River Trent, East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire River Trent, East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire These fishing rights owned by the Association are quite possibly one of the best stretches of the River Trent available. As its popularity grows, so the thirst for knowledge becomes insatiable, particularly for information about who controls the fishing. It is not my intention to include ticket prices as these are subject to change but you can simply follow the web links to where the most recent details should be available. 2020.06.17 Map 15. Feeder tactics would be my main method for any species. . The following articles, written a while ago, still stand the test of time. Trent Fishing Club (Email tafcltd@gmail.com), http://www.facebook.com/trentpointfishery, https://www.foxcovertfisheries.uk/river-fishing, Ferryboat Angling Club, Church Laneham (No contact details available). January 1, 2023 September 21, 2022 by Brent Pollock The usual range of the River Trent at Gunthorpe LVL is between 0.35m and 1.39m. That said, I spent donkeys years fishing the Trent before barbel fishing became fashionable and we never went heavier than 6lb main line and 3oz feeders. A big thanks to everyone who helped and to those who I hope will now refine it going forwards. Dont ignore the wooded areas either end. Youve already found my web site and read the how-to, now find the Ultimate Trent Guide and read the where-to carefully. Less tangible is the legend that Dick Turpin once lodged at the former Black Swan Inn. Unfortunately access is rather limited. Once a very famous match length. Please remember the 2 rod Rule on the river and Rod spacing rule on both lakes and river, Rods not to be more than 3 metres apart at the butt from the outside Rods. 2019.03.15: Map 7 updated regarding private stretch on West bank (details courtesy of Jon Jess), 2019.03.15 Maps 8 & 9 updated. Details courtesy of Greg Wardak. Now the rivers voice was ominous, for none the fact could blink That it ought not to be audible at all, Since the houses lay a measured mile above the nearest brink, And the railway ran between them like a wall. Just so you are aware, I recently bailiffed the Barbel Masters UK 2022 and you wouldnt believe the good feedback I heard about your guide. The second meadow down stream of Gunthorpe lock. Those prepared to walk will find all the peace and solitude they might crave. The complex is huge and it will take time to sort out. You are also only 7 mi. Im struck by how the amount of available day ticket fishing has shrunk since the match fishing scene died. The Flegbrough west bank I understand was Soldiers & Saliors, but is now from a personal visit is unaccessible .The East bank near Torksey Eva featured in the Anglers Mail last year with day tickets available from a club based on a local pub, regrettably I cannot recall The name, but the word White featured. Members are permitted to fish FP, Duffers, Tench lake and Dollar lakes only as well as the whole of the river section of the river Trent. Salmon Farm fishery added to the Collingham Stretch. Boundary change. Of course, the success of any guide relies upon it being a live, continuously updated document and this can only work when fellow anglers, club secretaries and fishery owners are willing to participate by sharing their knowledge. You will notice how the inside of bends are natural banks of shallow, gradually deepening water over hard packed gravel whereas the outside of the bends are all stoned to prevent erosion and probably explains the current fashion for using rod pods on the river. The oldest date back to 1250AD and the city lays claim to having more man-made caves than anywhere else in the country. How to get there:- For some time, man and fish struggled but eventually the fish tired, but as the man was about to land it a wild goose flying overhead swooped down and seized the fish. The tale may sound rather far fetched but the Goose Fair is still held on the same spot every year at the beginning of October some four Centuries later. Day ticket list amended. Nor do you always have to cast to the far bank! The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". Running parallel with the Dyke, just behind Northgate lies Lovers Lane. Powerful, twisting and turning, it picks up a tinge of colour with the tides. Gravel galore, wide sweeping bends, good depth and flow, stuffed with fish and the chance of a real big one. Our water is situated at Caythorpe and Hoveringham in Nottinghamshire. Boats users remember to respect other non boat users whilst baiting up or positioning rods, remember not to go further than your own swim. What a fantastic read and as I am moving up to the Nottingham area from the south soon, It will become an invaluable guide to me going forward. Rob Lee has a 2 peg field next to us. Worth considering using a braid mainline, say 10lb BS and a shock leader but make sure you get your knots right. 