It wasnt until1977 when he played infamous badass Jaws in the James Bond filmThe Spy Who Loved Me that Richard really shot to fame. Why is Frank McCourt really pushing it? Shaq is allowed to score some points that maybe he wouldnt get.. You don't see Yao Ming endangering these records, even though he has a four inch advantage over your average centers today. Biedenbach is optimistically cautious. Born in 1890 and one of the first successful tall actors in the early days of cinema, there were a lot of reports circulating of just how tall he was. Unfortunately like several others on this list Mcgrorys career was cut short when he passed away at only age 32 in 2005. By visiting Celeb Heights you agree to its. Anshika Rai is an NBA writer at EssentiallySports. All Wilt did was get his hand on the ball. Later in that same game, Gus got the ball on a fast break, and the only guy back was Wilt. ASHEVILLE, N.C. The University of North Carolina-Asheville mens basketball team has perhaps the most effective inbounds play in the country: the Bulldogs point guard lofts the ball high toward the basket, and center Kenny George either tips it in or dunks it, without leaving his feet, as his opponents leap in vain. LAS VEGAS, NEVADA OCTOBER 09: Shaquille ONeal attends the WBC heavyweight His hands which were 9.5 inches in length and 11.5 inches in span were not particularly impressive for someone his size but they were still significantly bigger than the average. The league really didn't know how to handle Wilt, and subconsciously, the refs let the little guys get away with murder. His first breakout role on screen was as Bigfoot in the televison show The Six Million Dollar Man and his most famous role was that of the lovable giant in the 1987 The Princess Bridebased on the childrens fantasy classic of the same name. He hit the floor, and when they examined him, he became the first and only player ever to suffer a dislocated shoulder on a blocked shot. Transition from Kareem/Waltons era to Shaq/Dekes era, Draymond Green Returns To Warriors Starting Lineup For Game 7 Against Kings, Dillon Brooks Fined $25K For Skipping Media Responsibilities, Julius Randle Expected To Miss Game 1 Against Heat, Erik Spoelstra On Jimmy Butler's Ankle: 'We'll Just Have To See', Jimmy Butler And Tom Thibodeau: Kindred Souls Turned Rivals, Zach Kleiman Non-Committal On Dillon Brooks' Future With Grizzlies. Aside from being a 7-foot tall giant, his body mass was insane too. He never even touched him, he got all ball. Clyde Lovellette of the Celtics knocked a couple of Wilt's front teeth into the roof of his mouth on one play. Scan this QR code to download the app now. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. Currently, he is a well-known analyst at ESPN and a famous businessman. Skip Bayless explains why he feels Shaq 'is underestimating himself' by ranking him as the fourth-best center of all time. However, they are still well below the average NBA height. Shaquille O'Neal may have been one of the most dominant players in basketball history, but he's also surprisingly humble. The list put Shaq fourth among centers, behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell. Jordan, Shaq, Harden The players who led to NBA rule changes I've grown a quarter of an inch since coming into the pros. He reprised the role in 1979s MoonrakerI had convinced the producer that Jaws should have some characteristics that were human to counteract the steel teeth. Over the years, many referees have admitted that they let guys get away with clobbering Wilt on the offensive end. "Pace and space" is the name of the NBA right now, but nobody will forget the dominant centers of yesteryear, including the most recent example: Shaquille O'Neal. George says he faces no long-term health problems because of his size, but still has his pituitary gland checked by an endocrinologist once a month. Duncan wasn't exactly an exciting player to watch, but he was definitely one of the most efficient to ever play basketball. I was thoroughly impressed with Shaquille as a young man, I thought he had a lot of class, style, and a lot of enthusiasm. Wilt ran a sub-eleven second 100m, a forty-nine second 400m in sweats, and a 1:58.3 second 800m. LeGoggles: NBA Twitter in Splits After LeBron James Steals Magic Players Australias Tallest Rugby League Player Dane Tilse, The 5 Best Hiking Pants for Tall Guys 2020, The 5 Best Rash Guards for Tall People 2020, The 5 Best Camping Mats/Sleeping Pads for Tall People, Add to Wilt Chamberlain had more competition back in his day than there is today. Wilt Chamberlain Wasn't Impressed With Shaquille O'Neal at First: "He They didnt know what to do with him, Biedenbach said. In fact, the only centers ahead of him in win shares happen to be Artis Gilmore and Wilt Chamberlain. The other name that often gets thrown into this conversation is none other than the legendary Wilt