a script and is set to produce Turk, a film about Bruins center Derek Sanderson. Over 13 NHL seasons, he amassed 202 goals, 250 assists, 911 penalty minutes and a plus-141 rating in 598 games with five teams. He broke to the net on a give-and-go and (Blues defenseman) Jean Guy Talbot should never have come to me. Asked to name a moment that stands out as the craziest, Sanderson says softly, "They were all crazy. In a lively interview with WKXLs Chris Ryan, Derek Sanderson opens up about his amazing life. It wouldnt have mattered to me if they did.. In 2005 he went to work in the professional athletes department of Howland Capital, a private investment firm in Boston. This takes you through the rollercoaster ride that's been my life." The Bruins organization, fans and former teammates rallied around a rehabbed Sanderson and NESN hired him as a color man on its hockey broadcasts For ten years he worked as a sidekick and color commentator for Fred Cusick, the Bruins play-by-play guy. After hitting bottom in the late 1970s, he managed to pull himself up. The team grew tired of the contrast between his lack of performance on the ice and his considerable energy off it. The eccentric center, the winner of the 1967 Calder Trophy as the NHL's best rookie, became one of the most beloved athletes in the city's sports lore. As a promotion, the club had given each patron in attendance a souvenir orange puck. (approx 1 - 2 per week). Sandersons defensive skills, two-way play and prowess in the faceoff circle and on the penalty kill makes for a favorable comparison to Bruins first-line center Patrice Bergeron. Eventually, his off-ice lifestyle, playboy image, booze, women, and drugs became the Frankenstein monster that destroyed his hockey career. But he had no filter. His partying lifestyle caught up with him by the time his career ended and he was found sleeping in an inebriated state on a bench in Central Park. WebBorn and raised in Niagara Falls, Ontario, he played his junior hockey for the N.F. The image of Orr flying though the air after whipping the puck past St. Louis goalie Glenn Hall in indelibly etched in the minds of most hockey fans, Bruin supporter or not. What do you remember from the clinching game? His fights were as legendary as his charm, while his smothering fore-checks and tenacity in the corners were his trademarks. In his book, 'Crossing the Line: The Outrageous Story of a Hockey Original, Derek Sanderson, who played for five NHL teams throughout his career including the Bruins and the Blues shares his hockey highs and lows and moments that would eventually see him homeless and living on the street. We were really deep. They agreed to meet the next day. [1] His older sister Karen was born in 1944 while their father was serving in France. Then it was over pretty quickly. We've sent an email with instructions to create a new password. Sanderson went to the bank to get a cashiers cheque WebTurk: Directed by John Curran. What would it be like to be the highest paid athlete in the world, the toast of Boston, the winner of two Stanley Cups, the rich devil-may-care playboy? I didn't think I was special or different. The Bruins captivated the Boston sports scene by winning their first NHL title in 29 years. Crossing the street, up to the Branding Iron. {* traditionalSignIn_signInButton *}, Comment and participate in our online community. A welcome email is on its way. "I thought everybody lived like I did. Harold decided his son would become a hockey star, so Derek began skating at the age of 8 and received an expensive pair of skates at 12 with the promise that he would give his dad a Stanley Cup ring someday. [3], Sanderson played junior hockey in his hometown with the Niagara Falls Flyers of the Ontario Hockey Association. Copyright 1999-2020 Boston Professional Hockey Association, Inc. and the National Hockey League. 1970 and 1972 were, but for the man they called "Turk," the first one had His time with the Flyers saw him being named to the Second All-Star Team in 196566, to the First All-Star Team in 196667 and winning the Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy as the top scorer in the OHA also in 196667. WebHe was terrified of flying so the Bruins sent him to a psychiatrist who made two disastrous errors. Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. Derek Michael Turk Sanderson (June 16, 1946-) served up the pass to Bobby Orr in the 1970 Stanley Cup Finals against the St. Louis Blues that Orr buried past Jacques Plante to help the Bruins capture their first Stanley Cup championship in 29 years. [Blues defenseman] Jean-Guy Talbot should never have come to meif you're the defenseman, you're not gonna go behind the net. Next, select your favourite teams and leagues and well show you their latest news and scores in the My Favourites section of the home page. The guys said, 'Oh, what are you doing?' "I had no money and no place to sleep, writes Sanderson of arriving in NYC. Get email updates from your favourite authors. Their son, Scott Leslie Sanderson, died at birth on October 4, 1981, in Niagara Falls. That perfect pass, zipped from behind the goal line that set Orr up, was from Derek Sanderson. [19], In 2012, Sanderson became the Managing Director of The Sports Group, in Boston. Opening night in Philadelphia, there was a problem with the ice and pucks kept disappearing under the boards. was playing for the Bruins. Derek Sanderson Derek We use cookies to improve your experience. WebFormer NHL player Derek Sanderson poses in Toronto on Friday, Oct. 19, 2012. [4] In 196465, Sanderson helped the Flyers reach the Memorial Cup finals where they beat the Edmonton Oil Kings[5] in five games. There was a few good guys, smaller people. [2] In his early youth, Sanderson took to hockey, skating countless hours on a scaled-down version of an NHL rink, which his father built and maintained while his mother served hot chocolate during breaks in the action. He had me pay attention to every face-off. We were lucky. [They've] got some great players. In the winter of 1979, Sanderson showed up in Chicago stoned. He cares that much about his players, he never called us by our nicknames. Derek Sanderson If no results appear, use Enter to do a full site search. The rink spanned two backyards of small cookie-cutter houses on lots provided at modest prices to servicemen such as Harold upon their return home. I never really reacted right away. I'm telling you, the things he knows about the gamehe was a really, really good coach and a good person. Teddy Green said to me, 'What are you gonna do if we lose this?' WebIn his book, 'Crossing the Line: The Outrageous Story of a Hockey Original, Derek Sanderson, who played for five NHL teams throughout his career including the Bruins Turk is coming out as a release To Be Announced (TBA). Your existing password has not been changed. The people were really good. Receive the latest news and breaking updates, straight from our newsroom to your inbox. That puck had to land flat, but he never held it, he just redirected it, really. Phil was on my right and he goes, 'I can't believe that.' He's been a member of The Ridge Club in South Sandwich, Mass., since the early 1990s. Our story Email Us Call Us: 248.387.9826, USA TODAY • L.A. Times • CBS Detroit • Crains Detroit Business • Corp Magazine. Sanderson went to the bank to get a cashiers cheque for $78,000 (thats more than $400,000 in todays dollars when adjusted for inflation). So I asked Sanderson what finally saved his life. A year later the two budding superstars were teammates on the Bruins. When you come to a game and you think you're prepared, you're not. We needed them and they appreciated us. Thats when he took four fingers for a flight to New York and eight for the trip to the West Coast! [7], After brief stints with the Bruins in the two previous seasons, Sanderson earned a permanent roster spot in the 196768 campaign. Still, Sanderson won the Calder Trophy in 1968 as NHL Rookie of the Year, and was a key component in the Bruins' championship teams, making the pass to Orr that set up the famous overtime goal that won the 1970 Cup. include items vital to surviving the extreme weather of every season. . What is one story from 1970 that people might not know? " That was all I needed, just a little opening. Everything You Need to Know About Turk Movie (Development) Derek Sanderson last played in 1978. A 7-handicap who once played to a 1, Sanderson plays nearly every day during the summer, despite walking with a limp after 10 hip surgeries. Get a hold of Harry and write a book. " No, no. Unwilling to put up with the aggravation of lugging his golf clubs on vacations, he would purchase a new set, and give them to his caddie as a tip before leaving. To see your localized preferences, please enable geolocation services in your browser settings. Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience. [Chicago Blackhawks forward] Stan Mikita was good, [Montreal Canadiens forward] Jacques Lemaire was good, a great centerman. This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below. He helps professional athletes invest their money as vice president of Baystate Wealth Management in Boston. [9] If the Frank J. Selke Trophy had been given to the top defensive forward during his Bruins stint -- the award made its debut in the 1977-78 season -- it's not unrealistic to think that Sanderson would have been the recipient more than once. [6] After spending four years in the OHA, Sanderson turned pro by signing with the Boston Bruins of the National Hockey League in 196566, and made his professional debut that season by playing two games with the Bruins. This made Turk groggy. Come with a little grit and work hard. I watched him, I think it was his first training camp.