281525, Future Fishing, Hardys Business Park, Unit 17, Hawton Ln, In 1939 gravel extraction from alongside the river Trent was begun by the Hoveringham Gravel company. Price: Free fishing. Nik. What I have learned from compiling this resource is there are some very good, informative web sites and some that arent! Bob, you are a credit to the sport! 2020.07.28 Maps 26 & 27 Updated to reflect the extended rights of Long Eaton Victoria AC fishing at Attenborough. RIVER ARUN AND ROTHER, PULBOROUGH, W SUSSEX. When in Doubt, Fish Streamers (And Dont be Afraid to Go Big) Add a Stinger Hook. It perhaps says everything that I discovered a book called Not Forgetting Caythorpe by Anne Sharp, but it appears history indeed has done just that, unless theres a hidden dark story about which non shall speak! Cheers Bob. Whichever water you decide to fish please respect the club rules and wherever you can, please support these clubs by becoming a member. Day, night and season tickets available. The river begins to get more popular with anglers from here on upstream. The Dyke is believed to be Britains oldest canal, dug by the Romans around 120AD and links the Trent and the River Witham at Lincoln. . Proper barbel country now, popularised but not necessarily as heavily fished as you may have been led to believe. Time will tell. Thats pure horse manure. NG9 3PA. Day tickets are no longer issued. 0:00 / 53:45 River Trent Barbel Vlogs Part 6- (GUNTHORPE LOCK FISHERY-SOCIAL VLOG) 4,184 views Feb 18, 2022 53 Dislike Share Save TotalFisherman6502 1.69K subscribers Now then ladies and. I use them for small baits such as 8mm pellets, mini boilies and single grains of corn. Welcome to the Midland Angling Society The Midland Angling Society have 140 pegs on the River Trent available for pleasure and match fishing producing some of the best fishing and value for money on the river. The final lock at Hazelford was opened in 1926. The methods are as you would expect really, a marker rod is an essential bit of kit here. (day tickets available) the water is subject to the closed season. All the ponds to the right of the access road. A group of nere-do-wells attempted to wreck the Barbel Society and depose its leader but the campaign proved to be a miserable failure. An eccentric would-be politician who, in 2014, received more votes than the Lib Dems in a by-election in Nottingham. Two trips fishing for barbel and chub on the river trent Nottingham. Interestingly Ive had a very useful message from Dave McCreath, Chaiman of both BDAAS and the ABF, regarding the fishing around Hazelford weir. 2022.09.08 Map 17. Far too many to list. Scroll to the bottom of the guide if you want to check on the most recent changes listed in order that the information was received. (day tickets available) the water is subject to the closed season. A saltwater license does not give someone permission to fish in freshwater lakes and streams, and vice versa. The upper pegs are average depth but hold big bream to double figures whilst the downstream pegs are shallower and hold big carpand barbel (day tickets available) the water is subject to the closed season. The river here splits. From 2023 the Parish Pegs, which I presume is the old Iron and Steel AC stretch, has now been shared with Scunthorpe AA members. The island between the two weirs (Nabbs Island) is C&RT owned but fishing rights belong to Scunthorpe who do not allow fishing from the island at all (to protect Ladypits to the south of the island). 949 1812, Walkers Of Trowell, 9-13 Nottingham Rd, Trowell. 2023.01.24 Map 17. All we do in the ABF now is run several night fishing syndicates. Not surprisingly this was an area prone to flooding in times past. The company adopted the mammoth as its logo and for many years its lorries with their mammoth symbols were a familiar sight in the district. NG10 1PD. It provides a winter flood refuge for many species. Please try and keep your feet planted firmly on the ground. You will be on your own in the pioneering boondocks and good luck with that! Fishing Newark holiday barn rental Newark barn 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom sleeps 5 33 reviews from 102 / night 714 / week 1 / 20 Holiday barn in Newark Newark barn 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom sleeps 5 44 reviews from 101 / night 706 / week 1 / 18 Cottage rental in Newark Newark cottage 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom sleeps 4 13 reviews from 92 / night Tel: At times of high flood the Trent reaches out almost to the A1 At