Chamberlain, with whom Shaq had a somewhat complicated relationship early on in his career, especially after he became a member of the . Shaq at four. Shaq talks about Wilt Chamberlain - YouTube Muresan can be seen in Eminemsfamous music video My Name Is and also got a starring role alongside Billy Crystal in the 1998 comedy My Giant earning him the number one spot on our list of the top 10 tallest actors of all time. And his ball handling skills were good enough for him to make the Harlem Globetrotters. Shaquille O'Neal vs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Comparison: Who Is The - MSN It was partly my agility and grace that helped me never to foul out (in 1,205 games), and to move around and get all those rebounds. Offensive goaltending was instituted during Russell's senior year in college (1956). The injury was aggravated later that year by Willie Naulls of the Knicks. Andre would go on to become one of the most famous WWF wrestlers to date. Wilt Chamberlain: Did He Really Play In a Weak Era? Wilt didn't even foul him on the play, all he did was block the dunk. Everybody and his mother has been calling to ask that, Wilt says. Shaq had a successful four-year stint with Orlando. The last four or five years of my career, when centers started getting more lax on defense, I was able to get inside more often and dunk. Everyone can use help, someone couldve worked with me when I was young. In fact, Sports Illustrated in 1986 described him as the finest athletic construction made of flesh and blood. When I averaged 50, and 44, my points came off jump shots, and hooks from time to time. Rare Video Shows Out of Shape Michael Jordan Getting Bashed by WNBA Legend After He Torched Her 1v1 on Court. How tall is Wilt Chamberlain - Page 2. Standing at 7-feet tall, Chamberlain was a stats padding machine. If you can imagine anyone dislocating Lebron's shoulder while blocking his shot, that's what it was like when Wilt did that to Gus. For one, when I talk about these things, people say, Wilts bragging again. And yet this stuff is never initiated by Wilt, but by the media trying to compare someone with me. He wrote a piece for Look Magazine about the NBA being a bush league, but the Warriors' owner talked him into coming back, even though Wilt was ready to hang it up. Not only was Shaq better than Wilt in the playoffs, but Wilt straight up wasn't that good in the playoffs. The question now is: Will we ever see a center who could threaten his place in the pecking order? (Incidentally, ONeal fouled out of his first NBA game.). Truth is, it would be easier today for Wilt, not harder. Not sure about Russell. Beating Wilt Chamberlain would be no easy feat for Shaquille O'Neal. A man ought to know how tall he is.". Nobody, right?Hes allowed to do his own thing, and Shaquille has to prove hes another Wilt Chamberlain. [CDATA[ amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; amzn_assoc_search_bar = "false"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "plus2clothing-20"; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_title = "Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Flicks"; amzn_assoc_linkid = "9a0710c7d6609f1c99f244bc7b3a8192"; amzn_assoc_asins = "B001SSNI8Y,B001TM5B16,B006RXPZWM,B00021R7E4"; amzn_assoc_size = "autoxauto"; // ]]> Although you may not be familiar with the name or even the movies John Aasen starred in, the legend and story surrounding him is well worth the read. Someone has to come out as a loser. If anyone ever played me straight-up, halle-bleeping-lujah, Chamberlain says. As a result of playing more minutes of overtime than he sat out during regulation, Wilt averaged 48.5 minutes per game that year, even though a regulation game is only 48 minutes. Dig this: Long Beach States Mason Briggs could be next big thing at libero, Dodgers vs. Philadelphia Phillies: How to watch, start times and betting odds, Elliott: Pissed off Kings must improve in key areas to break Oilers playoff stranglehold, Shohei Ohtanis seventh home run of the season helps Angels avoid sweep, How Palm Springs ran out Black and Latino families to build a fantasy for rich, white people, 17 SoCal hiking trails that are blooming with wildflowers (but probably not for long! Fact is that Wilt and Shaq have the skill and talent to go along with their size, height, and strength to create a lethal combination. Use of this website (including any and all parts and components) constitutes your acceptance of these. Wilt's career . Wilt Chamberlain and Shaquille O'Neal will forever be linked together since they were both physically dominant superstars that changed the game and rulebooks forever. He later went on to play Karl the Giant in the Tim Burton classic 2003 fantasy movie Big Fish. I dont know who would be better qualified to help him. However, when it comes to big men, Shaq reopened the discussion when he voiced his agreement on an Instagram