Carlton. Welcome to the Midland Angling Society. NG16 The opening of the Trent and Mersey Canal in 1777 signalled the end of legal navigation beyond Cavendish Bridge, where the B5010 London Road crosses and where we reach the upstream limit of this project. , Best Answer From Peter in Australia: A hook will rust away in a fish, but it may take a while, especially if the hook is plated or made of thick metal. Same goes with a few spots in and around Nottingham, an area Im less familiar with than, say, the upper tidal and middle reaches. The second meadow down stream of Gunthorpe lock. Regarding Maltkiln Lane Fishery above Nether Lock, Newark. Good Luck. The river upstream of the W&D Campbell is controlled by the Barbel Society.. In 1676, despite only having 86 inhabitants, Barton had two pubs! In reality the situation is likely to end soon when work on the proposed hydro-power station is completed. Boats from the Trent traded across the world in times gone by and if youre looking for tangible evidence of port Martons nautical past then check out the church yard where youll find a Millennium anchor dredged from the Trent. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. I actually hold a ticket for the opposite bank and you are effectively poaching in our water without making a contribution to the running of it. Feel free to enjoy or ignore as you will. Road access to Winthorpe crossing 400 yards from river, only 2 miles from Newark Station. Regatta Lake remains the only venue where England has won the World Angling Championships on home soil (so to speak). The operations were periodically halted by the discovery of the tusks and teeth of mammoths which had to be recorded by palaeontologists before digging could continue. Below Fiskerton on the North bank is a day ticket stretch controlled by the NPS, tickets in advance from the Post Office on Main Street. Its possibly hard to believe but Holme Marsh village was once situated on the West bank of the River Trent until the cataclysmic flood of 1575 which changed the course of the river. We begin our journey near Gainsborough. Superb read, helped immensely locating start and ends if my SAA stretches. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". The caves were still inhabited until around 1924 when the last family (the Shore family) moved out. Theres z fashion among carpists to use 3.5 test rods in puddles and puddles, led by influencers who should know better. What have been landed and photographed from here are some pretty impressive catfish. Heres an extract from a poem describing the great flood of 1875. NG6 9JA. Mines a pint! The usual range of the River Trent at Gunthorpe LVL is between 0.35m and 1.39m. The pegs around the lake are not as many as you would expect taking the size of the lake in to account. Great work clear boundaries shown. Baits dont blow. Copyright 2023 Ltd. Co. Reg. Prior to the mid-18th Century there were only two bridge crossings of the river through the entire thirty maps featured here, one at Newark and one at Nottingham (Hethbeth Bridge). Mapcarta, the open map. Park behind pegs. Its an area that receives next to no pressure compared with the rest of the river. Kingfisher Lake is for our affiliated Kingfisher Angling Club members only and not to be fished by the standard Ashfield Club membership. This is a day ticket water although a key is required for access. Would like to see more rivers please! A prime fishing location. Collectively the clubs listed below manage fishing rights on the majority of the river covered by this guide. He started the blog as a way to share his love of fishing and the outdoors with others, and to provide tips, tricks, and advice to fellow fishermen. Regards Matt G Gareth Davies Member A stiff poker of a chucking stick? Strictly no cutting trees or reeds at any time this is a wildlife reserve and this will be done by the bailiffs after prior consultation with the committee and Severn Trent Water. So could you tell me where on the Trent nowadays can you park your vehicle behind your peg? This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Fox Covert Fisheries fishery added to map, contacts in day ticket fisheries. Tel: 01159 728338, Eastwood Angling Centre, 91 Nottingham Rd, Eastwood. The length is also subject to match bookings, particularly at weekends. It's famous for the old 2,000-peg Trent Angling Championships, trotting the stream for roach on the Burton Joyce Golden Mile, and now the haunt of anglers in pursuit of big carp and barbel. This lock is a popular part of the River Trent and a great place to stop off and explore the Nottinghamshire countryside. Please note also that on all these specimen waters all the relevant big fish gear is required i.e. Hi Prince Albert AS has fishin on the Trent at Burton and Alrewash, some more in the upper reaches. It has more species of fish than any other river of its size in North America.It supports 139 rare and imperiled species,including ten fish and mussel species listed under the US Endangered Species Act. The way I would approach it is choose the area that suits you, tidal/ non- tidal, easiest access, left bank or right bank, gradually narrowing down your choice. Ive got a question regarding rods for casting to the far bank at Fiskerton. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. Perhaps your contacts at the Mail may be able to assist, it was featured in their were fish pages. The carp can be caught right under your rod tip in the pads or from the wall which is around 30 metres out. Long Eaton Victoria AC control two meadows down from Cranfleet Lock. Bob. This fishery offers20 pegs of a varying degree with parking behindmostpegs.. The southern channel at this point was used for powering mills as it became too shallow for navigation. Ive just spent an entire evening reading and reminiscing. Those who exhibit a taste for the macabre might wish to check out the Just Beer Micropub in Swan and Salmon Yard. Once it gets to end of October you cant get a bite on float so April and may would give us a bit longer to enjoy this fantastic river. Its scope is limited to the middle, lower and tidal river. And thats at normal levels. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. Fabulous read and very helpful. This is the spot where notorious kidnapper Michael Sams held estate agent Stephanie Slater in a coffin-like box inside a wheelie-bin for eight days in 1992, demanding a ransom of 140,000. Later he moved to Huntingdon and so became even more famous for his exploits on the Ouse and the Fens describing his fishing life thus: During 46 years I have roamed 16 counties, have cast my lines in the waters of 25 rivers, and have seen much to instruct and very much to interest.. When approaching the town/leaving the town (depending on which direction you have come from) turn off at Millgate (one way road). I shall resist the temptation to draw comparisons with Brexit! 2022.06.25 Map 25 South bank now controlled by Clifton Grove Angling Club. We do not allow fires at any time only for care taking purposes again after being discussed by the committee. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. One of the prettier reaches of the middle Trent. Sometimes called the conveyor stretch. Others have suggested it derives from the Romano-British trisantona. Please use the club web sites listed above to check the limits of access, parking restrictions and whether permits are available on the bank or must be purchased in advance/ where from/ prices/ etc. How different it must gave been in those days when the mode of transport was train, or horse and carriage? Where can I fish for barbel on the Trent? The fish are strong and athletic, as you would expect in the strong current. Almost afraid, they hurried along by the houses. The cave network has Scheduled Ancient Monument protection equal to that of Stonehenge, making Nottingham Caves a site of vast importance to the heritage of the United Kingdom. I do like to make this guide as accurate as possible but Im currently struggling to accurately pin down a 560 yard stretch at Conygre Farm at Hoveringham that is controlled by Derbyshire Angling Club. And some clubs who have no presence at all. Who hasnt heard of the Ferry Field, Nelson Field, Peg 187, Gunthorpe Bridge, the Cherry Orchard or the Shelford Shallows? Just getting back into the freshwater fishing and i am going to get a Hull book and a Scunthorpe book. The Cahaba River is one of the most biodiverse waterways on Earth. Fishing for shad, catfish, bream, bass, and pickerel in the Trent River. Youll find a bit more depth than that here today. Your email address will not be published. Some attribute Isaac Walton with it having 30 species (French: trente). Or go down the stepped up carp rod route, but is that what you really want? (Match bookings available). How deep is the River Trent at Gunthorpe? Farndon.. NG24 3SD. The original course (in medieval times can clearly be seen today. Angling Times 23 September 2021 anglingtimes.co.uk THE biggest barbel of the season has been landed from the River Thames, weighing an almighty 20lb 9oz and falling to the Warks Avon barbel record smashed! No boating to areas where you cant cast eg around snags. Regards Kev. There are few clearer examples of how the Trents course has changed through history than at Shelford. In terms of swim choice on smaller rivers in low / normal water conditions, you will find barbel almost anywhere, from slow deep pools to fast shallow glides and everywhere