post that rated him as the fourth-best center of all time. Jones dropping back to help. Kareem is . Wilt is so overrated. Wilt wanted to retire after his first season because of how teams were "defending" him. Wilt was definitely stronger than Shaq (although Shaq is a LOT heavier because he has a lot more fat than Wilt did). Wilt's career . And what made it even more amazing is that he had 3-4 guys collapsing and getting rough on him whenever he touched the ball. Wilt Chamberlain is unquestionably one of the best players to ever play at the center position in the NBA. He would make further stops in Pheonix, Cleaveland, and Boston before hanging up his boots. Wilt was the first in a long line of basketball stars to take the plunge on to the silver screen. How come none of these 60's players put up the same numbers as Wilt did? Today's game runs less now than it did in the 60s, and Wilt was a better athlete than anyone now. All content 2000-2023 RealGM, L.L.C. During his prime and his later years in the NBA, he admitted that this weight was closer to 290-300lbs.The only one who could give him any problem was this former track star and Olympic caliber high jumper named Bill Russell (In the late 70's when he was in his mid to late forties and with the Seattle Supersonics, Bill had one on one skirmishes with the Sonics players. This got us thinking whothe 10 tallest movie stars everare? He had a lot of interests besides basketball. [CDATA[ amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; amzn_assoc_search_bar = "false"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "plus2clothing-20"; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_title = "Matthew McGrory Flicks"; amzn_assoc_linkid = "9a0710c7d6609f1c99f244bc7b3a8192"; amzn_assoc_asins = "B0094M2ITG,B002UZWWD6,B003BRMPPM,B00005U8QN"; amzn_assoc_size = "autoxauto"; // ]]> Muresan is another former NBA basketballer who started his career dominating European professional basketball. Tall NBA Players Who Had Relatively Short Parents right now, he believes that the Bucks are primed for another championship run He'd average 18. Arnie is forcing that smileandre looks like he could pick Arnie up, pass to Wilt and slam dunk him, CelebHeights.com Rob Paul 2004-2023. Along with being the NBA all-time leading scorer, Kareem also has an impressive film resume, with over 20 film/TV roles to date including a role in Stephen Kings mini-series The Stand. Im not saying he needs a lot of help. On the set of Conan the Destroyer and when he was around mid-forties, Wilt was rumored to have a bench pressed 450lbs and beaten Arnold in weight lifting. now. He is a sports enthusiast He transformed each one into a virtual volleyball game, smacking down any would be attacks to the basket). After . Also, Wilt was defended rigourously probably even more so than Shaq today. He was about . He didn't win as many championships as everyone expected him to, but he's a holder of a lot of NBA records. The record is yet to be broken and probably never will be. They never compared Bill Walton to me. About seven feet long. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features NFL Sunday Ticket Press Copyright . The holder of many long-standing NBA records and a player who many considered Superman amongst mere mortals, Chamberlain had a transformative effect on a . What do you guys think? It was the most overpowering force imaginable. I notice that 99% of his baskets come on dunks. Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination, Andrew Lang. Chamberlain that ONeal was a big tough man. -George Carlin. "I suspect his shoe will go into the Hall of Fame because of its size," said . Celebrity Fan Photos and Agency Pictures of stars are to their respective owners. Anyone can read what you share. Wilt only ever starred in one film, however when your only film is starring alongsideArnold Schwarzenegger as the club-swinging Bombaatain the 1984 sequel to Conan the Barbarian Conan the Destroyer. If you watch Kareem and I both run the court end to end, theres no way youd say he had a more graceful style. 07, 2021 in McDonough, Georgia. Dr. Michael Thorner, professor of internal medicine at the University of Virginia, said acromegaly had an incidence rate of three to four cases per million and usually was not diagnosed until after puberty. ESPN.com - Page2 - Shaq beats Wilt Shaquille O'Neal vs Wilt Chamberlain | Who is the Most Dominant? The attention has not abated, but George says he is more comfortable with it because he and his team are playing well. However it is probably his cameo appearances in comedies where Shaq has being the most memorable including his roles in such classics as Freddy Got Fingered, Curb Your Enthusiasm and the hysterical Saw parody scene in Scary Movie 4 Kobe?!. Coming in at number 10 is recently deceased actor Richard Kiel (died age 74 in late 2014). I tell him my mom is busy and