in-between. Sadly the story was not written down until a century later (by Henry of Huntingdon) who gives no location and it may even have been a myth or a fable. JZEFA PISUDSKIEGO 15, BIAA PODLASKA, Lubelskie. Please note night fishing is for permit holders only. Maggots and casters still catch fish. NG11 OAZ Two fields of river bank downstream from Thrumpton ferry (second & third meadow). This is archetypical barbel country in a wide open landscape. Great work bob well done all they need to do is lift close season on rivers now its not heavely match fished any longer. Bobs Island is located in the centre of Newark-on-Trent and only a couple of minutes drive from the A46. The aim of the improvements was to increase the minimum depth from a mere 2 feet (0.6 m) to 3 feet (0.9 m). RIVER LEA, KINGS WEIR, BROXBOURNE, HERTS. My pleasure to help even in a small way. So many stretches of different types of river to go at. thanks for going to the trouble Thanks for your advice Bob dont want a carp rod i want to see that coloured tip on the end. Trent Fishing Club (Dunham left bank only), A1 Pits, Smeatons Caravan Park, Bobs Island and Spring Lakes (Attenborough). 2023.01.24 Matt Bray has offered a bit of clarity regarding the Derby County water below Hoveringham but it still leaves a gap that I have no information for. 2023.01.24 Map 9. Thanks again. *** Note: Maltkiln Lane Fishery (Summer 2020). Check the individual web sites. The Dyke itself is heavily modified and was rerouted and canalised in 1772. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Anyone looking for this feature today should have little difficulty identifying the location if they study the map below. Indeed Holme was the crossing point to Langford (long ford) but today they are both on the East bank. Just reached Nottingham, but thought Id comment on my journey so far..really enjoyable reading about this gem of a river never fished it, yet. Great information, Bob. Thanks for taking the time to build this, must of been a labour of love! A fascinating and challenging stretch of water containing a weir, islands, the Sawley Cut, River Derwent confluence, the Trent and Mersey Canal junction plus the start of what some deem to be the upper Trent (personally I feel it starts at the point beyond which navigation is no longer allowed, but thats a personal whim). The Midland Angling Society have 140 pegs on the River Trent available for pleasure and match fishing producing some of the best fishing and value for money on the river. This is a fantastic read and extremely informative. can you list any clubs or tickets allowing night fishing that are near a train station with reasonable taxi access?.i currently struggle to collingham from newark ng by taxi,not telling them how bad the road is! There is a vast network of caves beneath the city, carved out by hand in the soft sandstone rock by prospective dwellers. Seeing the boy in deep water, Ronnie swam out to him and pulled him to the landing stage from where he was carried back to his mother. It also offers great roach fishing in the autumn. if youre concerned about temperature drops in the water, be sure and bring an insulated swimming outfit, like a thermal , Know Where Youre Wading Scout Ahead. Clifton Bridge (right bank) no fishing identified. What is worth noting is that there is a demolished railway bridge approximately 200 metres below Toll Bridge. Here is one of the biggest pike ever from the River Trent and it was caught by an angler fishing from a kayak! Think anyone can access their waters page on the website. The whole of Nottinghams Embankment is free and easy access by taxi from Nottingham Station. Fantastic guide produced with an immense amount of dedication. It may be slow and deep compared with other areas but be in no doubt there are some absolutely huge chub and barbel in these reaches. This is now a dreamy stretch of mostly natural river, controlled almost exclusively by the Nottingham Piscatorial Society. Opened in 1897, it consists of 59 arches spread either side of four metal girder spans which cross the river itself. Of course there are better areas within the stretches but that shouldnt take you long to work out. Owning Fiskerton and also Worsborough Reservoir was almost as good as having permission to print its own money. Hope to cut my teeth this year and begin to build up some knowledge to carry forward. 