cant call him, so Ill represent both of us, and I will also share his thoughts with an eager nation. Gus was going to try to dunk it again. Paulo is also correct. In this pic he is clearly smaller than KG: Garnett came into the league as a soft lanky SF who didn't want to play the post, which is why he lied about his height. Georges wingspan, fingertip to fingertip, is 101 inches, and with shoes on he stands 7-9. According to an updated ranking list by Bleacher Report, Chamberlain is currently ranked in the top five among all the greats who played center. #WiltChamberlain #Shaq #NBA-Music:Audiomachine - TriumphAudiomachine - Nothing to Prove to YouAudiomachine - We are Gods Shaq's excess fat has a negative affect on his stamina. As of today, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar still holds the record for the most career points in NBA history. Any double ejection would be an unequal trade, and Wilt was not a mean guy to begin with. Powered by phpBB Forum Software phpBB Limited. Notably, according to a resurfaced article, Wilt believed that NBAs tallest player ever, Gheorghe Muresan, was better than Shaq. Your login session has expired. That said, Wilt, what do you think of the kid? Gus's forward motion immediately stopped, and he felt something pop in his shoulder. There is a more holistic power Jimmy Butler has access to, involving his fearlessness and his great strategic intelligence but not limited to these things. Wilt Chamberlain . This adds merit to the . Originally abouncer and cemetery plot salesman, he landed his first roleas a character called Bare Knuckles in the NBC seriesKlondike, however hisbreakthrough film came in the 1974 along sideBurt Reynoldsin the originalThe Longest Yard film. The bottom line for me is Id like to see him given the chance to play basketball with his own athletic ability and style, let him be Shaquille ONeal and not the new Wilt Chamberlain, or the new anyone else.. We tried not to go under the basket when hes in, because its useless, Buffalo Coach Reggie Witherspoon said. To put all of that into context, the heaviest active player in the NBA is Boston Celtics center Tacko Fall, listed at 7-foot-5 and 311 pounds. Some reported John to be as tall as 811 whilst others had him as 7. Yet when asked if he liked him, Chamberlain responded that he liked him quite a bit and that he brought something to the table as a celebrity. Each big man had their own unique traits and accomplishments, however, who exactly was the tallest of them all? Wilt averaged 46 minutes per game over the course of his career, and in 1962, Wilt only sat out EIGHT MINUTES of the ENTIRE SEASON. 15-20 per game. Other vital statistics like weight or shoe size measurements have been sourced from newspapers, books, resumes or social media. Richard would then go on to become famous amongst a whole new generation of film goers as his highly quotable role as Mr Larson in the 1997 cult classic Happy Gilmore starring Adam Sandler. Shaqs (off-court) acting career all began in 1994 when he played (you guessed it) a basketballer named Neon. By his senior year, his feet had grown beyond size 23, the largest athletic shoe made. His parents separated when he was 2 years old, and his father, Ken Sr., received primary custody of his only son. Kareem Abdul Jabbar Height - CelebHeights.com He also was so strong that the double-teaming defenses used today wouldn't bother him.". He also has the only 20-20-20 (pts reb assists) game in NBA history. To do this remaining one of the most memorable and formidable 007 foes. George said he hoped to play professional basketball, but he has other interests including graphic design, animation, comic books and cartoons. Chamberlain says that his size makes him extremely agile, and he can hire a tutor to help him improve. Full Player Comparison: Shaquille O'Neal vs. Wilt Chamberlain The following season he was at 265 pounds, before finally getting up to 395 pounds in his final title in Los Angeles. // It would be a total cakewalk for Wilt.Having said that, it's entirely possible that he might throw it all away for a rap career! The biggest misconception on Wilt is that he dominated because the game had no competition, which is just wrong and senseless. A fan favorite, his most famous stops were Orlando, Los Angeles, and Miami. The Youtube guy in charge of "Wilt Chamberlain Archive" adds these Shaq and Wilt facts: Draftexpress updated Shaq's height without shoes to only 7 foot even, not 7 foot 1. John was most well known for his role as Colosso in the 1923 comedy Why Worry. ), At Willie Nelson 90, country, rock and rap stars pay tribute, but Willie and Trigger steal the show, Concertgoer lets out a loud full body orgasm while L.A. Phil plays Tchaikovskys 5th, Plaschke: Lakers live up to their legacy with a close-out win for the ages, Florida Panthers upset record-setting Boston Bruins in Game 7 OT thriller, Dodgers