01159 301816, Bennington Bait, Valley Ln, Long Bennington. The River Trent rises in North Staffordshire, flowing for some 250 miles. Tel: NG16 3GH 01773 710775, Gerrys Of Nottingham, 96-100 Radford Blvd. For boundaries, venue specific rules, Booking/ obtaining tickets/ prices, etc, please visit the respective web sites. Notably, the Complex also includes a stretch of the River Trent. As we enter Nottingham this is perhaps the perfect opportunity to point out that the folk of this fair city, once famous for its lace industry, and John Player cigarettes, have only recently stopped living in caves. This area can be bream city in the right pegs but if you target them rest assured you will also cross paths with some big barbel. Except perhaps that 30 years earlier, the Trent had a thriving Salmon run. A different night syndicate operates on the rest of the stretch. Night fishing is permitted on this stretch which is popular with Carp and Barbel anglers. 2020.06.14 Maps 4 and 5. appreciate all the time and effort its taken you and others Kingfisher Lake is for our affiliated Kingfisher Angling Club members only and not to be fished by the standard Ashfield Club membership. By clicking Accept, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. The name means the homestead of Snots people. Ian Potts, who was on an island opposite the bank at the time, said the fisherman could. Beyond that is Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust who may deny it, but elements within in hold an anti-angling stance. Thought not. Crossing the Trent was dangerous and challenging in historical times. The island between the two weirs (Nabbs Island) is C&RT owned but fishing rights belong to Scunthorpe who do not allow fishing from the island at all (to protect Ladypits to the south of the island). It also offers great roach fishing in the autumn. It certainly wont hurt. Muscular, torpedo-shaped bars of gold for me, big barbel are the ultimate quarry for late summer and autumn. We have 140 pegs available 2021/2022 prices to be announced end of March. Contact in advance is always recommended with the exception of Collingham and A1 Pits. Twas a night to be remembered, not a night to go to bed, Men were watching full of restlessness and fear, For the angry skies were roaring loud and moonless overhead, And the river sounding nearer and more near. With no further ado, lets hit the river. Details courtesy of Andrew Rouse. Man has intervened to prevent further trespassing by the river. Can you spot the course of the Old Trent? For example, did you know that the Great Nottingham Cheese Riot took place in 1764 and that the mayor was knocked over by a large cheese? NG12 2LU, River Trent, Gunthorpe "Pentons field" NG14 7FB, River Trent, Wilford Ferry Field. It would be all over social media before he dried his hair! Heavy leads may be essential depending on the tides. All pegs above Clifton Bridge up to the Grove farm entrance plus a few pegs below the bridge. Tel: 07973 322575. Hi, fantastic read. He lived down Holme Road, on the naked edge of town, facing across the river meadows towards Sneinton Hermitage and the steep scarp of Colwick Wood. What cannot be seen is that this used to be the southernmost boundary of Sherwood Forest. Many of the participants used it and on your permission, I will be including your maps in a video I am producing about the event for YouTube. To understand fully the meaning of Trespasser one only needs to see how the course has wandered here. The Domesday survey of 1086 records half a fishery and a third part of another in the Radcliffe manor held by William Peverel, while other records refer to salmon, barbel and eels caught locally. Now imagine if there was a guide like this for every major river in the country. River Trent, Gunthorpe "Pentons field" NG14 7FB The second meadow down stream of Gunthorpe lock. The best suited club for you then practically picks itself. If this rule abused the use of boats WILL be withdrawn. Did you know that when King Canute performed his unsuccessful attempt to turn back the tide in the 11th Century it may have been in the River Trent at Gainsborough? from popular Foy's Fishing Lakes, which offers freshwater fishing for a small fee. River Trent, Thrumpton. Depending on when you head over the parking is free too. If you feel you can help with updates, please dont hesitate to use the sites CONTACT ME facility or message me via Facebook. Oh, and the car park near the rowing centre is reputedly popular with the dogging fraternity! When it comes to big fish potential only a fool would rule out the lowest reaches. Night fishing is now members only with the exception that a 35 yard stretch at Carlton Ferry Lane, Collingham NG23 7LZ, controlled by Rob Lee (07740074033). Search for information about Caythorpe and theres little to be found. Limited access but home to some big fish. Bob Roberts Fishing information for the complete angler, http://www.facebook.com/retfordanglingsupplies/posts/255098682573003, Book Review Before I Forget by Rod Hutchinson, Book Review The First Seventy Years Archie Braddock. what species is grogu and yoda,