dont need the long ball to finish sweep of Cardinals, School is in session as Sparks begin training camp, The Times final regular-season top 25 baseball rankings. For the Suns to beat the Nuggets, let alone reach The Finals, they need Ayton to narrow his role - then thrive in it. Tall NBA Players Who Had Relatively Short Parents - Opera News First off, the 24- second shot clock was already in place in 1954. Anshika has been Shaq is faster, jumps better, is quicker and is more of a force in the NBA. He is a member of the NBA 75 and is also considered to be one of the greatest LA Lakers legends in history. Hes got to learn to score without going inside all the time.. All rights reserved. After taking over the team during Duncan Robinson's exit, the "Big Fundamental" continued to bring success to San Antonio alongside Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. Could Wilt Chamberlain have dominated Shaq? - YouTube Our team tried to allow him time away from people asking if they can put their hand against his hand or how big his feet are.. Shaq worries opponents; Wilt inspired terror. As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images). They'd hack him and send him to the line, and hope he makes one out of two. Ive been sitting around contemplating a few things, Wilt says. Sharpe also conceded Shaq could have been higher on the list perhaps even the best player ever if the big man had maintained a more dedicated mindset in the offseason. George and North Carolina-Asheville face No. He was 6'10 and considered a freak by his opponents. Wilt is only in Top 10s because of accolades and . Wilt's hand size certainly contributed to his status as one of the most dominant players in NBA history. Kareem was TALL and Wilt was MASSIVE - RealGM When, he, Dwyane Wade and the Heat won the championship a season later, Shaq said he weighed about 325 pounds. Wilt Chamberlain Height - How tall - Page 2 - CelebHeights.com Abdul Jabbar: 38,387 career points (most all time), 17,440 career rebounds (fourth), Six NBA championships, Chamberlain: 31,419 career points (seventh), 23,924 career rebounds (first), Two NBA championships, Russell: 14,522 career points (162nd), 21,620 career rebounds (second), 11 NBA championships (most), Get more from National Basketball Association, Follow your favorites to get information about games, news and more, FOX SPORTS, SPEED, SPEED.COM & 2023 Fox Media LLC and Fox Sports Interactive Media, LLC. So to sum up: Wilt was 1" taller without shoes, had 1" longer arm span. He is too tall to fit into a drivers seat, so he does not have a drivers license and must ask friends for rides. In this society of ours, with all the racial unrest, Im not looking to create any more division or turmoil, Im just trying to be truthful and honest. I came into the league at 265 pounds. Now they will do battle in an unexpected series. A firm believer in the 'Greek Freak' being the best player in the league Wilt played with all of these rules in effect. Kerr immediately knew what happened as soon as the ball hit his foot. His greatness exists mainly in the fading memories of a increasingly small band of people who saw him play. Wilt towered a mere three inches over the opposition. Guinness Book of Records still has Mcgrory listed as the tallest actor of all time. Checking in at 7-foot-1 and just north of 300 pounds coming out of LSU, Shaq continued to add weight to his formidable physique as his career progressed. Drafted by the Orlando Magic with the first overall pick in the 1992 NBA Draft, Shaq made an instant impact. More importantly . // 7 Feet 7 and 360 Pounds, With Bigger Feet Than Shaq's "Never argue with an idiot. Near the end of a recent overtime victory against Buffalo, George received a standing ovation for his 21-point, 10-rebound, 6-block performance. Like Shaq, Wilt could physically take over a game. He has already established that hes going to the basket, so the defense is back on its heels. following NBA for many years now. Be the first one to comment on this story. Wilt was 1" taller without shoes, had 1" longer arm span. I wont bore you with stats, but how about just this one: When Wilt averaged 37.6 points as an NBA rookie, he was the first player in the history of the league to average more than 29 points. [CDATA[ amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; amzn_assoc_search_bar = "false"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "plus2clothing-20"; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_title = "John Aasen Flicks"; amzn_assoc_linkid = "9a0710c7d6609f1c99f244bc7b3a8192"; amzn_assoc_asins = "B000B5XORA,B002TWEONQ,B000B5XORK,B0057JHQAG"; amzn_assoc_size = "autoxauto"; // ]]> Born Andre Roussimoff in France. Tim Duncan is undeniably the greatest Spurs player of all time. He's also a star-studded player with six NBA titles, two Finals MVPs, six league MVPs, and a 19-time All-Star.